RAZR MAXX HD: Problem since KitKat

nomutthere

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Since the KitKat update, I have not been able to receive texts through my Kenwood DNX690HD. Prior to the update, a box would pop up on the Kenwood's screen indicating that I have a text. That feature no longer exists. I unpaired the phone and Kenwood receiver, deleted both profiles and re-paired the devices. I'm able to send and receive calls via the Kenwood, but no more text notifications. I updated the Kenwood's firmware to the latest version, still no texts. I'm at a loss. Is there perhaps a setting that I'm missing somewhere in the phone that is preventing the texts from reaching the Kenwood? All of the settings on the Kenwood seem to be correct. Any help would be appreciated.

cmajpwc

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a JVC head unit that used to display a box saying I had a new message and play a small tone. After the Kit Kat upgrade, this feature is absent. I feel it has to do the the Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Protocol) that Google made standard in Android 4.4, and that it does not play nicely because of the notification listening service that all devices running Android 4.3 use. My theory is that without an actual app, the phone can no longer send (or receive, in your case) information about messages. The problem with this is simply that while you are connected to Bluetooth, Android doesn't recognize that it is supposed to send information about your texts to the head unit.

So, the theory I have is that if the head unit had an actual app for Android that allowed for the head unit to actually read the messages through the notification listener service, then this feature will return. After reading this I remembered there was an Android app from JVC/Kenwood that allowed the control of the head unit through your phone. The JVC version is "JVC Smart Music Control". There's a Kenwood version called "Kenwood Music". Try installing that and see if it helps. I just installed the JVC version and hopefully that helps, although its sad that now I need another app to do something that happened before. Not that I mind that much, but without any information about why this happened it makes it difficult to understand.

Oh, and don't text and drive. Haha.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
2 Things here.

One my Ford SYNC will not receive Text's
Two Every time I send an MMS, it shows as I have a new one on the app icon notification? It seems to clear by itself every once an awhile.

cmajpwc

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Just an update: the JVC app didn't fix the issue. Texts still didn't come through the head unit. Which sucks, but its not like I expected it to work in the first place. Haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1