Naked or Encased?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Might go get my MAXX this weekend (or, at least, put the order in at the store). So, in preparation, going to start up 'one of these threads' for the MAXX.

Is your phone naked, or do you have a screen protector and/or case? And if you do have a screen protector or case, which one(s)?

I am usually a case-FTW type of guy, but I'd think a case would defeat the purpose of the MAXX (even though I'm well aware the screen would probably not survive a waist-high fall, based on drop tests on YourTube). The other thing I've noticed is that MAXX cases are rare (seems like the OG Razr got all the case love), so seeing what others are using would be helpful.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a screen protector (Gorilla Glass is good, but it's not perfect) regardless.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I only use a case when the phone is in my pocket. I use a Sena Ultra Slim case that forms to the phone. However, that's a pouch and I only use it to protect my screen and such. Otherwise, it's naked and I wouldn't have it any other way.

koalabear

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
There is absolutely no need for a screen protector on this phone - if you put one on it you will find yourself cleaning it constantly as the protectors hold the smoodge much more than the glass. One swipe on your shirt or pants and the Gorilla Glass looks like you just took it out of the box. I have had several GG phones, never used a screen protector and never had a single scratch.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I go back and forth about the screen protector. I agree that scratching risk is pretty low and it looks sleeker with the glossy finish screen, but i like the added resistance or friction the Zagg invisosheilds offer. It has a slightly rubbery feel which i like better than the glass feel.
I always go with a case to protect corners if dropped. For those I like the the otterbox commuter series.

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the Otter box because while it may be stronger than other phones it can still be cracked or broken. I use to wear kevlar for work and while it may stop items from puncturing the material it doesn't stop the impact. The rubber and plastic case of the otter help absorb shock. I also like the non slip feel of the otter in my hand.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Silicone case, but no screen protection... I've used smartphones for years and everytime I'm done with one it looks brand new, so I finally stopped using the screen protectors.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get the high gloss silicone case from VZW but I'm not sure about a screen protector. Maybe the VZW screen protectors. I have one on my Thunderbolt and it was such a pain putting it on but it works good.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There is absolutely no need for a screen protector on this phone - if you put one on it you will find yourself cleaning it constantly as the protectors hold the smoodge much more than the glass. One swipe on your shirt or pants and the Gorilla Glass looks like you just took it out of the box. I have had several GG phones, never used a screen protector and never had a single scratch.

I agree with the cleaning, definitely. I had a SP on my DInc basically the entire time I had it, and I had to clean it at least daily, as the prints and smudges would get unbearable. Then, a month ago, in the course of putting my case back on after cleaning, one of the protector corners bent up. I decided to just take it off, and the glass screen requires far less cleaning (mainly because prints are just less noticeable). However, since doing so, I did get a small scratch on the screen within a week. It doesn't have GG though, so not applicable here.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say a SP is completely unnecessary on GG. There are numerous videos on YouTube of GG being scratched (sandpaper seems to do the trick every time...not good if you spend time at the beach). Its just an extra layer of protection, IMO, and as I said I will probably go with a screen protector regardless.

In regards to cases, I'm not sure. I've only dropped my DInc maybe 3 times, as I am usually very careful with my phones. But, I also know that it only takes one drop to bust the screen. I will probably buy one, but not sure if it will be an all-the-time deal.

But keep it coming here. Still want to know what many of you do.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the cleaning, definitely. I had a SP on my DInc basically the entire time I had it, and I had to clean it at least daily, as the prints and smudges would get unbearable. Then, a month ago, in the course of putting my case back on after cleaning, one of the protector corners bent up. I decided to just take it off, and the glass screen requires far less cleaning (mainly because prints are just less noticeable). However, since doing so, I did get a small scratch on the screen within a week. It doesn't have GG though, so not applicable here.

The DInc does in fact have Gorilla Glass.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
i have the verizon antiglare SP on there. unfortunately the guy at the store ordered me the wrong one. i want the clear. it looks almost pixelated sometimes.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a Razr (Droid 3) but I've never entertained the idea of a case on any of my phones. These things are big enough and I've yet to see any case that doesn't just look filthy with accumulated junk/lint/crumbs all around the perimeter in no time.

I don't go out of my way to baby my phone (and I have two kids under age 5) with the only thing being that the phone is the only thing that gets placed in my right pants pocket. So far all my phones have lasted far longer than I've wanted to keep them and these GG based screens are better than ever.

-Suntan

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The DInc does in fact have Gorilla Glass.

Just checked the Corning site, and it is listed there, much to my surprise. I kept tabs on the debate back when I got my DInc, and it was a matter of some HTC sources saying yes, and some saying no. Then, the debate died out. I guess Corning added it to their listing after the fact.

If that's the case though, my DInc is proof that GG isn't scratch-proof, just scratch resistant.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just checked the Corning site, and it is listed there, much to my surprise. I kept tabs on the debate back when I got my DInc, and it was a matter of some HTC sources saying yes, and some saying no. Then, the debate died out. I guess Corning added it to their listing after the fact.

If that's the case though, my DInc is proof that GG isn't scratch-proof, just scratch resistant.

Gorilla Glass never claimed to be scratch proof. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk.

voiceonly

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Might go get my MAXX ... is your phone naked, or....
I'm pretty sure I'll get a screen protector (Gorilla Glass is good, but it's not perfect) regardless.

What I dont like about protectors are they matte the image... You lose that high gloss screen, and I like that part.

Do they make glossy protectors?

audioguy61

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I got a tpu case off of Amazon for about $9, don't care for the added thickness but then accidentally dropped it 3 and a half feet to a hard tiled floor. No damage even though it landed on its corner, think I made the right call. The raised lip of the case does give the screen a little protection which is good as I do not care for screen protectors.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the Otter box because while it may be stronger than other phones it can still be cracked or broken. I use to wear kevlar for work and while it may stop items from puncturing the material it doesn't stop the impact. The rubber and plastic case of the otter help absorb shock. I also like the non slip feel of the otter in my hand.

I just got Otterbox commuter case today, Its very nice and makes the buttons very easy to push. Im also using a Stienheil screen protector.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks