Razr Maxx now, or wait it out?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Bought a refurb Maxx off Craigslist this weekend to see how I liked it. I had always had Motorola phones before getting my Galaxy Nexus. The build quality of the Maxx is much better than the Nexus and I'm still on my 1st charge from Saturday afternoon at 40%. I do miss ICS for some things, and the screen isn't as brilliant but the battery and form factor really do it for me.

I bought mine for $300 from someone that just got it back as a refurb from Insurance. I would check that route 1st.

So at this time I'm planning on selling the Nexus and making the Maxx my daily driver.

The Maxx just dropped to $199 at VZW, and with the 14 day return policy, that would be a good route. Amazon probably has it even cheaper though.

The price drop may signal the release of the Fighter/Maxx HD though.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There will always be the "next great phone" coming out "in a few weeks". Seems like every three months or so there is a wave of new awesome phones and the forums are flooded with angry posts about how people feel cheated because something better came along.

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got the MAXX on Monday. The battery life is as advertised and then some. It kicks the crap out of my iPad.The phone is also freaking fast! I have no complaints about performance. It also doesn't hurt that Verizon's 4g data is pulling down the 18 to 22mbps in my area (long island, New York). I am sure the fighter will have a better screen, but the current screen is no slouch. It is bright and beautiful, but not quite as sharp as the HTC One X, GNex or iPhone 4s and the colors are also a bit oversaturated. The blacks, however, are inky black! My one gripe with the phone is the underwhelming camera. The exposure is off and the white balance and temperature are off in almost every photo. This seems to be a common issue with motorola phones. I hope they improve the on the next version.

If you really want to hedge against missing out on the latest and greatest, you may want to but from Costco. They give a 90 day no questions asked return policy on cell phones. The only negative is they aren't discounting the phone and haven't reduced the price to match Verizon's latest cut. For me, I didn't mind paying an extra $80 for the assurance of knowing that I can upgrade any time in the next three months, which is an eternity for smartphones. If you go for the MAXX now, however,I think you'll be very pleased with you're decision. Good luck!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

loveMD

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I also popped for the maxx after the price drop. I am very pleased with this phone! A great phone now trumps a slightly greater phone in 3-6 months in my book.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
MAXX is my first Moto phone and I have to say, the camera on it sucks! But everything else, it is a pretty superb smartphone :) I agree with a couple of posts above....you'll always feel like you're missing out on a bigger-n-better phone once you commit to one phone, lol....

I wanted the MAXX, I bought the MAXX, I have no buyer's remorse....do what you want :)

Good luck!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll defend the Maxx camera a bit and say that although its features are lacking, I've found the quality of the photos to be decent, and shutter speed is much faster than my old HTC Incredible. Plus, the HD videos are crisp and smooth, unlike the Incredible.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
MAXX is my first Moto phone and I have to say, the camera on it sucks! But everything else, it is a pretty superb smartphone :) I agree with a couple of posts above....you'll always feel like you're missing out on a bigger-n-better phone once you commit to one phone, lol....

I wanted the MAXX, I bought the MAXX, I have no buyer's remorse....do what you want :)

Good luck!!

If you think the RAZR camera is bad, try a gnex. It may have zero shutter but quality is extremely poor. IMO the RAZR camera is just fine for being on a phone. I use it for a quick point and shoot. I have a Sony alpha a55 dslr for real pictures.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
....shutter speed is much faster than my old HTC Incredible. Plus, the HD videos are crisp and smooth, unlike the Incredible.

Yes, the shutter speed IS MUCH faster than the HTC Incredible (this was my previous phone) and Yes, the HD videos are undeniably crisp & smooth....and Yes, the photos are just "decent" :)

If you think the RAZR camera is bad, try a gnex. It may have zero shutter but quality is extremely poor. IMO the RAZR camera is just fine for being on a phone. I use it for a quick point and shoot. I have a Sony alpha a55 dslr for real pictures.

Yikes, you're not the first person to say GNex's camera is bad...I've been told that many times :( and ya, the camera works just fine for a point-n-shoot....

Anyone who complains about the camera on the Maxx obviously never tried taking pictures on a Bionic before they sent the update...

ok, that makes me feel a lot better about the MAXX camera then....LOL...no more complaints here:D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My point being that I wouldn't say the camera sucks, per se. I still think we're a few years away from a smartphone camera that truly rivals or surpasses a high quality point and shoot camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22