Not sure I want ICS

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That goes for if you root your device too and run outside programs or builds. Is VZW shutting off all rooted phones then?

I'd love to see them try.

Also, I highly doubt they'd shut you off for not accepting the update.

I will get into more of why later. But regarding updates, the language quoted is some of the most poorly drafted language I've ever seen. It's too ambiguous in my professional opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That goes for if you root your device too and run outside programs or builds. Is VZW shutting off all rooted phones then?

I know they were considering it. BMX talked about an internal conversation going on within Verizon about that exact thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know they were considering it. BMX talked about an internal conversation going on within Verizon about that exact thing.
I find it hard to believe they'd do it. The outrage would be amazing. That said, I believe there is a specific time dependent clause of the law about to expire concerning the legality of rooting and jailbreaking. Need to look into that a bit more.

BuMMeR-X

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok......if Verizon was going to do this, then why are there so many people that are rooted and ROMed and they are not having their service cut off???????? They are not even running VWs software.......don't you think they would see that also.....

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I find it hard to believe they'd do it. The outrage would be amazing. That said, I believe there is a specific time dependent clause of the law about to expire concerning the legality of rooting and jailbreaking. Need to look into that a bit more.

That wouldn't apply. All that says is that you're legally able to do it. It says nothing about requiring Verizon to allow your phone on the network.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
WOW...I started a thread that has 4,681 hits and 64 posts!
Although my thread was totally hijacked and most of the replies are completely unrelated to my op, hahahah...it's still impressive numbers!!

:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although my thread was totally hijacked and most of the replies are completely unrelated to my op, hahahah...it's still impressive numbers!!

Take this thread to Cuba!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That wouldn't apply. All that says is that you're legally able to do it. It says nothing about requiring Verizon to allow your phone on the network.

The administrative cost of identifying and booting flashers would be more than Verizon could handle, particularly if the flashers are all on the same version of Android.

Further, they would have to figure out a way to separate number and sim identification from device, or at least attempt a way to get to the latter without fundamentally changing the material terms of the contract.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The administrative cost of identifying and booting flashers would be more than Verizon could handle, particularly if the flashers are all on the same version of Android.

Further, they would have to figure out a way to separate number and sim identification from device, or at least attempt a way to get to the latter without fundamentally changing the material terms of the contract.

Erm. They already have the means and they can already tell which users are running different software than what they approved. Its not as difficult as you make it out to be. They could do it any time they wanted, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet for obvious reasons.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Why u not sure about ics ?

Because Maxx works perfectly now! My Droid X worked perfectly until they upgraded it.
The risk doesn't out weigh the benefits.
And, what brought about the hijack in the first place was my saying I wished we could have an option to opt-out of the upgrade.
Thanks for asking. ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Erm. They already have the means and they can already tell which users are running different software than what they approved. Its not as difficult as you make it out to be. They could do it any time they wanted, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet for obvious reasons.

How? Without it being obvious--like a different version of Android--tracking and being able to categorically say that the software is not approved (as a basis of claiming breach of contract) would be a nightmare. Further, if you're a user that flashes daily/several times a week, tracking would be an absolute drain on all resources, much more than I think Big Red would want to expend just to boot one or three people.

In fact, having had to return these things 3 times now, not even their store clerk/service rep had any idea I was on different software, and when asking about signal issues, none of that information came to light--even as I discussed the "upcoming update" and what a "baseband" was. I have a feeling that if they had a legitimate means to track you--without having to manually press a button to "fish" the info--that they'd come down a lot more frequently than they have (which is really never, unless you know of people getting caught?).

But having this experience, and looking at the general nature of it, I don't know--i'm just not convinced that they can tell with complete certainty. Maybe when the OTA comes out and half the people reject it...lol. Hell, I'd further argue that if they had this information, and actually cared about what they perceive their contract rights to be, you'd see maybe 1/4 of the returns b/c they'd look you up, see you on a different rom with different apps, and say have fun with the $650 fee. In fact, now that I think about it, that's where you'd see this really be exercised (warranty claims), and so far that process has gone without a hitch.

The problem that I see from a legal perspective is that your phone is really incidental to the service contract, and when the rights start to overlap with very broad and unclear language an issue develops. For example--that piece you quoted. If you read that broadly (which is really the only way to do it), then pretty much anything would cause that term to be violated--including, what appears, to be the adding/deletion of apps. Heck, disabling or uninstalling Google Maps--a pre-approved, core app--would also do it.

But alas, it's too early and I'll visit in here later. Interesting discussion though.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm "testing" a Maxx right now, in temporary place of my Galaxy Nexus that is running ICS. I have to admit, the first thing I did on the Maxx was load up GoLauncher and give it the look of ICS. ICS grew on me rather quickly. I would welcome the change, but I agree it would be kinda nice if it were optional. ICS is a different feel all together in my opinion, but in a good way.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

It is interesting when you click on the last page of a post to catch up on the opinions and find that the discussion isn't about anything related to the original post. You created a Frankendroid, hahahahaha.

Congrats:cool:

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It is interesting when you click on the last page of a post to catch up on the opinions and find that the discussion isn't about anything related to the original post. You created a Frankendroid, hahahahaha.

Congrats:cool:

I was just gonna let it roll on. Might help somebody with something. LOL...
Frankendroid...add that to Wikipedia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma