Getting to be that time again

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Upgrades coming in 2 months. What is going to give me good radio, battery, screen, storage and build quality similar to the RMHD?
Should I even be thinking S5 as a business user who's often in rural Michigan?
One of the things that led to getting the RMHD was voice & data use simultaneously in 3g area (which there are still many in Michigan).
Will M8 or S5 support simultaneous use in 3g?
Is there Motorola product I should have on my shortlist?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're on Verizon, since you have a Razr Maxx HD. I don't think there are any current phones in the Verizon lineup that can do simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You might want to consider switching to another provider that uses GSM (like AT&T or T-Mobile), where that is possible, although you'd obviously need to check how their service is in your area as well.

If you want to stick with Verizon, have you thought about the Droid Maxx? Same great battery, with essentially the same features and performance as the Moto X. Plus, it seems to be built like a tank.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I assume you're on Verizon, since you have a Razr Maxx HD. I don't think there are any current phones in the Verizon lineup that can do simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You might want to consider switching to another provider that uses GSM (like AT&T or T-Mobile), where that is possible, although you'd obviously need to check how their service is in your area as well.

If you want to stick with Verizon, have you thought about the Droid Maxx? Same great battery, with essentially the same features and performance as the Moto X. Plus, it seems to be built like a tank.

Both the original HTC One and the new One support this.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This was one of those obscure requirements that led me to the RMHD to begin with. It would definitely be a deal-breaker, as I'm in 3g areas often. I might need to put the RMHD back in its protective case and stop living so dangerously (thinking a new phone was only a few weeks away).

SmokeNMirrors

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The RMHD is still a great phone and eventually due KitKat (version?). I plan on running mine through the next generation at least, perhaps two. There's no real reason to give up on its features, especially the peripheral hardware and radio. I still want HDMI on a wire and SD too. If it could somehow be upgraded to 2GB of RAM it could run another 4 years!

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, after 8 months of watching and waiting, I find absolutely no compelling reason to switch to another device. Just changed my wallpaper back to one of the droid images that came with the device and pulled it out of the protective case.... it's like having a new phone all over again. :) (not really, but refreshing anyway)

The size, styling, build quality and features of this thing are unrivaled.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My contract ends next month. I am thinking of going with the Droid Turbo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Good luck with that if you go. Just looking in the Turbo "where did you come from" thread, there are number of users that came from the RMHD.

If I went to a dedicated GPS, I might consider it, but It's not just the single 4g radio limitation of the Turbo that creates an issue for me, it's the lack of SVDO (simultaneous voice & data in 3g areas) on all Verizon phones right now. Killer.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
They're going to fix simultaneous voice/data over 4g by switching voice to VoLTE when that's ready for the Turbo.

3g only had a few models support simultaneous voice/data. The Thunderbolt and the RMHD were 2 of those models, which covers the last 4 years of my usage.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with that if you go. Just looking in the Turbo "where did you come from" thread, there are number of users that came from the RMHD.

If I went to a dedicated GPS, I might consider it, but It's not just the single 4g radio limitation of the Turbo that creates an issue for me, it's the lack of SVDO (simultaneous voice & data in 3g areas) on all Verizon phones right now. Killer.
I will have to check that thread out. I have actually considered getting a dedicated GPS device for the car. However, the phone is nice because I can do music and GPS at the same time. Not sure if I can do that with a dedicated device without switching inputs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk