ICS phone dialer missing all contacts option

jlewis

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm playing with ICS after the update, and I wonder if I'm missing something.

1. The old stock phone dialer had an option to hit 'favorites' or 'contacts' and get a list of all contacts that you could easily scroll. The new dialer in ICS only has 'favorites', 'recent', and 'dialer' as tabs across the top. Is there a simple way to get a list of all contacts while in the dialer?

2. Also, the new dialer has HUGE icons for each contact. Instead of a nice list, it has giant pictures so only a few fit on the screen. I don't use photos for my contacts so this is just wasted screen space. Any idea how to get back to reasonable sizes?

Last edited:

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I see what you mean. There must be a way to display the contacts in the dialer without instead having to hit search.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Press search then swipe the keyboard out of the way?

I have over 500 entries in my contacts, so a display of the whole list doesn't really do me a whole lot of good. But that may just be me :)

I do like the fact that the dialer supports "T9" style name dialing . . . For example, dial 5646#76484, and if you have a contact named "John Smith" his entry will pop up for dialing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1414H77

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. That works, but not very intuitive to figure out. If you had not told me I might never I have stumbled across this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From the dialer, you can just type either the first few numbers or the first few letters (using the phone keypad), and the phone will bring up the most likely contacts, so you don't really need the contacts link directly in the dialer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
From the dialer, just tap the magnifying glass, up comes a search function, enter a letter or more, and get the contact you are looking for. Easy.

Yes, not intuitive, at first blush, but it is once you know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From the dialer, just tap the magnifying glass, up comes a search function, enter a letter or more, and get the contact you are looking for. Easy.

Yes, not intuitive, at first blush, but it is once you know.

I would point out that you don't even have to hit the magnifying glass. Just start typing using the phone keypad (don't have to bring up the full QWERTY keyboard), and it'll start looking for the appropriate contact as you type. Pretty much like Blackberry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21