RZR to MAXX upgrade?

schrotzy

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my RZR on 12/30/11, and am now thinking of finding a way to exchange/upgrade to a MAXX. Does anyone know a way to do this without buying the MAXX at full price?

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Only suggestion is if you're on a family share plan, open a new line with the Maxx. Then transfer it to your line. Then put a dump phone on the new line for $9.99 a month. No other way around it.

Androidpwns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy rep said u don't even need a dump phone for the new line. Then just put new line on hold. Sell the old razr to recover some $ to someone that doesn't want a contract. I'm just waiting for BB to get some in stock.

Androidpwns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Androidpwns - why Best Buy vs. buying at VZW? Whats advantage if any?

The Good: Best Buy has a buy back program. http://www.bestbuy.com/buyback It basically protects u if the item u bought turns out to be bad (in various meanings of the term), cough Thunderbolt cough, or if some "super" item launches after ur trial period (30 days@ BB) is already over, aka Razr/Nexus vs. Razr Maxx. Cost depends on phone cost but in my case would have been $60 but instead was only $30 since I got Geek Squad Black Tie warranty protection, $10/month, at time of purchase. Turned out to be a good thing cause before I had a chance to get a cover it slipped out of my hand, corner hit tile, screen was trashed. I like BB warranty better because they will loan u an older model android smartphone while ur waiting for a replacement phone. So its worth the $3 more/month vs VZW for me just for that. The buy back price is based on the full retail price. In my case, I paid $200, full retail was $700. I will be taking it in w/in the 1st 7 months since purchase so I will get $350 back in BB gift card form.
The Bad: Only prob w that is that then to buy a new phone I am already under contract so its back to full retail if getting a brand new phone. And BB full retail is higher than VZW full retail. There is a way around that though. Also, VZW can sometimes offer different things than other places such as calling plan differences. There may be other benefits or drawbacks.
The Ugly: Androidpwns

Last edited:

rkortes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply, all good guidance. I will be paying full retail so looking for options.
Sooo you can't plug your phone in to your car, home or work charger for about a year and a half until you qualify for upgrade? How about one of those remote charger mabobs? Is the Razr battery really that bad?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Only suggestion is if you're on a family share plan, open a new line with the Maxx. Then transfer it to your line. Then put a dump phone on the new line for $9.99 a month. No other way around it.

I like the sound of this, but doesn't vzw require a data plan for the new line when you buy a smart phone? And can someone explain the "put the line on hold" comment?

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No, vzw just requires you have data on any line with a smartphone, regardless of which line was used to upgrade which line's phone...

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a razr maxx (just ordered an otter box commuter case for it, so it won't be a razr for long), and the battery definitely makes this phone something great (I have been using it almost non stop since nine am and still have 50% charge... on 4g lte.

Androidpwns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the sound of this, but doesn't vzw require a data plan for the new line when you buy a smart phone? And can someone explain the "put the line on hold" comment?

RE: "...on hold", call in or log in to ur VZW acct and there u can "Suspend" your service for a certain phone #...I assume it would ensure the lowest possible bill for that line (no possible extra charges) while maintaining your contract.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The longer you suspend your service, the longer your contract. Your contract lasts 2 years, suspend it 2 months get 2 months added to the end.

Phall97

May 22, 2010
Visit site
You can suspend one of two ways:
1) with payment - you still continue to pay the $9.99 and your contract continues to count down towards its end date
2) without payment - you don't pay the $9.99 but for every month you are in non paying suspension, you add another month to the end of your contract.

bortonpt

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You might check out swappa.com

Original razr's are selling for 400 there, and I'd suspect that when the maxx comes out it'll be listed by someone for a bit under retail (nexus is listed 500 ish, retail is 700 something i think) Anyway, you could sell your razr there for a fair bit and buy whatever you wanted.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You might check out swappa.com

Original razr's are selling for 400 there, and I'd suspect that when the maxx comes out it'll be listed by someone for a bit under retail (nexus is listed 500 ish, retail is 700 something i think) Anyway, you could sell your razr there for a fair bit and buy whatever you wanted.

Wow really....
I was thinking of doing the trade in and just getting the 148.00
Or shall I say the VZ recycle program....

cscharf16

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
You can sell your Razr on Craigs List if you are close to a city. I am in the Charlotte area, and posted mine and had it sold within 1 hour. Only lost $50.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21