Should I try another? 2 bad Batteries?

RottnOne

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So I got my first Maxx on Monday and I love the phone, but after fully charging it I called a friend and after 15 mins my battery dropped to 80% It didn't seem right to me so I called another friend and the phone went down to 60% a little bit of FB and a few text messages later I was at 50%

Called Verizon and they sent me out a new Maxx and this one believe it or not is worse. Went to sleep with it at full charge. Woke up this morning and it was at 80% I could not believe it. I read SO many reviews on this phone of people getting 2 days with heavy usage. Are people making this up or am I just getting bad batteries.

My phone is now at 40& and all I did today was call a friend (that took 10% away) Then another friend (another 10% gone) These phone calls were maybe 1/2 hour each. A few texts and a little bit of FB + 2 music vids on Youtube.

That just does not seem right to me. Maybe I'm expecting too much? The tech guy I talked to this morning was great. He said once the battery dies, fully charge it and she how it does and he will call me tomorrow afternoon.

He said he could send me another Maxx or I could get something else.

Should I give the Maxx one last try?? This is so frustrating!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You need to condition the battery. You can't expect to pull it out of the box and get 2 days off a charge immediately. Give it 3 or 4 charging cycles (letting the phone drop to about 10% battery, then charging it fully again) and then see what type of life you get out of it. As a trick, shut the phone off while its charging too. Will take less time for it to charge, and helps with the conditioning.

Also, your use does have something to do with battery life, but there are other factors. What's your screen resolution on? Are you on 4G, 3G or Wifi? What do you have as your sync intervals for FB, email, etc? When you make the phone calls, are you in a strong service area?

I have issue with people getting phones that out-tech them. You need to know how to work/manage a car before you can drive it. The same goes for a smartphone.

koalabear

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It took several days for my MAXX to completely get conditioned and start giving me the phenomenal battery life I have now. I would say don't be so quick to ask for a replacement until you have tried for a longer period of time. Just stay within the 14 days return period.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought "conditioning" was a myth with these new Li-po batts, more like a "calibration"? There was another thread on here like this and they posted a link on how to use your li-po batts, too lazy to search tho.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought "conditioning" was a myth with these new Li-po batts, more like a "calibration"? There was another thread on here like this and they posted a link on how to use your li-po batts, too lazy to search tho.

It's breaking in a battery, basically.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
install badass battery monitor. It will give you a break down of everything your running and what type of effect its having on your battery. Its got some other useful features as well.

thabears23

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea i was in the same boat seeing every one having great battery life this is day 14 and had 32 hours unplugged with moderate use

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm on about day 14 with this phone and I'm pushing 37hrs 34min with 16% batt left. 4hrs 15min screen on time.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

RottnOne

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I did not download any other apps except FB. I am on 4G full signal.

Not sure how to change the screen resolution, but the brightness is at about 25%

No Sync intervals, I do it manually.

Battery info says:

Voice Calls 30%
Display 25%
Phone Idle 9%
Cell Standby 8%
Android OS 7%
Motorola Services 3%
Mediaserver 3%
Verizon Location Agent 3%
com.motorola.home 2%

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What's your display on time? How many hours.

4G does draw more power then just 3G. Voice calls do suck some juice as well. Give it some more time to see how it plays out.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex

RottnOne

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Took it off the charger and it was immediately at 99%

Sent about 10 texts and I'm at 95% seems a bit better but not much.

I'll see how the day goes.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
O.P. ,,, Lots of good suggestions, but why not just charge it overnite? I think you said it dropped 20% during the nite. Those who say they get 2 days with heavy usage are not doing heavy usage imho. Why try to go more than a day? Whats the point? Much better to charge during the night and wake up to a full tank. I let mine go overnite once without plugging in and it was down about 20% by morning. I now have about 20 to 30% left by bedtime and that's a 16 hour day of pretty heavy usage. A full day, with a little left over, what's not to like about that?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a Rezound and was experiencing horrendous battery drain. After turning off 4G cuz I don't have it here yet, turning off wifi when leaving my house and turning things off that auto-sync that I don't need to auto-sync my battery life is fantastic!

I learned these phones continously search for things that aren't in range which sucks batteries dry real quick. My problems had nothing to do with conditioning my battery.

Sent from my Rezound via TapaTalk

RottnOne

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't charge it over night because I had just gotten the phone and fully charged it then activated it. I did not want to put it back on the charger. It seems to be much better today. A bunch of texts, a couple of peaks at FB, and a 7 min phone call and I'm still now at 91%

Been off the charger for about 3.5 hrs.

Last edited:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Mine is that way all the time, even after some bump charging (look for it). I believe it's really the battery meter. Doesn't really make a big difference.

Use it normally, should be fine. Mine has been up for over 9 hours, 5 phone calls of a few minutes, checking email, played games for about and hour and sitting now at 48%.

The best thing you can do is have your screen timeout and brightness down. For gawds sake, don't keep checking it, everytime you do the screen uses a little more juice. If you have to, check it when you need to use it for something, or not more than every couple of hours. Killing processes also uses battery sometimes more that the processes themselves do.

RottnOne

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Down to about 83% which I am very happy with.

I am no having another problem. When I got back to my home screen from texting, FB etc. My screen goes a bit crazy. Apps bouncing around.. anyone know what causes that?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Down to about 83% which I am very happy with.

I am no having another problem. When I got back to my home screen from texting, FB etc. My screen goes a bit crazy. Apps bouncing around.. anyone know what causes that?

You can get to 100% after a full charge, but if it shows 99, NBD. And be careful of what some people tell you here, as they may not have the MAXX (like rootbrain and debsdroid), so they may be comparing apples to oranges in talking about battery life and figures (devices that suck the battery dry after hours compared to days with the MAXX).

Try power off and power on. If its still happening, back out some apps you've added recently. One may not be playing nice with the phone (most likely, especially if its a new issue you haven't run into before).

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Most modern phones do a "trickle charge" after they've reached 100%. It's how they protect the battery from damage by overcharging. That's why sometimes, after you've charged over night, the phone will immediately drop to 99%. It probably hit 100% somepoint during the night and just sat there for a couple hours. If you took it off the charger right when it hit 100%, it'll probably say it's still at 100% for a little while longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49