My internet speed through the Speed Test app is about 3.2 mbps upload and download through 4g. However, I typically get 14 mbps down, 3.8 mbps up through my homes wifi. Are my 4g speeds normal? Kinda expected them to be on par with my cable internet/wifi speeds.

Also, my 4g data throughput seems very jerky and unstable. If I look at 4g speed graph, I see how the data rates jump around with high peeks and Valleys. This is reflected by how when i'm on 4g browsing online, sometimes sites would load really fast, sometimes it would take a while before anything moves and pics and texts start loading. All this in good 4g signal with at least 4 bars. The quality of my 4g connection is very shabby, even though my phones data connection doesn't alternate from 4g to 3g or anything like that. My wifi data throughput graph is fairly stable in contrast, and so is my internet browsing on wifi.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? I'm in the Huntsville, Alabama region btw.
    02-14-2012 10:06 PM
    All depends on where you are located. I get 6-10 down 1.5 up at my house. A mile away at my friends I'm at 20 down and 4 up. It is very inconsistent in the Philadelphia area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-14-2012 10:13 PM
    But is the connection stable? In other words, are your speeds at any given ONE location consistent and it doesnt appear to "jump around" within the same session?

Because sometimes I would load one website page pretty quick in one moment, and another moment the page load would stagnate and take forever to load, all within the same sitting session. Its like at one moment I have 4g speeds, then another minute it crawls slower than 3g, then it jumps back to 4g speeds, all within minutes of each other even when my phone shows 4 or 5 bars of 4g without it indicating any switching of radios.
    02-14-2012 11:47 PM
    But is the connection stable? In other words, are your speeds at any given ONE location consistent and it doesnt appear to "jump around" within the same session?

Because sometimes I would load one website page pretty quick in one moment, and another moment the page load would stagnate and take forever to load, all within the same sitting session. Its like at one moment I have 4g speeds, then another minute it crawls slower than 3g, then it jumps back to 4g speeds, all within minutes of each other even when my phone shows 4 or 5 bars of 4g without it indicating any switching of radios.
    First, speeds even in one location will vary depending on how many people are demanding data from that given tower... the second and probably biggest is one web page is not always the same size as another web page, images, javascript, include files you are not seeing, so unless you can load the exact same page after clearing the cache before each test is the only way you can say one page is loading any quicker than it did before... so there are too many variables in your speed test of loading one web page compared to another web page. Even straight speed tests can vary like I said if the demand on that tower's load. You are not the only one using that tower... plus there is the question of how close you are to any given tower, which is why you are seeing 3G or 4G/LTE with lower bars.
    02-15-2012 08:15 AM
    Are you rooted with custom rom/radio? I'm using the mr3 radio on my thunderbolt... Was really glitchy. Random disconnects, refusing to connect data, etc. Had to do ##778# fix. Now it works great.

Sent from my Infected Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    02-15-2012 08:29 AM
    I am rooted, but not on a custom ROM.

I understand speeds can differ on locations, but for the first two Weeks of owning this phone, my internet speeds and quality has been fairly stable within each session. It's just that more recently after the ota update it's not been stable with varying quality of 4g speeds within minutes within each session.

It's not as bad today as the 4g connection appears to be a little bit more consistent, but it's still a far cry from day one of owning this phone.
    02-15-2012 01:47 PM
    I am rooted, but not on a custom ROM.

I understand speeds can differ on locations, but for the first two Weeks of owning this phone, my internet speeds and quality has been fairly stable within each session. It's just that more recently after the ota update it's not been stable with varying quality of 4g speeds within minutes within each session.

It's not as bad today as the 4g connection appears to be a little bit more consistent, but it's still a far cry from day one of owning this phone.
    If you do a lot of surfing you might want to go into the settings and clear the cache occasionally.
    02-15-2012 02:53 PM
    No my speeds vary every couple of minutes. I can go from 4G to 3G to 1X in a couple of seconds depending on my location.

To answer your question even when I'm on 4G consistently, no two speed test will be the same. Web pages I load, come up very quickly with speeds above 6mb(down) so I rarely notice any lag. Only time I notice lag is if the network switches mid load, which does happens often.

02-15-2012 11:49 PM
    No my speeds vary every couple of minutes. I can go from 4G to 3G to 1X in a couple of seconds depending on my location.

To answer your question even when I'm on 4G consistently, no two speed test will be the same. Web pages I load, come up very quickly with speeds above 6mb(down) so I rarely notice any lag. Only time I notice lag is if the network switches mid load, which does happens often.

I am in the same boat , I have called VZ a couple times and keep getting a service ticket number and told someone will call me with in 48 hours of course that call never comes I call and get told they can't find any problems with the network etc.
    02-16-2012 08:01 AM
    Are you rooted with custom rom/radio? I'm using the mr3 radio on my thunderbolt... Was really glitchy. Random disconnects, refusing to connect data, etc. Had to do ##778# fix. Now it works great.

Sent from my Infected Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    What's the ##778# fix? Can't find anything on it.
    02-16-2012 09:06 AM
    I usually get 9 to 14 mbps for download. Strangely enough my fastest results were at my school where the connection keeps fluctuating between 4G and 3G.
    02-16-2012 06:19 PM
    I'm on an HTC Thunderbolt (no root) and average 22 mbps down and 14 mbps up. Signal is steady.

Maybe it's a Motorola thing - either hardware or software.
    02-17-2012 02:05 AM
    I'm on an HTC Thunderbolt (no root) and average 22 mbps down and 14 mbps up. Signal is steady.

Maybe it's a Motorola thing - either hardware or software.

Well its not a Motorola thing , I have gone through 6 Thunderbolts as of right now I am on a Razr Maxx and I lock in much better with the Maxx
    02-17-2012 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD