iPhone 4 vs. Razr MAXX

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't think you are minority with that thought. I hated iTunes and the way it forced me to sync things. Someone gave me an iPod and I loathe it. It put every song from my computer on the thing even though I told it not to. I'm thinking of making my Maxx my new MP3 platform. I have a 1985 Vette and I use(d) the iPod with a Cassette adapter to play music. Wonder what would happen to the iPod if I chucked it out the window at 130mph or so? ;)

Its an apple product so of course it will shatter as soon as the wind hits it. In all seriousness, I love my maxx as an mp3 player. Motocast makes things so much easier. Can see every song on my PC and sync/download from it. It also sends from my phone back to PC pictures and music if I specify. For what its worth, Motocast is a nice perk if you do alot with media.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Its an apple product so of course it will shatter as soon as the wind hits it. In all seriousness, I love my maxx as an mp3 player. Motocast makes things so much easier. Can see every song on my PC and sync/download from it. It also sends from my phone back to PC pictures and music if I specify. For what its worth, Motocast is a nice perk if you do alot with media.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

I looked at Motocast but that was about it. I already had all the music I wanted on my SD card from my Rezound so it was in the Maxx as soon as I put it in. I've been using Amazon MP3 for my music because the EQ settings seem to work very well. I will probably start using the Maxx for the car's media player. It makes the most amount of sense AND the battery life is so stupid on this phone, I have no worries about it. 2 18 hour days of full use and one time had 28% battery left and the other time had 30% battery. Yeah, not gonna sweat my 30 min commute. (which is sadly only 6 miles and takes ALL the fun out of commuting in a Vette)

Reactions: bradenfontaine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Before my Maxx, I had a Droid Incredible for a couple of years, and before that, a couple of Windows Mobile stinkers, so I've never been an iPhony. I've become more of a diehard Google/Android fan, so it was a tad appalling for me to have to set up my wife's brand new iPhone 4s, which she upgraded to from her Blackberry Curve, since her brother gave her a nice Apple gift certificate.

iPhone's design and interface are, of course, very cool and elegant, and there are tons of apps. But I found that after I set the phone up ... that was it. No real ability to customize the look, not many settings modifications available. For a tinkerer like me, it became boring pretty quickly. Here are some unfavorable comparisons with the Maxx that I observed:

1. Battery life (of course): Must be charged at least once a day.
2. Screen size: Wow, that looks tiny!
3. Sound profiles: I like to have a loud ringer but a soft notification sound, which is easy on Android. On the iPhone, everything has to be the same volume.
4. iTunes: Hate iTunes, especially on PC. It literally takes 15-20 seconds to start.
5. Form factor: I'm so used to the Maxx's size now that the iPhone's narrow width and overall compactness makes me feel like I'm going to drop it at any second.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input! I now regret even more my decision to return it :(

I see where Best Buy is offering the MAXX for $180 today and tomorrow. That is very tempting although I would lose my unlimited data... decisions, decisions!!:confused:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input! I now regret even more my decision to return it :(

I see where Best Buy is offering the MAXX for $180 today and tomorrow. That is very tempting although I would lose my unlimited data... decisions, decisions!!:confused:

Actually, I don't think you DO lose unlimited data when you buy a phone if that is what you are planning. If you buy the phone rather than renew a plan to get a discounted phone you retain your current data plan. I went from my Blackberry 9930 (3G) to the Razr via a straight up purchase and not only did I retain my grandfathered in unlimited data plan, I got a huge speed boost into the bargain. I think I will simply continue to do that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I don't think you DO lose unlimited data when you buy a phone if that is what you are planning. If you buy the phone rather than renew a plan to get a discounted phone you retain your current data plan. I went from my Blackberry 9930 (3G) to the Razr via a straight up purchase and not only did I retain my grandfathered in unlimited data plan, I got a huge speed boost into the bargain. I think I will simply continue to do that.

But I think in order to buy the phone outright without renewing your plan, you have to pay the FULL price, which is usually upwards of $500-600, right? When Verizon advertises $199 for their flagship phone, it's always in the context of either a new or renewed 2 year plan, and that means having to go to the new tiered data plan. It started yesterday, so if you got your Razr before yesterday, you weren't affected.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
But I think in order to buy the phone outright without renewing your plan, you have to pay the FULL price, which is usually upwards of $500-600, right? When Verizon advertises $199 for their flagship phone, it's always in the context of either a new or renewed 2 year plan, and that means having to go to the new tiered data plan. It started yesterday, so if you got your Razr before yesterday, you weren't affected.

Yes the only way to keep unlimited data is buy a phone out right or from someone else. Any upgrade will cost you your unlimited data.

I know that as soon as I use my upgrade on the Maxx, the Maxx HD will come out. Of course, then something better will come along after that and the cycle will continue...

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Before my thunderbolt, I had an iPhone 4...for 12 hours. I jailbroke it in the first 2 hours and still couldn't do everything I could on my incredible, so I got a tbolt. Now I'm on a maxx and couldn't be happier...unless you count my loathing ics at this point. I miss GB ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Before my thunderbolt, I had an iPhone 4...for 12 hours. I jailbroke it in the first 2 hours and still couldn't do everything I could on my incredible, so I got a tbolt. Now I'm on a maxx and couldn't be happier...unless you count my loathing ics at this point. I miss GB ...

Is there really that many issues with ICS? Is that bad? That worries me...

InkedAdrenaline

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I went from a BlackBerry to the iPhone 4 as soon as it was available on Verizon. I thought the iPhone was the best thing ever invented---imagine being able to actually use the Internet on your phone! :eek:

Then I started getting disappointed with the iPhone. The notification system (or lack thereof) just wasn't doing it for me---I really missed the ability to set "profiles" for notifications---and I didn't like that I couldn't customize anything. However, the retina display and the camera were great. I did a jailbreak of my iPhone and that made it easier to customize, but with each updated iOS fewer jailbreak utilities were available.

I got my Razr MAXX a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it. It gives me the customization ability that I want, a great profile/notification system, fantastic battery life, and 4G coverage. I can't imagine going back to the iPhone at this point, the system is too "closed" for my liking, even with jailbreaking.

I haven't had one regret jumping to the Razr MAXX.

I currently have the 4s JB and I'm on the fence of crossing over to either the Maxx or the new SG3.... Can your stock maxx do everything your JB iPhone could do? I have mine with 30+ tweaks installed and just don't want to swap sides and regret it. I feel like my iPhone being JB can pretty much do what most android phones can do but I want 4g and a man size screen lol.

Any insight is appreciated.

Schufly

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
A completely stock Maxx.....no. Just as a JB 4s, many of the cosmetic tweaks cannot be performed without rooting the Maxx. IMHO, a stock Maxx beats a JB iPhone anyday.....just in screen size and battery life. I am rooted, but using stock, and perfectly happy with the freedom I have to make my Maxx do exactly as I want. And I never have to carry a charger.

InkedAdrenaline

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
A completely stock Maxx.....no. Just as a JB 4s, many of the cosmetic tweaks cannot be performed without rooting the Maxx. IMHO, a stock Maxx beats a JB iPhone anyday.....just in screen size and battery life. I am rooted, but using stock, and perfectly happy with the freedom I have to make my Maxx do exactly as I want. And I never have to carry a charger.

Can the maxx be rooted and run cm9?

mededitor

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the 4s JB and I'm on the fence of crossing over to either the Maxx or the new SG3.... Can your stock maxx do everything your JB iPhone could do? I have mine with 30+ tweaks installed and just don't want to swap sides and regret it. I feel like my iPhone being JB can pretty much do what most android phones can do but I want 4g and a man size screen lol.

Any insight is appreciated.

So far I haven't found anything that my JB iPhone could do that I can't do with my MAXX. In fact, my experience has been the opposite. Technically, my MAXX is stock, but I downloaded a number of customizations that let me set it up exactly how I want it set; I've needed far fewer tweaks than I needed on my iPhone, which makes for a much smoother experience.

You're correct in that a *JB* iPhone can do most (not all) of what a stock MAXX can do, at least in my experience. But---the MAXX has a larger screen, is 4G, has much better battery life, and has a customizable flashing LED (as a former BB user, I missed that on the iPhone). To me, those are major differences in favor of the MAXX. The upcoming new iPhone will be 4G (per VZW) and might have a slightly larger screen than the current iPhone, but I don't think it will match the dimensions of the MAXX. My older eyes really appreciate the larger screen. LOL

Truthfully, I was getting bored with my iPhone, even with the JB. I went to the Razr MAXX with a somewhat negative attitude toward the Android system; I figured that I'd be returning it within a week or so and switch back to my iPhone. The MAXX won me over within 48 hours and I haven't regretted the switch for a minute.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My entire in law side uses iPhone and they swear by it. Even though i can accomplish simple tasks in the time it takes them to just get started. And they ask each other the funniest questions about things that their phones cannot do, and my Maxx does bone stock. They carry the 4 and/or the 4s.

Perick

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. I'm at a point where I'm ready to jump ship from AT&T to VZW and also from the iPhone to Android, so I've been watching the SG3 signal issues thread closely and also the Maxx forums. My only hesitation to jumping to the Maxx now is wondering how long until the HD is announced.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. I'm at a point where I'm ready to jump ship from AT&T to VZW and also from the iPhone to Android, so I've been watching the SG3 signal issues thread closely and also the Maxx forums. My only hesitation to jumping to the Maxx now is wondering how long until the HD is announced.

My thoughts exactly on the HD! We might be waiting a while and then there's going to be something greater after that :(
Must keep reminding myself it's only a phone... aaahhhh!

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Probably around August/September time frame. I would personally just wait a while until it is out. The MAXX has been out a while and the HD screen would be worth waiting for unless they pull the RAZR small battery then release a larger battery version shortly afterwards routine that they did with the original RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03