I bought my RZR on 12/30/11, and am now thinking of finding a way to exchange/upgrade to a MAXX. Does anyone know a way to do this without buying the MAXX at full price?
    01-26-2012 04:37 PM
    Nope. Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Only suggestion is if you're on a family share plan, open a new line with the Maxx. Then transfer it to your line. Then put a dump phone on the new line for $9.99 a month. No other way around it.
    01-26-2012 04:54 PM
    Best Buy rep said u don't even need a dump phone for the new line. Then just put new line on hold. Sell the old razr to recover some $ to someone that doesn't want a contract. I'm just waiting for BB to get some in stock.
    01-26-2012 07:45 PM
    Androidpwns - why Best Buy vs. buying at VZW? Whats advantage if any?
    01-26-2012 09:23 PM
    Androidpwns - why Best Buy vs. buying at VZW? Whats advantage if any?
    The Good: Best Buy has a buy back program. http://www.bestbuy.com/buyback It basically protects u if the item u bought turns out to be bad (in various meanings of the term), cough Thunderbolt cough, or if some "super" item launches after ur trial period (30 days@ BB) is already over, aka Razr/Nexus vs. Razr Maxx. Cost depends on phone cost but in my case would have been $60 but instead was only $30 since I got Geek Squad Black Tie warranty protection, $10/month, at time of purchase. Turned out to be a good thing cause before I had a chance to get a cover it slipped out of my hand, corner hit tile, screen was trashed. I like BB warranty better because they will loan u an older model android smartphone while ur waiting for a replacement phone. So its worth the $3 more/month vs VZW for me just for that. The buy back price is based on the full retail price. In my case, I paid $200, full retail was $700. I will be taking it in w/in the 1st 7 months since purchase so I will get $350 back in BB gift card form.
    The Bad: Only prob w that is that then to buy a new phone I am already under contract so its back to full retail if getting a brand new phone. And BB full retail is higher than VZW full retail. There is a way around that though. Also, VZW can sometimes offer different things than other places such as calling plan differences. There may be other benefits or drawbacks.
    The Ugly: Androidpwns
    01-26-2012 10:38 PM
    Thanks for the detailed reply, all good guidance. I will be paying full retail so looking for options.
    01-27-2012 10:19 AM
    Thanks for the detailed reply, all good guidance. I will be paying full retail so looking for options.
    Sooo you can't plug your phone in to your car, home or work charger for about a year and a half until you qualify for upgrade? How about one of those remote charger mabobs? Is the Razr battery really that bad?
    01-27-2012 11:01 AM
    Nope. Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Only suggestion is if you're on a family share plan, open a new line with the Maxx. Then transfer it to your line. Then put a dump phone on the new line for $9.99 a month. No other way around it.
    I like the sound of this, but doesn't vzw require a data plan for the new line when you buy a smart phone? And can someone explain the "put the line on hold" comment?
    01-27-2012 01:49 PM
    No, vzw just requires you have data on any line with a smartphone, regardless of which line was used to upgrade which line's phone...
    01-27-2012 05:07 PM
    I have a razr maxx (just ordered an otter box commuter case for it, so it won't be a razr for long), and the battery definitely makes this phone something great (I have been using it almost non stop since nine am and still have 50% charge... on 4g lte.
    01-27-2012 05:09 PM
    I like the sound of this, but doesn't vzw require a data plan for the new line when you buy a smart phone? And can someone explain the "put the line on hold" comment?
    RE: "...on hold", call in or log in to ur VZW acct and there u can "Suspend" your service for a certain phone #...I assume it would ensure the lowest possible bill for that line (no possible extra charges) while maintaining your contract.
    01-27-2012 10:59 PM
    The longer you suspend your service, the longer your contract. Your contract lasts 2 years, suspend it 2 months get 2 months added to the end.
    01-28-2012 07:47 AM
    You can suspend one of two ways:
    1) with payment - you still continue to pay the $9.99 and your contract continues to count down towards its end date
    2) without payment - you don't pay the $9.99 but for every month you are in non paying suspension, you add another month to the end of your contract.
    01-28-2012 08:20 AM
    Why would you suspend with payment?LOL
    01-28-2012 08:23 AM
    what about the data plan? Wouldn't it be required for the new line?
    01-28-2012 01:47 PM
    You might check out swappa.com

Original razr's are selling for 400 there, and I'd suspect that when the maxx comes out it'll be listed by someone for a bit under retail (nexus is listed 500 ish, retail is 700 something i think) Anyway, you could sell your razr there for a fair bit and buy whatever you wanted.
    01-28-2012 02:56 PM
    You might check out swappa.com

Original razr's are selling for 400 there, and I'd suspect that when the maxx comes out it'll be listed by someone for a bit under retail (nexus is listed 500 ish, retail is 700 something i think) Anyway, you could sell your razr there for a fair bit and buy whatever you wanted.
    Wow really....
    I was thinking of doing the trade in and just getting the 148.00
    Or shall I say the VZ recycle program....
    01-28-2012 10:01 PM
    So you can't just buy the housing and battery for the maxx and stick your razor in it?
    01-29-2012 09:30 AM
    You can sell your Razr on Craigs List if you are close to a city. I am in the Charlotte area, and posted mine and had it sold within 1 hour. Only lost $50.
    02-04-2012 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD