Don't Bother Checking for ICS it is NOT ready

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to comprehend how so many people can have that much time on their hands and be that obsessed about an operating system that the very next day will have the same people complaining about how it screwed up their phone, deleted their apps, or lowered their battery life.

Get a job or get laid people.

Either way it will come when it comes and the phone is running perfectly fine as it is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I for one will be happy when Sunday gets here and all the people saying "It's not the end of Q2 yet" can STFU.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

"Rollout begins in Q2 2012"

Rollout began already.

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I for one will be happy when Sunday gets here and all the people saying "It's not the end of Q2 yet" can STFU.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

A little angry, lol. But I agree with you. I could care less about the quarter or anything, just tell me, hey by X Date you will be upgraded....that's fine with me

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'll be glad when this update is over so everybody will STFU up about it.

It was promised we are going to get it, Jellybean hasn't been promised. Hopefully Motorola and Verizon follow theses forums and anounce that due to all the whining and bs they put up with ICS is the last supported update this phone will see.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Reactions: apquijano and Ry

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'll be glad when this update is over so everybody will STFU up about it.

It was promised we are going to get it, Jellybean hasn't been promised. Hopefully Motorola and Verizon follow theses forums and anounce that due to all the whining and bs they put up with ICS is the last supported update this phone will see.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Waaaaaaa! :(

Sent via mental telepathy.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Waaaaaaa! :(

Sent via mental telepathy.

It's ok, stop crying and maybe after you get up from your nap you will have your update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes I think it would be better for these phones to be sold with the explicit condition that they won't be updated. Then when an update arrives unexpectedly, everyone would be overjoyed about it, instead of spending an inordinate amount of time fretting about when the next update will come.

Reactions: jroc and metz65

robertGregory

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You mean "Shut the front door!"

Anyone who is forced to wait, maybe they will be blessed with some last minute fixes etc...

First off, the upgrade in place is shoddy at best.

1. The Play Market does not work right - items you delete from the phone come back and install 5 minutes later. Delete them again, they come back again.

Furthermore, if you opted to instruct google to NOT keep your settings before the upgrade, then do the upgrade, you did a lot of button pushing for nothing. Your account settings come back etc.

2. Your corporate email account settings get trashed - if you had one prior to the upgrade you will notice that you cannot enable push notifications for that account. You have to remove it and start from scratch.

3. Normal features - available in GB, found in normal "make sense" places, e.g. The animation option, which was in settings / display is now in settings / developer options - boy that made a lot of sense. And, they broke out animation into two distict categories. WTF - this is a consumer phone not a developer phone... There's more. No more in pocket detection...

4. You can place icons over icons (they overlap each other) - from the applications to home screen bottom menu. I just dragged an app to the home screen and dropped it on another icon and it super imposed itself on another icon... what do you do about that...

I could go on.,,

and I just found out that the release of jelly bean will address issues of missing features that used to be in GB, but that are not present in ICS....

Finally, we will never see the light of day with respect to jelly bean on the razr - unless you mod it, right...

So, waiting is not a bad thing. buy a JB phone in 6 months...

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I think it would be better for these phones to be sold with the explicit condition that they won't be updated. Then when an update arrives unexpectedly, everyone would be overjoyed about it, instead of spending an inordinate amount of time fretting about when the next update will come.

I agree with that 100%. People get so preoccupied with these updates that they don't even enjoy the phone they have.

It's a vicious circle that never ends. 4 months of where is the update, 4 months about how the update tore up my phone, then 4 more months worried about the next update, lather rinse and repeat yearly.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I think I have a right to complain. Compete with what (or who)? Apple is not a threat - with the exception that their stuff just works...

My biggest complaint is that they drastically change the interface or feature set. Actually it might not be a google issue anyway... Who does carrier specific development? I'd lay it on them, as the user cannot sustain major changes. then on top of bugs it makes it that much harder to deal with...

There was a response above stating that 4.0.4 is buggy - and it is. Not terribly so, but it is.

Really, they should give an option to "completely" start from scratch vs. just an upgrade in place keeping your settings etc.

As a razr owner, we are also deprived of 4.0.4 features - that other carriers provide their 4.0.4 devices. For example, there are other devices, on sprint etc that received the 4.0.4 upgrade and can change the 4 icons on the lock screen - we cannot, verizon / motorola removed that feature from the build - WHY?

Maybe I should have just got an iPhone, or the next windows phone... but I did not.

Finally, about complaining...

I think I have the right to; as I am dishing out large amounts of cash, trapped in a contract, for this quality of product....

When has it become acceptable for companies to offer low quality technology - pitch it as the greatest thing, charge big dollars for it... and we do nothing about it...

seems to be the way of the world now - which really blows...

should I not be complaining because I opted in? hmmm

Yeah, maybe you should get an iphone. They make them just for people like you.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

4. You can place icons over icons (they overlap each other) - from the applications to home screen bottom menu. I just dragged an app to the home screen and dropped it on another icon and it super imposed itself on another icon... what do you do about that...
Hey, yeah. That's called a FOLDER genius.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. The Play Market does not work right - items you delete from the phone come back and install 5 minutes later. Delete them again, they come back again.

Odd, that hasn't happened to me.

3. Normal features - available in GB, found in normal "make sense" places, e.g. The animation option, which was in settings / display is now in settings / developer options - boy that made a lot of sense. And, they broke out animation into two distict categories. WTF - this is a consumer phone not a developer phone... There's more. No more in pocket detection...

The animation thing kind of makes sense to me. I think they figured no one really wants to turn off animation unless they want to mega-tinker with the phone, hence placing it in developer options. For in-pocket detection, I don't know if that's an ICS limitation or if Moto just decided to ditch it, since I had seen a number of posts in the past about glitches related to this.

As was mentioned in a previous (snarkier) post, it's folder creation, which is a nice feature of ICS (and which is also present in iOS). If you want to interpose an icon rather than make a folder, you just have to make sure you're releasing it right between the 2 icons. Having just set up my wife's iPhone, it's the same issue there--you can easily make a folder by accident. But no sweat with either iOS or Android--you can easily undo it.

Although folder creation is a nice addition to ICS, it actually isn't necessary with the Maxx, because you can do the same thing by customizing your own app drawers and then placing shortcuts to those drawers on the homescreen. The advantage is that you're not limited to 16 apps/folder when using drawers.

Anyway, sorry that you're so frustrated with ICS. I hope part of it is just getting used to a somewhat new system. Maybe in another few weeks, it'll seem more second nature, and you'll forget what Gingerbread was like.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that 100%. People get so preoccupied with these updates that they don't even enjoy the phone they have.

It's a vicious circle that never ends. 4 months of where is the update, 4 months about how the update tore up my phone, then 4 more months worried about the next update, lather rinse and repeat yearly.

Such a terrible cycle. Some people need to realize that some things need to run their course and to enjoy the present while they can.

Either that or start a riot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Odd, that hasn't happened to me.

The animation thing kind of makes sense to me. I think they figured no one really wants to turn off animation unless they want to mega-tinker with the phone, hence placing it in developer options. For in-pocket detection, I don't know if that's an ICS limitation or if Moto just decided to ditch it, since I had seen a number of posts in the past about glitches related to this.

As was mentioned in a previous (snarkier) post, it's folder creation, which is a nice feature of ICS (and which is also present in iOS). If you want to interpose an icon rather than make a folder, you just have to make sure you're releasing it right between the 2 icons. Having just set up my wife's iPhone, it's the same issue there--you can easily make a folder by accident. But no sweat with either iOS or Android--you can easily undo it.

Although folder creation is a nice addition to ICS, it actually isn't necessary with the Maxx, because you can do the same thing by customizing your own app drawers and then placing shortcuts to those drawers on the homescreen. The advantage is that you're not limited to 16 apps/folder when using drawers.

Anyway, sorry that you're so frustrated with ICS. I hope part of it is just getting used to a somewhat new system. Maybe in another few weeks, it'll seem more second nature, and you'll forget what Gingerbread was like.

Yea...apps auto installing after being deleted hasnt happened to me either. Sounds like a factory reset is in store for that person. I just did one to see something...Or they need to check some backup/restore or Play Store settings. What I did like is with ICS on first boot up most of my apps reinstalled. That didnt happen with Froyo or GB. With 2.2 and 2.3 some of them did, but not alot. Maybe thats the updated Market/Play Store at play...

What I didnt like is the Play Store settings had it to put icons on my home screens automatically.

Last edited:

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea...apps auto installing after being deleted hasnt happened to me either. Sounds like a factory reset is in store for that person. I just did one to see something...Or they need to check some backup/restore or Play Store settings. What I did like is with ICS most of my apps reinstalled. That didnt happen with Froyo or GB. Maybe thats the updated Market/Play Store at play...

What I didnt like is the Play Store settings had it to put icons on my home screens automatically.

Yeah it comes like that for some reason. If you go to settings and unchecked auto add widgets it stops it

Reactions: jroc

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea...apps auto installing after being deleted hasnt happened to me either. Sounds like a factory reset is in store for that person. I just did one to see something...Or they need to check some backup/restore or Play Store settings. What I did like is with ICS on first boot up most of my apps reinstalled. That didnt happen with Froyo or GB. With 2.2 and 2.3 some of them did, but not alot. Maybe thats the updated Market/Play Store at play...

If you have your phone set to back up settings and data to your Google account, then when you do a factory reset, it will automatically restore your settings and most if not all of your apps (except for the ones you install through Amazon or other sideloaded apps).

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
heh, you guys make me laugh. be patient, and if you dont want to be patient, there are ways to get 4.0.4 in a legit way, and still be on path for future updates. in fact i used the same program to root mine as soon as the soak was finished.

Droid Razr Utility 1.7 [For Ics And Those Who Want To Go To Ics] - DroidRzr.com

dont fret, it is the same file that Verizon and Moto pushed.

For those that are willing to do it, this is the absolute SIMPLEST way to manually install ICS.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781