Battery Saving Tips

jaybro0813

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Razr Maxx and looking for battery saving tips? I know can use Smart actions. What are some tips and tricks for battery?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Know how often every app sync's... example: Facebook, have it set to sync every 4 hours instead of every hour. Limit widgets... more widgets on the screen mean more battery for everytime you turn on your screen. One of my biggest recommendations is to have Wifi connected whenever possible... wifi draws a lot less power than LTE or even 3G.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Know how often every app sync's... example: Facebook, have it set to sync every 4 hours instead of every hour. Limit widgets... more widgets on the screen mean more battery for everytime you turn on your screen. One of my biggest recommendations is to have Wifi connected whenever possible... wifi draws a lot less power than LTE or even 3G.

Excellent tips. Key to cutting down on battery draw as fatboy stated is social media and email apps. They normally install with short polling times or sync times... Most people don't needed their email or face book checked every few minutes.

Widgets are fun but big battery hogs.

Last suggestion don't bother with any 3rd party task killers or battery apps. They cause more trouble than they are worth in they long run.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Nice additions... screen timeout and brightness are good recommendations... I usually leave my time out to 30 seconds, and the brightness is always very low (around 25% of the scale)... auto brightness is another bad selection.

And app killers have always been very, very bad... Froyo and Gingerbread have always been good at managing Memory and applications that need to be running... and I'm sure ICS will be even better.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I use auto brightness and my battery usage is great so far. I'm amazed at the battery life on this thing. 12 hrs 30 mins and still 51% charge left.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I use auto brightness and my battery usage is great so far. I'm amazed at the battery life on this thing. 12 hrs 30 mins and still 51% charge left.

That's really really good, mine was first day yesterday but didn't get that at all. Outside of the auto-brightness, can you get specific please?
-email autochecked?
-Do you have a Facebook status checked? As well as that FB picture widget it automatically puts on a screen that updates the FB pix? Same thing for the FB pix on the photo album? (Later in the day I removed both of those)
-Smart Actions?
-Any other widgets?
-Much talk/text time?
-Any weather programs in the bakground? I had Weatherbug, but turned it off.
-Did you stay on wifi if at home or out and about? Or leave it on 3-4G?

I was setting mine up yesterday and playing with it a lot, that could have cause the battery drain.

Thanks!

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Smart Actions could be set up to disable cellular data when the screen is off. That really saves on battery life as well.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
That's really really good, mine was first day yesterday but didn't get that at all. Outside of the auto-brightness, can you get specific please?
-email autochecked?
-Do you have a Facebook status checked? As well as that FB picture widget it automatically puts on a screen that updates the FB pix? Same thing for the FB pix on the photo album? (Later in the day I removed both of those)
-Smart Actions?
-Any other widgets?
-Much talk/text time?
-Any weather programs in the bakground? I had Weatherbug, but turned it off.
-Did you stay on wifi if at home or out and about? Or leave it on 3-4G?

I was setting mine up yesterday and playing with it a lot, that could have cause the battery drain.

Thanks!

I do have email set to check (whatever the default is). I use a program that was free app of the day on the Amazon store. I seem to get them almost instantaneously.

I do have facebook but I turned notifications off and I don't use any of their widgets. Basically if I want to see it, I open the app.

As far as other widgets go, I have Jorte Calendar, Circle Battery Widget (great little battery widget...1% increments), Beautiful Widgets Super Clock, Weather Bug (Notification bar temp) and a couple of Elixir 2 Widgets monitoring several items on my phone and letting me switch several things (like wifi on/off, ringer, lock on/off, etc.).

I've pretty much kept the phone the way it came...just put LauncherPro Plus on it.

Right now I'm at 6 hours and have 65% left...but I've been using wifi hotspot for the past 2 hours or so.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey, question for you guys...

i was under the impression that the Maxx's battery was amazing-- CNET tested it and got like, 20 hours of talk time out of it. That's simply amazing to me.

so, when I find a thread that talks about Battery Saving techniques on the Maxx, it seems like an oxymoron, almost.

how long does the battery last if you don't use these battery saving tricks? keeping 4g on, etc.

will you get through the whole day on the battery?

i am going to upgrade my phone sometime this year, and i gotta tell you, the Maxx is very tempting only for the battery.

I don't plan on using it for 2 days in a row w/o charging, though that would be nice.

I'd love to use use use and max out my phone (pardon the pun) everyday, and not worry about a charger. most of the day i'd be at work anyways, so i wouldn't be able to play w/ my phone whenever i wanted. however, i'd like to think that if i didn't touch my phone basically from 8am-4, 5pm, the phone wouldn't have drained to like, 40%. is that the case w/ the maxx?

what's a typical battery drain on 4g, not wifi connected, during the majority of the day?

i thought that the cell radio was the biggest drain, so that talking on the phone for 20 hours would be the most aggressive way to kill the battery... am i wrong? 4g is a bigger drain?
how long would you be able to continually use GPS on the maxx?
on my 2150 battery, my incredible would be able to .... probably do 6 hours max.

anyways,
thanks for any input.

~funkpod

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I know when I have a light day (probably heavier use than what you describe as being at work...lol), I get about 12-16 hours and still have 50% left.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I just checked and am sitting at 66% after 20 hours unplugged. I did use skydroid for 18 holes yesterday, checked a few emails and a bit of browsing.

Pretty much everything is still at the defaults and don't use facebook or other networking item. I did take every app I wasn't interested in and either unistalled or moved to hidden. Everything of accasional use was moved to the Apps screed so I only have about 10 items on the home screen.

I have two weather apps running....weather bug and weather underground and leave wifi on all the time.

All in all, I think the Maxx does a decent job of energy management without interferance.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I do absolutely nothing to conserve battery.

I leave everything on all day, screen at it's brightest until it is dark outside (it's too bright then), lots of widgets, email set to push immediately, and am a very heavy user. Constant 4G, no wifi, let the on board task manager do it's thing in the background, leave stuff running, on it constantly.

The main reason I bought this phone was to not have to worry about the battery. I know it's a sourse of pride or a challenge to many to get these crazy off-charger times. If that's your thing, knock yourself out.

For me, I just don't want to think about it.

I unplug it in the morning and plug it back in when I go to bed at night. I don't think it has ever dropped below 30%.

If battery is any kind of issue for you, this is the phone to get. If it's because you want to tweek that sucker to the point that you can go a week without charging, or don't want to have to think about it and have it just keep going when you need it to, you'll be happy either way.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input! So, are you guys on wifi or 4g most of the time?

Battery life is very important to me... I wonder how long GPS works on this phone. Screen ever an issue with you guys? And do you care about ice cream sandwich?

Thanks!

TundraDome

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input! So, are you guys on wifi or 4g most of the time?

Battery life is very important to me... I wonder how long GPS works on this phone. Screen ever an issue with you guys? And do you care about ice cream sandwich?

Thanks!

I'm on 4g all the time - nonstop. Primarily because I always have 4g, it is as fast or faster than my wifi, I have unlimited data, and battery drain has been a nonissue under normal use. Depends on your usage: For example, if you stream Netflix all day, that might present a battery issue.

I also leave data, background data, Bluetooth, and all gps functions enabled all day. Bluetooth enables me to transfer functions to my blackberry çar speakerphone and to my home phone. After 15 to 19 hours of use during the day, the razr maxx is at 30 to 20 percent battery. I have not employed any smart actions, yet, to conserve power.

I love the screen - no issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 4g all the time - nonstop. Primarily because I always have 4g, it is as fast or faster than my wifi, I have unlimited data, and battery drain has been a nonissue under normal use. Depends on your usage: For example, if you stream Netflix all day, that might present a battery issue.

I also leave data, background data, Bluetooth, and all gps functions enabled all day. Bluetooth enables me to transfer functions to my blackberry ?ar speakerphone and to my home phone. After 15 to 19 hours of use during the day, the razr maxx is at 30 to 20 percent battery. I have not employed any smart actions, yet, to conserve power.

I love the screen - no issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That sounds awesome.

That's what I would need, basically. i'm not interested in using the phone w/o charging it, just using it as much as I want during the day.

I guess the issue is whether or not i am interested in having an ICS phone or not.
Or if there is this Droid Fighter in the works, haha.

BB9650

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just came from a 9650 and most say this things lasts as long or longer than it did. I am a moderate to heavy user. I leave wifi on, gps on, pole facebook once an hour. I was gone from the house last weekend for 22 hours and had 30% when I got home. I was watching YouTube videos and also had used navigation. This phone is awesome. I love it. So glad I switched to the MAXX.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca