Does this work? (Adding new line on Verizon)

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a POS Thunderbolt and don't want to wait until next year to get a RAZR. Could I add a line, order a Razr Maxx, switch it to my main line, and put a dumb phone on the new line? With no text plan, no data plan, and shared messages, it should only cost me $10 a month more, right?

RushNFour

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just did this, i got my Razr Maxx yesterday. One word of warning, you will need a second SIM card because they will have to activate the new phone on the new line first, which burns up the SIM it came with. I had to run to a VzW store to get a second SIM card.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I've got a bonus coming tomorrow and was going to pick up a Razr Maxx at the non-contract price but now I will just take this route. Thanks for the post!:D

royal8u

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
NO since you bought a smartphone u have to pay the data plan or phone won't work.
So your looking at 40 dollars a month. I tried this I got a 10 dollars line to use as my house phone with
a reg cell phone when my wife got her upgrade I tried to use her LG ally as the house phone but would not work Verizon said it didn't because it is a smart phone sorry man. u won't get out of not paying the data plan agreed in the contract

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 lines with vzw. Each one eligible every year. I had a Droid 2 to start. Opened 2nd line for the tbolt. Then the 3rd line for the gnex release day. I pay 30 for unlimited net and 20 a month for the two lines. Had no issues with a corp store and a authorized retailer doing this. They would just add the line, subsidize the new phone, then move that phone to my main line. Then move my old phone onto the dumb phone line. Don't know how hey do it but it has always worked for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
NO since you bought a smartphone u have to pay the data plan or phone won't work.
So your looking at 40 dollars a month. I tried this I got a 10 dollars line to use as my house phone with
a reg cell phone when my wife got her upgrade I tried to use her LG ally as the house phone but would not work Verizon said it didn't because it is a smart phone sorry man. u won't get out of not paying the data plan agreed in the contract

If I attach a dumb phone to that new line I can't have a data plan, so it will drop to $10 a month. That's my thinking anyways.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have any problems either. Matter of fact, Verizon actually suggested going that route in the first place.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If I attach a dumb phone to that new line I can't have a data plan, so it will drop to $10 a month. That's my thinking anyways.

Not sure what your trying to do. But if you plan on using a smartphone on a dumbphone line, it should work for text and calls but not data. On my old bolt I get phone service and says connected in settings, but no data connection. Just an x. But if your trying to get an upgrade, the new line should only cost 10 bucks. No data plan needed.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what your trying to do. But if you plan on using a smartphone on a dumbphone line, it should work for text and calls but not data. On my old bolt I get phone service and says connected in settings, but no data connection. Just an x. But if your trying to get an upgrade, the new line should only cost 10 bucks. No data plan needed.

You can't activate the smartphone without a data plan.
It's just add a line with the Maxx, switch the Maxx to the primary line, and put a dumbphone on the line you just added, thus taking away the data plan.

It's simple.

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can't activate the smartphone without a data plan.
It's just add a line with the Maxx, switch the Maxx to the primary line, and put a dumbphone on the line you just added, thus taking away the data plan.

It's simple.

This...seems pretty straight forward, not sure how they'd stop me from doing that. Wouldn't add a text plan, shared minutes would convert it to a family plan, attach dumb phone and drop data, voila.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people do this and the Verizon sales people even offer it. Oh. I guess someone else said that too. Sorry, but I'm just confirming it.

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon did this for me a year ago. They even put a dummy phone on the extra line so I didn't have to buy a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RushNFour

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've done this twice now and it works with no problems other than the sim card issue I stated in my earlier post. You absolutely can do it.

Edit: Grammar

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63