Contacts auto joining driving me insane

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking of rooting my Razr Maxx. I can't deal with it constantly merging contacts that have no relation to each other. I have four email accounts, Facebook and Twitter. I've stopped contact syncing for all but Facebook and my corporate account, but every day some of the contacts get merged. It wouldn't be bad if it merged the obvious ones; you know; the ones with the same name. But, that's not the case. Its merging Katie on Facebook with Shawn from work. They have nothing common that would tell me why they were merged. That's just an example. I have dozens of similar merging.

From what I understand, it's MotoBlur and not Android that does the auto merging. I have not found a way to permanently turn that off. I know how to separate them after they are merged and how to join contact manually. But I want to control what gets merged and what doesn't. Surely someone else is seeing this too?

I was thinking that maybe if I install a NON-MotoBlur generic OS on it, that my problems would be solved. Anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It does that to some of my contacts as well. Drives me nuts. Wish there was a way to disable it, because it's not accurate by any means.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I did do a lot of searching and from what I have read, Adroid OS does not do that on it's own. Motorola, in their infinite wisdom, determine to combine contacts in some rather random way. I still can't figure out what the common denominator is that would link some of these people. Different names, no connection to each other, different email and phones. I'm stumped. Maybe just a vanilla ICS would be better?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I sure hope they ditch this in the ICS update, or at least give us the option to disable it.
I was trying to call one of my contacts today, and was wondering why it was no longer showing up in my address book.
I knew I didn't delete it.
I finally realized that Moto Blur combined it with another contact.
The sad part is that it will not show up unless you Edit the contact it was combined with.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
For the life of me, I can't understand why this isn't the #1 complaint from Motorola users. It's almost to the point where I feel I have to change to something else just so I don't get burned. My boss (John H) got merged with an acquaintance (Jim L). I got a call but didn't know who I was even talking to and had to ask. Embarrassing, and it made me look unprofessional. There are so many good things about the Maxx that it's sad to see such a glaring problem go unfixed.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Just remove your Facebook account entirely. If you need to use it on your phone, then just log into the mobile version of the site.
Crisis averted.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just remove your Facebook account entirely. If you need to use it on your phone, then just log into the mobile version of the site.
Crisis averted.

As for merging contacts, I dont't think this is a Facebook issue.
Reason I say that is because I don't even have the Facebook account nor app on my phone.
I use the browser to access Facebook because the app is so slow and is horrible in my opinion.
I'm thinking it's the Motorola address book itself.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

winchwrench

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! Me tooo! OK, seriously? It will seemingly arbitrarily "join" your contacts? Hello?! I'm the one that will decide that! I have over 3000 contacts. I call that my brain. I don't know HOW MANY CONTACTS ARE JOINED. I'm gonna say in the 200 range, b/c i believe i remember having around 3200 bfore the switch from iphone to Razr Maxx. Google has managed my email & contacts for some time. I have noticed however, that many of those that are merged seem to be merged by some type of connection in what apple calls the 'company' field and what Motorola calls the 'organization' field. Although, i've also seen the same peeps merged that were related & nothing was in the 'organization' field. This too is driving me crazy. Something else... does it continually do the merging? OR, once unjoined, each respective contact stays that way? I found one contact that had 3 contacts together. So, for one merge, I was actually missing 2 additional contacts.

SOMEBODY HAS TO KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS!

Please help.

elvis692

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ditto here! With no facebook on phone either. If the contacts names in your address book it will randomly merge them. TERRIBLE!!

wbtech

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ditto here! Only difference is that all the joined contacts found so far do have a common number involved. However, on the phone, one or the other contacts does not show up in a alphabetical search for the person's name. Motorola may think this is a feature, but not me!

Other point is that it does not happen right away, have not found a common thread as to when two or more contacts may join???

Thanks, just had to vent!

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I wish my contacts WOULD join instead of me having to manually do it. On my Rezound it was automatic pretty much. I haven't had my phone merge any of my contacts automatically.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to disable the merge feature. It's not accurate as it should, and I'm constantly calling the wrong people.
I'm about to ditch this phone for that reason.
Why have a phone with a great battery, but can't use it as a phone because I'm calling the wrong people.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got finished talking with Motoroloa Level 2 Rep. They do not have a fix for the merging of unwanted contacts. This is a deal breaker for me because it keeps merging all of my work contacts together.
I purchased this phone out of contract. Guess I'll go take a look at the SGSIII and eat my loss.

DBCoogee

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have over 3000 contacts and keep them in a master file on my PC. From time-to-time I copy them to my phone. Worked great with Blackberry and my iPhone.
When I import them to my Samsung S3 (using KIES), they arbitrarily join up. Different first names, different companies but they become a single entry in the Contacts list.. When I want to phone someone I cannot find the correct number. I can see all the numbers but have no idea which belongs to which person.
Then if I receive a phone call the wrong name appears. Very embarrassing.
I cannot go through 3000 contacts separating them manually. It would take forever.
Has anyone found a way to prevent contacts joining automatically? Or separating all the contacts with a single command.
Or can someone at least explain the logic by which this happens. Is it an Android or a Samsung problem?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have over 3000 contacts and keep them in a master file on my PC. From time-to-time I copy them to my phone. Worked great with Blackberry and my iPhone.
When I import them to my Samsung S3 (using KIES), they arbitrarily join up. Different first names, different companies but they become a single entry in the Contacts list.. When I want to phone someone I cannot find the correct number. I can see all the numbers but have no idea which belongs to which person.
Then if I receive a phone call the wrong name appears. Very embarrassing.
I cannot go through 3000 contacts separating them manually. It would take forever.
Has anyone found a way to prevent contacts joining automatically? Or separating all the contacts with a single command.
Or can someone at least explain the logic by which this happens. Is it an Android or a Samsung problem?

I searched online and it seems to be an issue with Android. I upgraded from the Razr Maxx to the Note 2 and it does it as well. It's a slightly easier to find the joined contacts on the Note 2, but it still does it. When I had HTC Android phones in the past, it used to ask me in the notification area if I wanted to join a contact that was found as a potential match. I could accept or reject the merge.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

stevegan2001

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This is happening on my Samsung Rush, and seems caused by the "pocket dialing" bug.
I turn the phone off but it is not fully off and contact with my keys, wallet, pocket lint etc. activate it.
I now have a pocket dialing block installed, but sometimes hear noise from my pocket, take it out and see a message asking if I want to join more contacts.
The contacts that were joined often start with the letter "A".
I don't want to join any contacts, ever.

Saint DanBert

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem and I don't have MOTO anything. Instead, I have Galaxy Note II (-i317) phone and
Note 8 (-N5110) tablet. Both automatically join contacts that are part of my PHONE address book.

Grrrrr Arrggghhh
~~~ 8d;-/ Dan

Saint DanBert

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
... I could accept or reject the merge.

Please be careful using the word, "merge."

When I hear "merge" I think that all of the details from Contact-A are combined with
all of the details from Contact-B and exactly one contact remains. If both -A and -B
have the same two phone numbers, then the surviving contact will have both numbers
repeated for a total of two pairs or four numbers.

"Join" is fine in theory. I have a contact for "Something Company" I also have contacts
for "Bill Smith" and "Mary Jones" who work for that company. A JOIN of the people with
the company lets me see all of the folks that work there when I view the company contact.
Likewise, if I view one of the people, I can see the company details along with the associated
co-workers.
  • Please let me manage these?!?!?!
  • Please don't auto-magically presume to know how I associate contact details
My associations might be based on youth sports teams rather than employer. Software cannot
know this without my input.

Grrrrr Arrrggghhh,
~~~ 8d;-] Dan

Thomas Remely

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Definitely an Android / Google Sync issue. I have the same problem on my ZTE Reef phone, running Android 4.2. It's synced with Google contacts, but it only merges the contacts on my phone. The contacts in Gmail on the computer are still separate. On my phone, it merged my wife, my daughter, and my son into my name. Now their names are gone, and to text or call one of them I have to choose my name, and then select their mobile number from the list of 4 mobile numbers it now thinks are mine. Found this in another forum, and apparently it's been a problem since 2009, and Google has yet to fix it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma