I always hear people say they have a second "dummy" account that they use for upgrades. I tried doing the math and I don't see how this is a big difference in price or even worth it. Currently, my plan has the following:

-450 Talk + Unlimited Text (59.99)
    -Unlimited Data (29.99)

How would upgrading to a family plan make this cheaper? I'm assuming it's only cheaper if you already have a family plan and are adding to it? Otherwise, only up front is it cheaper, correct? Because I'd have to move to a $80 minimum plan + $10 a month for the additional line. Am I missing something here? I'm not sure if anyone still does this, but I remember the Verizon representative pushing this to my friend once before and she declined as it didn't seem reasonable in the long run. I figure it's not really a cheaper loop hole but I wanted to make sure as I sort of want a RAZR Maxx but $700 is not worth it to me. And with Verizon getting rid of the New Any 2 deal, I'm not a fan of keeping the same device for a long time.

Thanks for any clarification.
    02-10-2012 01:12 AM
    Personally, I don't think it is worth it, even if you are already on a Family plan and don't have to change that... Verizon is just trying to get you to pay the extra $10 a month for a line, plus the taxes. You might JUST break even if you have an existing family plan... but I'm not sure where you are getting the $80 minimum plan, since I have a $70 a month for the first two lines. I still did the math and even with a good sales person trying to sell me the idea I said no and bought smartphone out right at the time.

Maybe someone else will try to sell you on this idea, but I could not see it.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    02-10-2012 06:01 AM
    Personally, I don't think it is worth it, even if you are already on a Family plan and don't have to change that... Verizon is just trying to get you to pay the extra $10 a month for a line, plus the taxes. You might JUST break even if you have an existing family plan... but I'm not sure where you are getting the $80 minimum plan, since I have a $70 a month for the first two lines. I still did the math and even with a good sales person trying to sell me the idea I said no and bought smartphone out right at the time.

Maybe someone else will try to sell you on this idea, but I could not see it.
    That's what I thought and I told my friend not to do it at the time. The $80 plan I'm speaking of is Talk plus Text so it combines the two. You basically confirmed what I thought after doing the math. I thought I was adding something up incorrectly because I've seen this brought up so many times.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    02-10-2012 06:22 AM
    Personally, if I had an individual line, I wouldn't change my plan to a family plan for a phone.

But if you already had a family plan then it's up to you if it's worth it or not.

New phone cost around $600 (Droid Razr) plus taxes and activation fees so that would bring it around $650.
    Two year line cost about $13 or so a month with taxes. 20 months times $13/month is $260. Phone cost around $300 plus taxes and activation fee which would bring it to around $350 or so. Total is $610 that you spent on the phone. So you save $40.

But on a different phone like the RAZR MAXX, you save around $90 since the phone outright is $650 and with activation fees and taxes, that brings it t around $700.

And lets say the iPhone 4S 64gb, the device is $850 plus taxes and activation, it's around $900. Which would bring your saves to a little under $300.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    02-10-2012 06:33 AM
    I have a dummy line for upgrades. It's paying a fee to have another upgrade on the table basically. It's nice if you like to get a new phone each year. It's true the taxes aren't cool, that's a downfall that's not mentioned much. But to me it's less about the money and more about the extra upgrade.
    02-10-2012 09:54 PM
    ^ I like that idea... Probably going that route this summer...
    02-10-2012 10:26 PM
    I have a dummy line for upgrades. It's paying a fee to have another upgrade on the table basically. It's nice if you like to get a new phone each year. It's true the taxes aren't cool, that's a downfall that's not mentioned much. But to me it's less about the money and more about the extra upgrade.
    You had a family plan to begin with, right? So it was only an extra $10 a month?

02-10-2012 10:41 PM
    You had a family plan to begin with, right? So it was only an extra $10 a month?

Yeah, I had the family plan to begin with and an open line to use as the dummy.It's $10 a month but after taxes it's closer to $20.
    02-10-2012 11:08 PM
    Yeah, I had the family plan to begin with and an open line to use as the dummy.It's $10 a month but after taxes it's closer to $20.
    Definitely not worth it to me than. I'd much rather pay full retail for a new device if needed rather than pay $20 extra a month. Besides, it's probably more as the taxes in Illinois are unbelievable!
    02-10-2012 11:28 PM
    Definitely not worth it to me than. I'd much rather pay full retail for a new device if needed rather than pay $20 extra a month. Besides, it's probably more as the taxes in Illinois are unbelievable!
    I looked at the breakdown. Taxes wise, Verizon takes $2 and Chicago/Illinois takes another $6, bringing it to $18. You aren't kidding about those Illinois taxes.
    02-10-2012 11:41 PM
    I looked at the breakdown. Taxes wise, Verizon takes $2 and Chicago/Illinois takes another $6, bringing it to $18. You aren't kidding about those Illinois taxes.
    It's really a shame because I would like that Maxx because the extra battery comes in handy. Damn Illinois taxes.

02-10-2012 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD