Toggling LTE with Smart Actions

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks... I'm back on my Tbolt after dropping my iPhone 4s in the toilet. Man, let me tell ya, I was horrified!

I'm due for an upgrade on April 3, and I'm trying to decide between the RAZR MAXX and the Rezound. I've installed Tasker on my Tbolt and am amazed at all of the functions I've been able to automate, so I'm leaning toward the MAXX because I like the idea of similar functionality being built into the device via Smart Actions.

Now to my main point: is it possible to use Smart Actions to toggle back and forth between 3g and LTE? I like to use 3g unless I'm streaming, so I'd like to write an action that automatically kicks into LTE when I start apps like Netflix, Pandora and TuneIn. Is this possible?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
OK... thanks for answering regardless. I haven't figured out whether it's possible with Tasker, either.

Right now it's not possible. There is no direct toggle for 3G/4G on the Maxx. I use the 4G Toggle Widget that brings up the network settings directly instead of having to go through the main Settings Menu. I still have to manually switch between 4G and 3G but it's not a big deal. One Smart Action that I do use shuts down Data and Background Sync when the screen turns off and the phone locks. When the phone activates it turns on Sync and 4G or 3G, whichever was set last. I use it primarily because my office buliding is a weak reception point and the radios are always searching for a good signal. It does save some battery life.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how too get smart actions on other moto products? I love the feature on my maxx and would like to put it on my wife's droid 3. My buddy has a bionic and when I showed him, he wanted it too. When I first heard of it at ces,I didn't think I would use it but now that I have it I think its great

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, you'd have to get the cooperation of someone with a RAZR/Maxx - using a loophole in the Market you can install the Smart Actions application on your phone, but there are apparently some services or other apps that enable things like the Location functionality, and it won't work without it.
I've tried to get answers about what services are running, to no avail. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to swing by the local Verizon store and see if I can find out.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

cjohnson481

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know how too get smart actions on other moto products? I love the feature on my maxx and would like to put it on my wife's droid 3. My buddy has a bionic and when I showed him, he wanted it too. When I first heard of it at ces,I didn't think I would use it but now that I have it I think its great

i know it isnt "Smart Actions" but if you have the patience and $6 to spend, download Tasker, way more powerful.

Reactions: djrakowski

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
i know it isnt "Smart Actions" but if you have the patience and $6 to spend, download Tasker, way more powerful.

I agree... Ive been using Tasker for nearly a week on both my Thunderbolt and Galaxy Tab, and it's well worth the money. I just wish I could use it to toggle between 3G and LTE upon starting data-heavy apps like Netflix and Pandora.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel a need to keep my mobile data on all the time (a carryover from my previous Droid Incredible, whose battery would run down pretty quickly), so I use the free Power Controls toggle bar available in the Google Play store (still trying to get used to that, instead of Android Market). Pressing the 3G toggle will turn mobile data on and off. If you have your phone set to 4G, it'll still toggle it off (but it won't toggle between 3G and 4G).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae