Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen

droidrazrguy

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this site and I have a Droid Razr. When it gets ICS I would love to use the +textPlus app instead of the native Verizon Texting App in the lock screen... and I was wondering, if this is possible, and can you provide specific instructions on how to do this? Oh, and do you have to be Rooted to do this? Sorry if I am repeating the same questions. I don’t have ICS yet, so I don’t know how to do this. I just want to be ready for when ICS arrives to my device. Thanks,
DROIDRAZRGUY

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have used Go SMS Pro for the last couple years... great app... but I uninstalled it prior to ICS just to see what Google did with the stock text messaging app... I'm very happy with the stock and will not load Go SMS Pro, at least for a while.

I use Go SMS so that I can set customized text tones for certain contacts, and set Twitter SMS text updates to silent. Will I be able to do this with the stock SMS app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(95804)

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried this using Chomp and it worked, except now I cannot receive messages at all. I can only send. Are you guys still receiving texts with gosms?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anyrehr

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I am trying to disable the standard text messaging app to get handcent oon my lock screen but the "disable" button is not available (screenshot attached). Any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-12-11-10-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-12-11-10-53.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 22

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am trying to disable the standard text messaging app to get handcent oon my lock screen but the "disable" button is not available (screenshot attached). Any advice?
You must force stop, then disable. Make sure you set your third party Texting app to auto retrieve text (SMS) as well as picture messages (MMS). If you disable the stock messaging app and the new one doesn't have this capability, then you won't get some of your messages. I'm not sure about GoSMS, but I know Handcent can auto retrieve. You must go in and set it up manually, however.

T

anyrehr

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm I tried force stop but now both options (Force Stop and Disable) are unselectable. Also when you say "set up to auto retrieve" does that mean just setting Handcent as my default app for all messaging because that I did but I am not sure what setting you are talking about. Thanks for your help, sorry if my questions are dumb...

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I tried force stop but now both options (Force Stop and Disable) are unselectable. Also when you say "set up to auto retrieve" does that mean just setting Handcent as my default app for all messaging because that I did but I am not sure what setting you are talking about. Thanks for your help, sorry if my questions are dumb...
You may have to uninstall any updates to the stock app before you can disable. For Handcent: you have to go to the settings menu in the app. I don't recall the exact location and I don't have it installed right now. There is an option to set Handcent as the default app for SMS, MMS, or both. You would want both. Once you have it set up, make sure to get someone to send a couple test texts as well as MMS to verify.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If you disable the native Sms app you won't get mms. Just go into basic settings on GoSms and make it the preferred sms app, it's just that simple.

Sent Probably by Accident....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome