bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe I am spoiled. This battery has me scoffing at everyone who is tied down by their USB cables. 75% is my new 50%. I almost feel bad for everyone else, and can't understand how someone can go from those, back to "the norm".

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I've got five batteries for my Bionic totaling well over 10,000 mah. .

A large battery is no substitute for a replaceable battery, at least IMO. I feel bad for anyone that can't swap batteries and charge them outside the phone.

Not wanting to totally piss in your Cheerios, the Maxx gets great life with that 3300 mah battery.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the ability to swap out the battery is not needed by the vast majority of Maxx users because the battery life is so awesome. Who needs an extra battery when the one we have lasts for a couple of days? I can imagine that for some folks, it would still be helpful, like someone whose work requires constant phone use and an erratic travel schedule. But not for most of us.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I do agree. When I had a blackberry or galaxy nexus I was looking for a charger. Its time for other cellphone manufacturers to take a hard look at the RAZR MAXX :) This baby rocks antenna and battery

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Chris.Inc2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand the convenience of going a couple days without needing a charge. But that advantage becomes a disadvantage when it comes time to charge as you're stuck tethered to a cord for the duration it takes to charge that one battery. In comparison, with mutliple batteries you can just swap out for a fresh one on the fly. Not to mention when a battery goes bad (and it will), it's so easy to replace a cave man could do it! :) I'm spoiled by my multiple batteries. :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand the convenience of going a couple days without needing a charge. But that advantage becomes a disadvantage when it comes time to charge as you're stuck tethered to a cord for the duration it takes to charge that one battery. In comparison, with mutliple batteries you can just swap out for a fresh one on the fly. Not to mention when a battery goes bad (and it will), it's so easy to replace a cave man could do it! :) I'm spoiled by my multiple batteries. :p

I get what you're saying, and awesome for you that you do well with your Tbolt. My point was that with a long-lasting battery, you have much more chance of lasting until the end of the day (or the next day), at which time you can plug it in and charge while you sleep.

It's true that being able to swap out a spent battery with a full one on the fly can be an advantage, but for me, carrying an extra battery with me at all times wouldn't be that convenient.

Of all the smartphones and smart devices I've had (Samsung SCH-i760, Samsung Omnia, HTC Droid Incredible, Sony Xperia Play, Acer A100, Acer A500, Razr Maxx), I've never had a battery go bad. Sure, it'll eventually reach the end of its lifespan, but since each of the Maxx battery's charges lasts at least twice as long as the average smartphone battery charge, that generally means the battery's lifespan will be at least twice as long (since it's the number of charge cycles that makes up the lifespan). By the time my battery has reached the end of its useful life in another 5-6 years, I'm sure there will be dramatically more powerful and energy efficient phones out there.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I never understood the mentality of wanting to carry and swap batteries. What a pain! Phones have gotten big enough. I once swore I would never go above a 4 inch screen...and then I got my Bionic and now my MAXX. The Maxx is the best phone I've ever had...and it's because of that amazing, wonderful battery.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as OP. I feel like a battery elitist.
I was never one for extended or multiple batteries, and now that I have the Maxx, it feels painful to look at extended battery users carry around something on a holster that looks like a Lego creation or a smooth brick.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as OP. I feel like a battery elitist.
I was never one for extended or multiple batteries, and now that I have the Maxx, it feels painful to look at extended battery users carry around something on a holster that looks like a Lego creation or a smooth brick.

Dont bring Lego's into this lol, they're fun and shouldn't be grouped in with something that isn't fun. Like having a giant phone and carrying a few batteries around all day :p. Not to mention charging all those batteries too. Anyways, I agree with you completely.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

A large battery is no substitute for a replaceable battery, at least IMO. I feel bad for anyone that can't swap batteries and charge them outside the phone.

Not wanting to totally piss in your Cheerios, the Maxx gets great life with that 3300 mah battery.

If you want to spend 125.00 on FIVE batteries, be my guest. That's awesome for you and I hope you have a nice little bag to carry all those around in. But me, i'll just spend the 199.99 on a Maxx with an enormous stock battery. If I planned to go on an expedition across the desert or the arctic, 5 batteries might be nice as long as I had a good sled dog team to pack them. But since I live in civilization and can easily charge my battery while I sleep every other day, I will go ahead and shed the extra baggage for a kick-a phone like the Maxx.

I had a Bionic with extended batteries, and the Bionic was awesome, but the Maxx is far superior imo. Also, keep in mind the Maxx is much thinner with the battery that's much larger than any of your 5.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind you are talking to Razr Maxx owners about being "tethered to a cord". Does anyone else see the irony in that???? A Thunderbolt owner talking to Maxx owners about the disadvantage of charging? That honestly made me laugh. I do see your point. I really do.

BUT, I really don't mind having my phone tethered to a cord while i'm sleeping. I don't need it right then anyway, and then during the day when I'm awake, i'm not having to shut off my phone, and take it halfway apart, fumble around to find the other battery, swap it out, put it back together, and wait for it to boot up. Now I know I make it sound more difficult than it is, but compared to us Maxx owners who don't worry about it ever, it seems silly to have to do it.

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site

If you are using 5 batteries in one day you could possibly be one of the reasons unlimited data is being discontinued. If that is not the case then there is something wrong with your Bionic.

Reactions: LegalAmerican

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind you are talking to Razr Maxx owners about being "tethered to a cord". Does anyone else see the irony in that???? A Thunderbolt owner talking to Maxx owners about the disadvantage of charging? That honestly made me laugh. I do see your point. I really do.

BUT, I really don't mind having my phone tethered to a cord while i'm sleeping. I don't need it right then anyway, and then during the day when I'm awake, i'm not having to shut off my phone, and take it halfway apart, fumble around to find the other battery, swap it out, put it back together, and wait for it to boot up. Now I know I make it sound more difficult than it is, but compared to us Maxx owners who don't worry about it ever, it seems silly to have to do it.

LOL I figured someone would say that. :) Myself, I found it ironic to think about those with non-removable batteries being tethered to a cord to get a charge. Myself, I rarely if ever connect my phone to get a charge, just swap out for a fresh battery and go.

- No need to worry about remembering to plug it in to charge.
- No need to worry about topping it off when the battery is getting low.
- No need to worry about when a rogue process or bad signal drains the battery and being stuck with the only option but to plug in.
- No need to worry about getting the battery replaced when it no longer holds the same charge or when it goes bad.

For me, those are too many negatives for the few positives a larger non-removable battery may give you. I?d rather have the option to carry a spare battery. Not that I always do, but it?s an option I?m not willing to give up. And that?s what it comes down to, personal choice. For me, a non-removable battery just isn?t a consideration.

P.S. - Thunderbolt battery life is very good now after the Gingerbread update last summer and subsequent tweaks. I average approx. 35 hours on the standard 1400mAh battery (light to moderate use), may be half that with heavy use. So I rarely use the extended battery anymore. It?s cool though to have the option when needed. :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LOL I figured someone would say that. :) Myself, I found it ironic to think about those with non-removable batteries being tethered to a cord to get a charge. Myself, I rarely if ever connect my phone to get a charge, just swap out for a fresh battery and go.

- No need to worry about remembering to plug it in to charge.
- No need to worry about topping it off when the battery is getting low.
- No need to worry about when a rogue process or bad signal drains the battery and being stuck with the only option but to plug in.
- No need to worry about getting the battery replaced when it no longer holds the same charge or when it goes bad.

For me, those are too many negatives for the few positives a larger non-removable battery may give you. I?d rather have the option to carry a spare battery. Not that I always do, but it?s an option I?m not willing to give up. And that?s what it comes down to, personal choice. For me, a non-removable battery just isn?t a consideration.

P.S. - Thunderbolt battery life is very good now after the Gingerbread update last summer and subsequent tweaks. I average approx. 35 hours on the standard 1400mAh battery (light to moderate use), may be half that with heavy use. So I rarely use the extended battery anymore. It?s cool though to have the option when needed. :)

-You have to remember to plug in SOMETHING to charge you batteries, cause I doubt they charge themselves.

-The Maxx battery rarely gets low, so no need to worry about "topping off"

-The battery wont go bad before you upgrade.

Betteries supposedly last about 18 months or so before they start to deteriorate. And that is a battery that must be charged OFTEN. So if the Maxx is charged less often, i'm certain you could add on at LEAST 6 months to the life of the battery. And, how many phone owners keep the same phone for that long anyway? I imagine the percentage is quite low. Therefore, I am not concerned about the battery deteriorating and not holding a charge.

Again, your arguments are awesome for people with mAh rated batteries in the low 20's to high teens. But the Maxx battery is the first of it's kind (stock). So you can't just use the same cookie cutter non removeable battery arguments that you use on the iPhone or the regular Razr. If we were discussing those two phones, I would agree with you 110%.

All of that being said, I am very happy that you are seeing great performance from your Tbolt. That is great. We are seeing great performance from our Maxx's. The good news, is that we're all happy cause we have choices that fit our needs.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
P.S. - Thunderbolt battery life is very good now after the Gingerbread update last summer and subsequent tweaks. I average approx. 35 hours on the standard 1400mAh battery (light to moderate use), may be half that with heavy use. So I rarely use the extended battery anymore. It’s cool though to have the option when needed. :)

I don't mean to gang up on you here, but you're exaggerating the battery life of the most notoriously battery draining phone of last generation. Screen on with 4G for more than 3 hours would murder the TB, update or not. Now if you're undervolting, that's another story.
I'm not seeing the convenience in spare batteries. You pay $199 for either phone, but the spare battery route now requires you to purchase additional batteries at $20 a pop. If you don't want to be tethered to an outlet charging each one, now you're forking money over for an external charger. So after those expenses, now you're micromanaging two 1400mah batteries, which wouldn't even add up to the 3300mah in the Maxx. You have to try pretty damn hard to kill this phone's battery in one day. You could get an extended battery, yeah, but now if you decide to buy a case, you need another one to accomodate the battery.
I know, I know, different strokes for different folks. /rant

Reactions: paul-c

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow thats pretty amazing. Just last year(late spring/early summer) when I was rocking the junktastic Tbolt, I was lucky to get 5hrs out of the battery with moderate use

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to gang up on you here, but you're exaggerating the battery life of the most notoriously battery draining phone of last generation. Screen on with 4G for more than 3 hours would murder the TB, update or not. Now if you're undervolting, that's another story.
I'm not seeing the convenience in spare batteries. You pay $199 for either phone, but the spare battery route now requires you to purchase additional batteries at $20 a pop. If you don't want to be tethered to an outlet charging each one, now you're forking money over for an external charger. So after those expenses, now you're micromanaging two 1400mah batteries, which wouldn't even add up to the 3300mah in the Maxx. You have to try pretty damn hard to kill this phone's battery in one day. You could get an extended battery, yeah, but now if you decide to buy a case, you need another one to accomodate the battery.
I know, I know, different strokes for different folks. /rant

No worries and no exaggeration (nor under volting - can't as I'm not rooted). I seriously get that kind of battery life. Even with the extended 2750mAh battery, I'd still have 50% left after watching a 3 hour football game over LTE. Anyway, I made my points and stick by them. We'll have to agree to disagree. :) No amount of debate will convince me to accept a non-removable battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez