Can you disable the screenshot sound?

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Took a screenshot at work yesterday and it sounded like I was taking pictures, its very loud. Can you disable that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been wondering the same thing. it still makes that annoying shutter sound on silent, and vibrate.... no bueno.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Only other option is to root your device and go into /system/media/audio/ui and start looking for the .ogg file for the sound.

Just rename the file to xxxxxx.ogg.bak

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been wondering the same thing. it still makes that annoying shutter sound on silent, and vibrate.... no bueno.

Is there a separate setting for Media Volume on your phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
As a spokesman for the common RAZR owners, we hope they fix this lil discovery BEFORE they push it out to us commoners.
:)

Sent from Marx Maxx using Tapatalk.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Only other option is to root your device and go into /system/media/audio/ui and start looking for the .ogg file for the sound.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

On my device the sound file is camera_click.ogg. It's the same sound that's played when you take a picture so renaming means no screenshot or camera shutter sound.

Last edited:

l00natic71

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think this applies to most Android phones. I had the same thing on a Nexus S and now on a HTC ONEX. Also, the shutter sound on camera. I find it annoying. I use a different camera app, so I'm good on camera, but not good on screen shot.

DriveEuro

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
On my device the sound file is camera_click.ogg. It's the same sound that's played when you take a picture so renaming means no screenshot or camera shutter sound.

Exactly. I've done this for the camera focus and click soundon my RAZR MAXX. No sound from my camera.
Use root explorer and just rename the file to .old or something similar. You get no error when you take a pic... just silence :D

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I think this applies to most Android phones. I had the same thing on a Nexus S and now on a HTC ONEX. Also, the shutter sound on camera. I find it annoying. I use a different camera app, so I'm good on camera, but not good on screen shot.

The camera app has an option to turn the sound off. The screenshot doesn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickSaul

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

I just did this. It worked just fine. It's the same file for the camera shutter and the screenshot sound.

/system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

I just appended .bak to it, and the camera shutter and screenshot sounds are gone.

hairyhamhock

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Open the camera. In the bottom left corner is a settings icon, open it up, scroll to the vey last item listed. This should say "Shutter Tone". You should be able to de-select this and voila! No more shutter tone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't work. It gets rid of the camera shutter sound but not screen shot sound.

Open the camera. In the bottom left corner is a settings icon, open it up, scroll to the vey last item listed. This should say "Shutter Tone". You should be able to de-select this and voila! No more shutter tone.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Phone funny here: Ok, so I'm in the mens room stall doin my bidness. And I wanted to take a screenshot of a FB post I was looking at, so I did it. And then, just as I hit that magic button combo I thought to myself;
"self...Your alone in a stall in the mens room and people outside here are gonna HEAR your shutter click LOUDLY. And, they're gonna wonder WHAT is that dood taking a picture of in his stallll??? "
By the time that computed, it was too late, it went off CAALICK.
Not sure, but I think I heard the dood in the next stall laugh.
Just a warning for you guys.
Clicks sound funny in a men's room stall.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I place my left index finger over the speaker and my right middle finger on the down volume and right index on the power button.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair