Anyone using Motocast or DLNA features yet?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having a great time with this phone. Once you really dig down into it's feature set and start using these features as they were intended you really are moving to the next level. With Motocast you set up shared folders on your home computer and this phone will access them. Especially handy with an external drive attached, and auto upload pics to your computer as you take them. With DLNA sharing linked to the iomega screen play media player plugged into my tv, I stream media wireless to it. Very cool stuff:)

BIGsinner

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used the DLNA yet, but I've used the Motocast. It's pretty cool. I've impressed my co-workers by showing them I can stream movies from my home computer that happens to be about 20 miles away. The only thing though is that my PC has to be....ON...and not in hibernate.

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I use it too. It works well and plays all of my songs from itunes (~ 2,000 songs). Even shows the lyrics in time with the music! I wish it transferred playlists.

I use the widget ( 1 x 4 showing album artwork) to turn it off and on. I also use the google music to play local songs when I am off network as another widget.

But that't just the music. I can see all the images in My Photos as well.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It's very interesting what all we can do with these. Thank's for the responses. I just haven't seen any comments about others using those features and wondered if I was the only one taking this thing that far. This phone is blowing away my previous Samsung. Samsung owners complain about the penile display and although I'd rather had the other screen tech, I still like this one a lot and would not trade the battery life for anything.

cmoore2004

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the DLNA to stream to my DirecTV receivers and play my music through my home theater system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
When I had the maxx, I used motocast to access files from my work computer, so that they were available to me when I was out of the office. The only downside is that you have to leave your computer on at all times.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Due to the computer needing to be on to access, I haven't found a ton of usefulness in the app. You're basically wasting power and energy for what? To be able to listen to a song you have on your computer, when you can easily download it on your phone?

For work related purposes, I can see this being extremely helpful and beneficial, but for regular use, it doesn't seem to be a good solution for much, if anything. I have a laptop, and only plug it in when the battery is low, and I usually like to turn it off as well (so the battery won't get too hot during charging). Plus, I have it set so it sleeps when not used for 20 minutes or when folded down. So, just to keep my laptop on and plugged in just to access computer items on my phone? No thanks.

And don't read me wrong, it is a cool app in what it can do and achieve, but I don't think its something that has benefits of use outside of some specific situations.

cmoore2004

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The DLNA requires no computer. My DirecTV receiver streams the music I store on my phone. Almost as nice as the Pandora feature DirecTV added.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, I need to tap into your collective brains. I have moved to a Razr Maxx HD and no longer have MotoCast with kinda of sucks but DLNA is my problem know. I don't understand how to turn it on and get it to connect to my DLNA certified Iomega Screen Play like I could before with my Maxx. It's different now on ICS I think. I read the Moto Manual about DLNA and it states to go to Apps/Gallery/Open a picture and tap on the play symbol at the top. The phone is supposed to 'search' for a DLNA device and give me the option to connect. Not happening. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Update. It started working just by going into gallery but my iomega device is still not playing nice yet so I'll keep at it.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon