RAZR MAXX HD: Wifi issue with 4.4.2

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
After I uppgraded to 4.4.2, I have to turn off bluetooth to connect to WiFi. I use bluetooth contiuosly because of my eardong, and it was working great before the update. Is there any way to fixs this issue? Evereytime I want to go WiFi, I have to turn off bluetooth....:'(

tptshoe

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had some strange wifi issues as well, though I didn't try turning bluetooth off. I found I could only connect to wifi if I first went into airplane mode (which, of course, turns bluetooth off).

Today it seems to have spontaneously fixed itself, so hopefully yours will do the same.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
On both my phone and my wife's, it lost all Bluetooth information: devices they were paired with and the BT names I gave them to override the defaults (which were the same on both phones and not too useful to determine which one the car was paired with). After I renamed and re-paired, everything's fine. Wi-Fi works fine with BT on. It even fixed a problem I was having. I couldn't beam between our phones unless I turned off BT with ICS. But now Wi-Fi, BT and NFC all work at the same time.

You might try unpairing all your BT devices and then re-pairing. It must have wiped ours for a reason, but I know that some people have their pairings survive the update.

tptshoe

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I apparently spoke to soon earlier. I'm having the exact same problem.. with wifi on and working, if I turn bluetooth on, it works for a while, but eventually stops... it completely disconnects the wifi and goes to mobile data.

I have a very limited data plan because I have readily available wifi everywhere I go. But I also make extensive use of bluetooth. Not good. If I don't see a solution today, I'll probably have to go into the Verizon store for a replacement.

notbitter2

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. If I have bluetooth and WiFi active at the same time, eventually (usually within ten or fifteen minutes) the WiFi connection will freeze up. If I turn off the bluetooth, the WiFi connection will instantly unfreeze. Having to turn off bluetooth to get a stable WiFi connection is a huge bummer (funny, having WiFi on doesn't impact my bluetooth connections).

I've spent a bunch of time looking at threads and articles describing the same issue. Short answer, apparently this bug doesn't affect everyone, it is an issue with the bluetooth coding (which is new) in Kitkat, it isn't just our device, and despite a dozen or so listed workarounds, there doesn't appear to be a fix. Trust me, I've tried everything to get this fixed from two factory resets to renaming the bluetooth device profile, resetting my two routers, turning off 5 GHz, deleting and re-pairing my devices, running ART instead of Dalvik, running in safe mode. I'm probably going to just give in and get a replacement device. Sigh.

Potent68

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had WiFi issues since receiving the KitKat update. My WiFi would recognize the network, and say it was saved, but refuses to connect to it. The only cure I could find online that worked for me was removing the SIM, rebooting the phone, and reinstalling the SIM. Sometimes I do this several times a day. I did not think about bluetooth interfering so I turned it off and will see how it works.

The only devices I use my bluetooth for are FitBit One, and one of our car stereos, but I haven't used either one since upgrading.

notbitter2

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think Mark from Motorola Support Forums has solved my problem. It turns out there is a known issue with Bluetooth Low Energy devices like a Fitbit (which I have). They posted a Help Topic on the Motorola site that states, "Connections between your phone and Bluetooth Low Energy devices such as FitBit or Beets HRM may disrupt Wi-Fi communications."

I turned my link off in the Fitbit app (the Fitbit wasn't even listed as a paired device and I hadn't paired it since the update, but the app must have automatically kept the connection when it was restored) and I've been able to maintain a WiFi connection for the last hour.

dbfrye

May 21, 2014
Visit site
For me Wifi and bluetooth work fine at the same time until I attempt to sync with my fitbit. The fitbit app spins and finally gives up. The wifi says it is connected but nothing will go through. The quality of the audio on my stereo headphones (Phonak hearing aid) gets worse. If I shutdown the wifi and then turn it back on it refuses to connect. It does see all the wifi networks around me. When I try to force it to connect it flashes a connecting message and then goes back to saying the network saved. As soon as I turn off the bluetooth the wifi connects and works fine. If I turn off the wifi and turn on the bluetooth the fitbit syncs fine. Once it is done I can turn the wifi back on and both work until I try to sync with the fitbit again (I do this manually, have the periodic sync turned off).

My Phonak hearing aid have always had a hard time using BT with the phone when the wifi is also on. It stutters very badly. This was true even before the upgrade. I have to keep the phone very close (a very few inches) to keep it from stuttering. I can't even put the phone in my holster on my belt without stuttering. Turning off wifi helps but still a problem. The Phonak works fine with bluetooth from my computer. I can walk a number of feet away before it starts stuttering.

1: The fitbit did not create an issue until the upgrade to KitKat on this phone. Fitbit also works with other BT LE devices such as iPhone and Samsung. Blaming the fitbit is not an answer. Are other Moto devices having the same issue with fitbit?
2: The BT is locking up the wifi after attempting to use fitbit. Is the error handling in the code so bad that it can't deal with something it doesn't like and just hangs the BT (and/or wifi) in a bad state? Even if the fitbit is causing an issue why can't the phone recover without having to turn things off?

I've been really excited about getting a Moto 360 this summer but this is making me nervous.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had WiFi issues since receiving the KitKat update. My WiFi would recognize the network, and say it was saved, but refuses to connect to it.

Same issue here. My phone drops from my home wifi and when I try to reconnect it says the network is saved but won't connect until I reboot the phone. This never happened prior to kitkat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34