First Thoughts / Impressions

GRB11

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Picked up the Maxx on Thursday afternoon after returning the Razr last week. Figured Thursday was a wash, so I simply recharged the battery, activated the phone, moved data from my OG, and downloaded the apps I prefer during the afternoon/ evening. So Friday was the test. Charged the phone Thursday overnight, and officially started on the battery at 7am Friday morning:

- Purposely used only the Maxx on Friday for all my business/ personal calls, which were many,
- Call clarity was excellent when talking directly on the phone or via bluetooth in the car,
- Feel of the phone was far more substantial than the Razr, which when I had it, felt it was fragile and was conscious of that. This phone has the thickness and heft I like, but it's really thin and easily fits in my pants pocket or in a jacket or in a shirt, you get the idea, no need for a belt case.
- Frequently checked emails (2 accounts), used text messaging, internet via Dolphin HD, navigation,
- Checked and queried the Weather Channel app, which was running in the background, several times during the day,
- Watched several videos and listened to music via MotoCast, directly from the SD card, and Pandora through the night,
- At 1:55am Satuday morning, I called it a night and put the phone on charge with 20% battery left. Note that the battery indicator turned red once it fell below 20%.

That's just about a 19-hour session with some battery life remaining. I'm very pleased. Great phone.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Still trying to determine how long, on average, the battery will last but some impressions after a couple of days:

- Size: The phone is very wide and while my hands are big enough to hold it securely, I could see it being an issue for those with smaller hands. Moto probably could have sacrificed some thinness for less width and height and nobody would have complained. I sure wouldn't have. The trend towards phones having 4.5" or larger screens is going to make them more like tablets and I would question their utility as a portable phone at some point.
- Screen: stunning, even with Pentile. Deep blacks and vibrant colors. It's odd that some of the built-in wallpapers on the original Razr are not on the Maxx but I've added those and found some more online that are just gorgeous on the phone. I may try one of the apps that rotates wallpapers since they all look so good that I would love to alternate them.
- Interface: The Moto interface is OK. After using the Incredible with Sense, it's not that much of a transition and I can pretty much replicate much of what I had and liked on the HTC. Screen changes and app access are pretty smooth and fast.
- Signal: Good hold on 4G signals and what seems to be smooth shift to 3G when needed.
- Ringtones: Pretty loud on the built-ins and on the customs that I've added. The vibrate alert is good, It's not as strong as the LG Spectrum but much stronger than my Incredible.
- Call quality: Much better than my Incredible. The voice quality has a very solid mellow tone and I haven't gotten the "warbling" that I do on the Incredible with calls to/from some specific cell phones.

SuperJETT

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
After around 30 hours being off the charger, I was at 50% so charged it overnight, rebooted, then unplugged and plan on running it down over the next couple of day. I'm a fairly light user and thinking I can get 3 days out of it.

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope as new Droids come out, they come out with similar battery power. My wife has a BB and wanted the Droid 4 which comes out soon w/ a keyboard, but I bet the battery life will stink on it. I may get her the Maxx, iPhone 4S, or give her my TB so I can get the Maxx. She isn't as picky or into the newest thing as I am.

tmonferdini

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Screen off and lock doesn't work on Motorola devices. I also installed it and it kept taking me back to the lock screen. I searched the market and found Screen off FX...way cooler and works right with the MAXX. You can change how it goes out and change the icon color and style (a little).

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the pain of LAG afte LAG after LAG and low battery life on the Droid Charge I coudl not take it anymore and went and got a MAXX. WOW! Zippy and beautiful screen with no LAG and battery life seems far superior. It is funny I don;t really care what UI is ont he phone since the first thing I do it load Go Launcher and the AI Type Keyboard whihc basically makes all these phones act and look the same to me. I have to say I am impressed with the build quality and sound quality. Seothing about Moto touch screens just seem to be a tad less sensitive than Droid Charge especially when hitting anything that is near the edges of the glass, but all very tolerable. Bluetooth hooks up much better with my car than the Droid Charge did, GB make BT real quirky in the Charge in my Car. The feel of the Maxx in the hand is not as nice as the Charge, but I quickly got used to it. Overall a huge step up from the Charge.

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Bought one today for my wife. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Can't comment on battery yet.
I like the feel of the phone. I actually like the feel better than my GNex.
I'd like more haptic feedback, but that is strictly my opinion. Speed feels every bit as fast as my GNex.
One other quick comment....I didn't see my 5Ghz wi-fi access points, only 2.4Ghz. I am guessing there is no 5Ghz antenna on the Maxx, while the GNex can see my 5Ghz access points. This makes a difference for me as my 5Ghz 802.11n APs are quite a bit faster than my 2.4Ghz 802.11n APs.

This phone is perfect for my wife (battery life trumps ICS and HD screen), while the GNex is perfect for me (love ICS and HD screen, and 5Ghz).

Can anyone confirm the 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz issue for sure?

I only get 2.4Ghz on my POS BB and it is dog sloooooooooooooow. :'(

Would sincerely appreciate your input-thanks!

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to these reviews....im currently using a nexus and had a razr but returned it when the maxx was announced. Loved the razr but hated the battery life

Lol u are worse than me I got the Maxx still have the Razr. I could get 12 16 hrs out of the Razr nursing it. With data turned off. I have everything on except background data screen is at full brightness batt is pretty good. Got used to the extra weight and loving the build. Get ready to drop your G N
hahahahahahahahaha

radioboy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
the box says maxx on it, so I'm guessing they are slightly different--I could be wrong though, I don't have a standard razr to try it with.

There is a MAXX-specific dock. I know, because I have it. It doesn't work with ANY cases (even though the box says it will).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX