Apps nearly always need to reload?

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If I understand Android correctly, the current app is added to the "cache" when leaving it via the Home or Task Switcher buttons, allowing it to be opened quickly again the next time.

And I realize that Android bumps apps out of the cache when needed, so in theory if it's been awhile since you've last used an app, odds are it's not in the cache anymore and will reload from scratch when opened again.

But it seems on my Razr Maxx HD, apps nearly always reload, rather than open quickly again from the cache. I might be able to switch between two apps without reloading, but anything more than that ends up reloading apps.

This ends up making my phone feel slow to use much of the time, at least when switching apps. It's quick when apps don't need to reload, but that's a rare occasion. Is it just my Razr Maxx HD? Or is it a common problem from "only" having 1GB memory?

What I find curious is that my 2nd-generation Nexus 7 never has this problem. Switching apps nearly always happens instantly. But why? What's the difference between the two?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are any of the Developer Options on? Go to Settings>Developer Options and make sure the "Don't keep activities" option is unchecked.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Are any of the Developer Options on? Go to Settings>Developer Options and make sure the "Don't keep activities" option is unchecked.

Great idea! But yes, it's unchecked ;)

That is kinda how it behaves though - as if I only have enough memory to keep one big app (like a browser) or 2-3 smaller apps in memory at once.

Just curious how everyone else's Maxx HD behaves? Do you see "Reloading" more often than not when opening/switching through apps? Or are you able to flip between Twitter, Browser, Email, etc. without the apps reloading their page?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Look at Settings>Apps>Running. What apps are usually open? If there are a bunch of bloatware apps that you never use, try disabling them.

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I've seen a lot more of the behavior you describe lately. And my battery life has dropped off considerably as well over the past two months. Along with a lot of problems like missed notifications and problems sending sms. I used to absolutely love this phone and now I can't stand it.

Posted via Android Central App

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who are experiencing sluggish performance and assuming you have cleared the cache partition, have you tried your phone in safe mode? I went into safe mode for the first time yesterday and the phone was of course very snappy. But when i returned to regular mode it remained much faster than before, and I had to sign into a lot of my apps again. I'm not sure what exactly it did but it is worth a try. Of course a FDR will fix your problems too, but with 4.4 very close I would hold off on that.

To get into safe mode hold power as if you are powering your phone down. When the prompt pops up tap and hold on 'power off' and accept the prompt. To get out of safe mode just reboot from there. Try it and see if it helps.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess I should ask: what is considered normal?

For example, I can switch between Twitter and Opera just fine. Open both apps, scroll down a bit in each, then use the Task Switcher button to flip between them... and neither reloads. Both are there waiting where I left off, opening instantly. Works great.

But if I introduce K-9, and try to switch Twitter, then Opera, then K-9... K-9 will reload (taking a few moments). If I then switch to Opera, it reloads the whole page again (taking seconds). Etc.

I realize apps come in different sizes, so it's difficult to make an objective test. But shouldn't I be able to rotate amoungst Twitter, Opera and K-9 at least without apps reloading? Or is that normal?

What bugs me is my 2nd-gen Nexus 7 almost never seems to reload - or it's so fast I just don't notice it. But it's really not all THAT much faster spec-wise, is it? But it does have more RAM, and has KitKat, so could that be the difference?

P.S. Yes, I clear the system cache weekly. I'm not running Task Killers or anything weird like that, just the usual social apps. I use Apex Launcher. All possible bloatware disabled.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I guess I should ask: what is considered normal?

For example, I can switch between Twitter and Opera just fine. Open both apps, scroll down a bit in each, then use the Task Switcher button to flip between them... and neither reloads. Both are there waiting where I left off, opening instantly. Works great.

But if I introduce K-9, and try to switch Twitter, then Opera, then K-9... K-9 will reload (taking a few moments). If I then switch to Opera, it reloads the whole page again (taking seconds). Etc.

I realize apps come in different sizes, so it's difficult to make an objective test. But shouldn't I be able to rotate amoungst Twitter, Opera and K-9 at least without apps reloading? Or is that normal?

What bugs me is my 2nd-gen Nexus 7 almost never seems to reload - or it's so fast I just don't notice it. But it's really not all THAT much faster spec-wise, is it? But it does have more RAM, and has KitKat, so could that be the difference?

P.S. Yes, I clear the system cache weekly. I'm not running Task Killers or anything weird like that, just the usual social apps. I use Apex Launcher. All possible bloatware disabled.

It is probably just because of the ram limitations. Kitkat should improve our performance dramatically. You can try what i mentioned above, as well as clearing data for your apps.

Victor1704

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I was having similar problems with my S7 Edge. Drove me crazy for weeks until I finally stumbled on this quick fix. It surely helped!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance