how to turn off background data

handyman79

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i usually have this off cause i have no reason to suck the battery dead on my phone when im not on it alot. on GB it was fairly easy to turn on and turn off....seems like with ICS i can't figure out how to keep from getting email alerts and when i have turn one thing off, something else doesn't work like text messages. any help would be nice

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Settings > Data Usage > menu button > Restrict background data
You'll have to set a monthly limit in order to turn it off, though. If you're on unlimited, go ahead and set the warning sky high.

handyman79

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
oh no i have only 4gb, but i never have ever gone over .6 gb cause i always had it turned off cause where i work at i can barely get a signal anways, but ive noticed just in the past few days ive had ICS ive had a ton of usage in the background data since i couldn't figure out how to turn it off. i had problems not being able to send text messages out and receiving messages as well when i did turn the background data. plus my phone call service went to the dumps after i downloaded ICS i usually had 5 bars all the time, now i can only get 2 if that

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Settings-> Accounts & sync, and turn the toggle at the top of the screen to off. You can still manually sync when you want to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Jaxagirl

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so very much Dovahkiin. I just did an update on my android phone & lost all of my basic settings, having to re-install much of everything. You used to be able to go straight into settings and check a box to "Disable Bacground Data", but now with the upgrade, I looked almost everywhere & couldn't find it. Thanks to you, I have. Won't be forgetting that one in a hurry, - oh, until they change it in the next update, of course! :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol