Wifi Battery usage

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
so i'm always connected to wifi, and have its sleep settings set to never. the only time i am not connected is my half hour drive to and from home to work and i turn it off during these times.

for some reason though, wifi is always at the top of my list for battery usage. currently it is at 23% with 8 hours of usage. my display is only at 17%.

is this normal? what are you guys getting for wifi usage stats?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is normal... mine is close to the same, except I've been playing some Flick Golf for the last hour or so... so my display is up a little right now.

Reactions: asylvia

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
ok good. i'm new to android and still trying to figure this stuff out.

it just seemed like an awful lot compared to the other items in the list.

pyroscott

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Most phones don't use that much juice by using wifi. I have the galaxy nexus and wifi is never even on the list of battery use, but LTE shows up if I am not on wifi.

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
From Motorola Tech support/Program and Development:

"Wifi should in fact use less battery than any 3G/4G connection, no matter the signal strength..."

Now, I am not 100% sold but, I think I might try to run a test of some sorts...

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Most phones don't use that much juice by using wifi. I have the galaxy nexus and wifi is never even on the list of battery use, but LTE shows up if I am not on wifi.

First, you are using a different device... second, you are using a totally different MAJOR ROM version.

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the 3g/4g.....where do you turn those on or off. I haven't seen anything in setup at addresses this??

Settings - Wireless Networks - (scroll down) Mobile Network -Network Mode CDMA = 3G CDMA/LTE = 4G

Free app on market called 4G Toggle, lets you switch back in forth a lot easier...

Good luck!

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Communicating with a transceiver that's less than 100 feet away is pretty much always going to use less juice than communicating with one that's a mile or two away. If you don't spend a lot of time at home or work actually using your phone for voice calls, one of the best things you can do for battery life is to leave wifi enabled.

And if you do use your phone for voice calls, having wifi enabled means you get to download pr0n while you're on the phone. It's a win-win situation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol