post ICS: CDMA only not available

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Major issue with the RAZR Maxx ICS update! You cannot disable 4G!
The only network options are the default of Global, LTE/CDMA , GSM/UTMS!
I'm sure there will be a hack but for now my wife's Maxx will be stuck on 4G unless at home on wifi!
I will not apply the update when it arrives on my work RAZR until cdma only is an option as the battery on the regular RAZR is toast in no time on my non Maxx / normal RAZR!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can see this being a huge issue for those who rely on 3G. I wonder how this was overlooked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're in a 3G only area you're good, as the LTE/CDMA option will revert to 3G but if in an LTE enabled area you are forced to use LTE.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you're in a 3G only area you're good, as the LTE/CDMA option will revert to 3G but if in an LTE enabled area you are forced to use LTE.

Download the application LTE ON/OFF (HTC Thunderbolt) from the Play Store. Once you open the application, change the network mode to CDMA Auto (PRL).

Problem solved. :)

Last edited:

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this won't be a cause of delay for the rest of us. Ie it takes them 2 weeks to fix. For ICS, I could live with that bug....

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

mlacla22

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I constantly lose my data signal on my GNex when it's on LTE/CDMA. Great 4G signal when I'm at work and for no apparent reason it just craps out. I keep it on CDMA and it's fine.

I know... I know... Different phone. But I am glad I have the option of both.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For the last few days I've constantly been losing my signal no matter the setting, even in known good signal areas. About to demand a new replacement from Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Kinda really concerned about this "no 3G only" option development. Where I live there is no 4G. So if I can't turn it off, it's going to be constantly looking for a 4G signal that simply isn't there. This isn't good.

And is anybody 100% sure the "HTC LTE On/Off" app works on Moto Razr ICS? And how is this app going to affect battery life?

For a 7 month long update process, this is a HUGE oversight. Wow.

Brandon

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You can pick evdo only with no voice, 1x only, lte only, gsm only and so forth. It is on all android phones and doesn't mess anything up. It is just a simple way to pick what type of network you want to use.

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So it is essentially doing what the "HTC LTE On/Off" app does, it's just built into the OS? So these settings will stay the same after reboots and things like that?

Thanks for the explanations. Much appreciated.

Brandon

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is doing the same thing just through the OS which I prefer over any third party app. I am not saying the app is bad in any way I just like doing it through my phone if possible. It might revert after a reboot but other than that it stays the same and offer much more control and network selection that the app. You can pick every network option available through this menu down to individual choices like lte only shuts off everything but lte so you can use data but have no 3g and no voice service and things like that.

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No I agree completely. Setting those things through the phone OS is for sure the way to go IMO as well. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the info, much obliged.

Brandon

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Crummy move by Verizon/Motorola to remove this. Guess they really want to clear people off of 3G. Nice to see there's still a work around. :thumbup:

ryanidcomm

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Crummy move by Verizon/Motorola to remove this. Guess they really want to clear people off of 3G. Nice to see there's still a work around. :thumbup:

This bothers me I live in a spotty 4G area and keeping it off improves battery life no doubt..

I dont think they are trying to take away 3g its my understanding that phone calls and texts still uses 3G 4G is data only.. a RM of verizon told me this but even the RM dont seem to know much

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Kinda really concerned about this "no 3G only" option development. Where I live there is no 4G. So if I can't turn it off, it's going to be constantly looking for a 4G signal that simply isn't there. This isn't good.

And is anybody 100% sure the "HTC LTE On/Off" app works on Moto Razr ICS? And how is this app going to affect battery life?

Brandon

If you live in a 3g area your 4g radio won't be on anyways. o_O

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Brandon

Yes, I tested it before I posted it. :)

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you live in a 3g area your 4g radio won't be on anyways. o_O

Seems to me that if the phone was set to "LTE/CDMA" if would at least have to "looking" for a 4G Signal to know when it has found one. Correct?

Much in the same way you can have WiFi on, and if you're not around WiFi its no big deal, but it's still "looking" for it.

Brandon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison