Not sure I want ICS

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
There are ways around getting a forced update from what I've been seeing around the web. If your rooted there are strings in registry files that can be altered. I didn't know anything about it until I started looking into it. But it's BS to say you'll get cancelled off the network for doing it.
I'm sure I'll ultimately not be able to resist the ICS. Mostly just interested in the methods involved to do it. Maybe it's a control issue ;)

Last edited:

jiggaman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, I just installed the ICS leak on my wifes maxx. Trust me, you want this. It is fast and beautiful. I normally don't like Moto but they did a great job with this.

jiggaman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, I just installed the ICS leak on my wifes maxx. Trust me, you want this. It is fast and beautiful. I normally don't like Moto but they did a great job with this.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Well that's good to hear. I'm always open to new things really, but I'm just concerned about STABILITY more than anything.
If a person just uses their phones for text/talk...it's probably fine. In that case, I'd get some cheap phone.
But for the user who uses it for the 'smart' parts it advertises..then it should be stable for ALL phones before they push it out.
Nothing worse than having an UNSTABLE release shoved onto your working phone.

NOW>>>THAT SAID>
I'm much more cautious about adding apps on Maxx than I was DX.
A body could be muddying up the works by adding so many useless apps that can cause more conflict than the upgrade itself.
And, it appears Moto has upped it's game and not as many addon apps needed perhaps?

Bad thing was the upgrade worked fine on DX for awhile..then, for whatever reason, it starting messing up a few weeks later. This happened on both upgrades. So, what appears good and working might not be until the Android system and your using it, really pushes it.

Duno...guess we'll find out soon enough. LOL.
Thanks for that good feeback dood.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am interested to see how moto tweaks ICS for their phones with blur. I think it will make it even better than it already is. Plus moto seems to be lightening up their blur software so it doesn't bog down the phones like previous versions. They seem to be on the right track for their skin.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not 100% sold on ICS yet. I came from a GN and I returned it for a MAXX and I love this device the way it is now. I want to see what Motorola does to the OS before upgrading. If they can make it run smoothly and with the most recent version (4.0.4/5) then upgrading should be great. However, I see nothing wrong with wanting to stay GB, just personal preference I guess.

With regards to the whole "Verizon can boot you off the network" comment.... they can't. Period. Back in the day where BlackBerry was the only worthy smartphones on Verizon, OS 5 came out. OS5 literally SUCKED when it first came out and Verizon actually was telling customer how to downgrade to OS 4 again. Verizon can't force you to upgrade to a new OS if you don't want to. Besides, if they force you off the network they will need some pretty good contract lawyers to fight that one in court.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I am not 100% sold on ICS yet. I came from a GN and I returned it for a MAXX and I love this device the way it is now. I want to see what Motorola does to the OS before upgrading. If they can make it run smoothly and with the most recent version (4.0.4/5) then upgrading should be great. However, I see nothing wrong with wanting to stay GB, just personal preference I guess.

With regards to the whole "Verizon can boot you off the network" comment.... they can't. Period. Back in the day where BlackBerry was the only worthy smartphones on Verizon, OS 5 came out. OS5 literally SUCKED when it first came out and Verizon actually was telling customer how to downgrade to OS 4 again. Verizon can't force you to upgrade to a new OS if you don't want to. Besides, if they force you off the network they will need some pretty good contract lawyers to fight that one in court.

Yes, they can, actually. Read your contract.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terrigno

ohaaron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Not upgrading looks bad for the whole ecosystem. I can understand waiting a few days to find out if the reviews are positive, but it looks bad on the entire Android platform, when ICS numbers aren't increasing. Also, you're missing out on the latest Google App enhancements & a much faster browsing experience. Everything about ICS is much snappier. I have a GNex, but I've seen leaks for the new version of Blur. It's much less clunky. Do us all a favor and hop on board the ICS train, if reviews are positive for your device. I'm tired of seeing the iOS fanboys ridicule the slow update process.

Reactions: paul-c

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am one of those who got the gn on launch day and a week later returned it for the Rezound. I wasnt impressed with ICS at all. It was laggy it lacked the ability to synch Facebook contacts and those two were enough to turn me against it. Of course the phone itself had major issues. I'm happy with my stock Rezound as it is and will be one who will deny the ICS experience.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The secret to a successful, major revision, upgrade is to do a factory wipe first to remove all apps THEN perform the update (again, only major revs like version 2.0 - 3.0 not minor updates like 2.0 - 2.5). That way any apps that don't play nice with the newest OS doesn't jack everything up.

balthuszar

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
If you don't upgrade, Verizon can force you off the network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

either take off the tin foil hat, or explain how if you're rooted and running a custom rom, you'll NEVER upgrade, but you don't get kicked off the network..

also: the vzw rep we deal with kept denying the GB update for her droid x until they got it fixed...and they never booted her off the network(and don't say that was because she was a vzw rep, that's a cop out and definitely untrue)

Reactions: jroc

bheid33

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Based on the leak that lots of people installed onto their RAZR's this weekend (including myself), you should STRONGLY CONSIDER this update. I had the Galaxy Nexus, and this is better. I was extremely impressed with the new "blur" integration, as it was very minor and just tweaked in the right areas. And someone mentioned stability....boy does this deliver on that front. Many of the custom ROMs out for the RAZR aren't stable in many regards (data, wifi, signal, etc.) but this is a whole different ball game. I was very (and I must add happily) surprised to find this in the ICS update that was created by none other than Moto themselves. Trust me, you want this update. Ice cream is delicious on this phone...

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid 1 that I put back on my 3 line family plan from time to time. I had to sbf back to 2.0.1 a few months ago....and there was, are no issues. Its still on 2.0.1...and still on the network.

If they can....they might not be enforcing it. I assume Verizon wants to continue to take your money every month....unless you are actually hurting their network.

gennarog

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I understand being hesitant... I have the droid razr and have been using the leaked ICS update from motorola for the past 2 days now and I do have to say i don't see hardly any bugs.... I did see a little slowdown with 10 apps open, but i kinda expected that... I'm actually quite impressed. battery life actually increased which is surprising.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I will wait and see how the update shakes out before installing on my Maxx. If it's as good as people keep saying I may even keep it stock (no custom launcher). :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21