Maxx after one week

rkortes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I probably did way more research and definitely suffered from the paralysis of analysis before I finally pulled the trigger on the Maxx. After a week's use I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision. Thank god Verizon didn't let me upgrade a week early in November or I would have been the not as proud owner of a regular Razr. I then decided to wait from the Galaxy Nexus, but reviews were a bit sketchy and the poor battery life was a deal breaker.

My former phone was the HTC Incredible which has been a fantastic device. I became very comfortable with the HTC sense interface which was helpful when my wife purchased her Thunderbolt last April. I read extensively about the One X, but learned that it probably won't be coming to Verizon and if it does the battery issue still looms.

I decided to get the $199 deal on leap day (February 29th).

Now that I've had my Maxx for a week I am STOKED with every aspect of this phone. All this yapping about the screen quality is soooo silly to me. Ok, we know that various televisions look good next to another one in the store, but when you get them home they all look great by themselves. The battery life reins king! Last weekend my wife and I went skiing and I brought Maxx along. I was able to take a bunch of fantastic pictures and movies, edit them and upload them to Facebook during lunch. I know the phone was searching for service much of the day, but the battery was unaffected. My wife's Thunderbolt went completely dead!

Throughout the week I've been using the heck out of this thing with the camera, Foxfi Hotspot, News videos, on and on.... When I go to bed the battery has about 25% left and when I wake up it's completely charged and ready to go.

I still give the nod to HTC sense for user interface, but that's the only discernible difference. :D

noonan211

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree any more with you if I tried! I had the Incredible as well and suffered from analysis paralysis on my upgrade... Grabbed the leap day deal as well and this device rocks! Battery life to spare, 4g speed and don't forget about the call quality... It's amazing! I love how you can take an HD video then take high quality stills from it. I can finally capture my constantly moving kids with my phone! So far I'm completely pleased with my purchase... This is a great upgrade from my incredible, and I loved that phone!

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree with both of you. I was on the fence about upgrading from my Tbolt because I was still pretty happy with it. I had got my wife the Razr for christmas along with the lapdock and was suffering from a little phone envy. I also had used my upgrade, but somehow Verizon had never charged me for it so I decided to make the leap before they figured out the mistake lol. All in all I'm loving my Maxx, but there are a few minor things I miss from my Tbolt/sense. The thing I love the most though is not having to pull out the charger at lunchtime on a mod-heavy use day :d

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I am also loving my phone. Was debating the Nexus but the battery life issues were a killer for me as well. I am a heavy power user (I can even take the Razr Maxx down in about 10 hours when I'm having a slow day at work) but the battery life qualifies as amazing to me. As a comparison, when using my Droid X at work, I'd have to charge it in less than 4 hours (lol). Will have to check out those "high quality stills" from videos...didn't know it could do that.

Reactions: StormRyder

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am with you all the way. I also had the Incredible, which was a fine phone, especially after finally getting upgraded to Gingerbread. But the Maxx just blows it away. I was expecting the superior speed and battery life, but what very pleasantly surprised me was the excellent call quality. I had become resigned to the assumption that all cell phones sound pretty much the same, but this phone is crystal clear.

So far, the only minor complaints I have are:
1. The Moto calendar and contacts widgets aren't as good as HTC's. With my Incredible, the calendar widget could display an entire month, while Moto's only displays in agenda form. The Incredible's contact widget also allowed me to touch a contact once to call immediately, whereas the Moto widget is a 2 step process.
2. Even more bloatware than on my Incredible. What the heck is VideoSurf, and who really needs it? And I always wonder who pays for VZNavigator when you can use Google Navigation for free.

But so far, I have absolutely no buyer's remorse.

rkortes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Great points about he Calendar and bloatware. I also like HTC's stock tracking widget. I knew I'd be making some tradeoffs that so far have been worth it!

acroyle

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. I couldn't be happier with my Maxx. My only "complaint" is the wifi antenna seems rather weak, other than that completely satisfied.

JustinTiburon#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a nexus and get great battery life. Never had a problem with it, don't know what people are complaining about. Plus I've had nothing but Motorola phones they all have the same design and look stupid love the way the nexus looks. I've got 15 hours in on my phone since took it off charger. 27% I use my phone for work when I'm not on it at work I'm listening to my music so... IMO that's incredible battery life. Better than my x2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a nexus and get great battery life. Never had a problem with it, don't know what people are complaining about. Plus I've had nothing but Motorola phones they all have the same design and look stupid love the way the nexus looks. I've got 15 hours in on my phone since took it off charger. 27% I use my phone for work when I'm not on it at work I'm listening to my music so... IMO that's incredible battery life. Better than my x2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well thanks for coming to the Maxx forum to tell people that you're getting less than half the battery life most of us are with our Maxx..that's so kick-ass (I get about 40-45 hours, so you're actually getting 1/3 of my up time, so awesome for you)! And regarding the appearance comment, you're right. Our phones look stupid and your GN TOTALLY doesn't look like an a-typical black slab smartphone with it's common rounded edges and the black-on-black textured back. You definitely got us there!

Reactions: paul-c

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Some Nexus owners like to troll the RAZR section. It's been happening since November. Funny that it's spilling into the RAZR MAXX section now. Unreal.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some Nexus owners like to troll the RAZR section. It's been happening since November. Funny that it's spilling into the RAZR MAXX section now. Unreal.

Oh, I'm well aware. At least he has the decency to say he's a GN owner in his title box. Most of them don't so they can pretend to be unbiased bashers of all non-GN phones.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Aster people really getting 40-45 hours on one charge? Doing anything special?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

On my last charge, I got (ready for it) 55 hours before I charged at around 17-20% left. Here are some of my battery saving techniques:

- Screen only on 100% when I am away from the house. In the house, I keep in between 40-60% usually.
- Smart Action set up to turn off cell data and wifi between 2am and 5:30am with no motion detected.
- I'm on wifi for a good chunk of each day (I'd say, on average 85% of the day).
- Its easy due to the above, but I try to keep downloads and updates to be done over wifi.
- I don't make a ton of voice calls. I average about 15 minutes per charge (though for the 55 hour run, I only had 7 minutes of voice calls).

That's it, and I regularly get 40 hours with each charge. I don't hinder my use at all either...I use the phone as I want/need. That's the best part about the Maxx...not having to worry about watching a few YouTube videos because it'll waste 30% of the battery.

thabears23

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's nice on moderate use since 730 am till now I'm at 51 percent. So sometimes I feel like something is draining it fast but I just over think cause I'm using it so much

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, I was worried that as I was not getting massive battery life on mine it was a problem of some kind, but after reading some very detailed descriptions of other peoples use, I realize I am a very heavy user, and as a testament to the Maxx, I still make it through a day, only one day, but I make it, which no other android phone I've had could do, as such, I am very happy with the Maxx

thabears23

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, I was worried that as I was not getting massive battery life on mine it was a problem of some kind, but after reading some very detailed descriptions of other peoples use, I realize I am a very heavy user, and as a testament to the Maxx, I still make it through a day, only one day, but I make it, which no other android phone I've had could do, as such, I am very happy with the Maxx
Exactly I'm a very heavy user unplug at 7 am and plug in at 1130 pm 20-30%

medicff0879

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I received my Maxx on the 9th as part of the Leap Day special as well. So far I must say that I too love this phone. I went through SEVERAL DX2 replacements and ended up requesting a D3 as an optional replacement. I liked my DX2 (except for all the buggy issues) but as has been stated, the battery life sucked (literally) LOL!! The D3, pretty much the same with a few other video issues to note and no ability to video chat on skype.

This phone however is awesome!! I love being on shift for 12+ hrs and not having to worry about charging my phone. Generally I was looking for a charger in 4hrs or less, and being on the ambulance that was not always easy to find at the right time.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I am with you all the way. I also had the Incredible, which was a fine phone, especially after finally getting upgraded to Gingerbread. But the Maxx just blows it away. I was expecting the superior speed and battery life, but what very pleasantly surprised me was the excellent call quality. I had become resigned to the assumption that all cell phones sound pretty much the same, but this phone is crystal clear.

So far, the only minor complaints I have are:
1. The Moto calendar and contacts widgets aren't as good as HTC's. With my Incredible, the calendar widget could display an entire month, while Moto's only displays in agenda form. The Incredible's contact widget also allowed me to touch a contact once to call immediately, whereas the Moto widget is a 2 step process.
2. Even more bloatware than on my Incredible. What the heck is VideoSurf, and who really needs it? And I always wonder who pays for VZNavigator when you can use Google Navigation for free.

But so far, I have absolutely no buyer's remorse.

Jorte is a great calendar with a widget (with some great customization options). It's the perfect calendar for me...might be worth a try.

elvis692

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a dinc, thunderbolt and rezound. Had an extended battery with all 3 and the Maxx still easily out lasts them all! The extended batteries helped for sure but didnt live up to the extended usage time you would expect for their size. Using adw launcher allows you to copy a lot of the htc features you would miss moving to a moto phone as well.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I had gotten the Razr on 11/11 and loved it. Only issue was I carried a backup battery where ever I went. Then came the Maxx, I was sad on one side but in love on the other. Then I said the heck with it. Went to VZW store and traded in my Razr for the Maxx now I am in love completely.

Don't carry the backup any more...... and well it is just wonderful. Like any electronic device, it has issues so i work around them Then I have none.