How to do a factory reset thread.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to bite the bullet (as one other poster said) and do a factory reset. I mean I had Gingerbread from the factory and it's updates on Maxx, then stuck this MAJOR update on him, so really, he'll do better to get a fresh start.
My programs are running fine I think, maybe a little slow.
I'm more concerned about reception and battery life seem deficient and not what Motorola was saying should happen. BAAAD reception in fringe areas where GB picked up great. Battery...with GB I'd go to bed with 50% left.
Now, I'm lucky to make it all day and have 15%, same useage.
Other than those two things, I really like the new dairy product.
This time instead of writing down how things/apps are arranged...all I have to do is Screenshot! muy bien.

It'll also be nice to clean it up and get rid of some old apps anyways.
I'll let you all know if it's better, or....
gulp..
worse (I sure hope not)
Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: bradenfontaine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gonna do a factory reset.

I think you'll find a nice improvement in performance after the reset. Remember that you can access a list of all of the apps you've ever downloaded from Google Play under the My Apps section, then swipe to the right.

Reactions: jdazzle

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I was going to do one last night but couldn't figure the security code. I don't remember setting one and tried 6 0's. Nodda.

Edit: Performed a factory reset. Was thankful to have had most of my apps backed up so that was good. But many things must be set back up now. the good news is it does feel lighter and faster. It for sure is now using way less ram. Ill be curious to see if any of this will help the battery but you know ill let you all know:) Oh and the security code was a requirement of my companies email policies. Also, you know your addicted to a site when its the first app you download back. That would be Android Central.
63994a47-7312-07db.jpg

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I was going to do one last night but couldn't figure the security code. I don't remember setting one and tried 6 0's. Nodda.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Security code? When did it ask you for that? Did you try the factory data reset option in Settings->Privacy?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

It's DONE! Wow....very quick. LOL.
I think that post about the security code was for Contact imports. I forgot mine too. lol.
Now...first thing of business is to get rid of these apps I don't want. Used to in GB, you just long pressed em and select hide.

JRR527

May 25, 2012
Visit site

I didn't remember mine either (code for contacts) and just tried four 0's and it worked. Not sure if that was the default or just got lucky but I would maybe give that a try.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I didn't remember mine either (code for contacts) and just tried four 0's and it worked. Not sure if that was the default or just got lucky but I would maybe give that a try.

Are you backing up contacts from Backup Assistant? Maybe that's why I'm not familiar with a security code for contacts. All of my contacts are in my Google account.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Because I was seeing more battery drain than I had prior to the ICS upgrade, I decided to do a factory data reset tonight. I did not check off erase internal storage and let the phone do its thing. When it came back up it reached out to Google Play and restored all of my previous downloaded apps. One thing that is puzzling though. When ICS first installed there was a Manage Applications shortcut on on the screens with an icon that pictured a blue panel with slider switches. Now that is nowhere to be seen and the Apps shortcut is the usual funky looking Android gray box with the gear wheel in it. I can't figure out what happened to the original icon. Anyone have any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Because I was seeing more battery drain than I had prior to the ICS upgrade, I decided to do a factory data reset tonight. I did not check off erase internal storage and let the phone do its thing. When it came back up it reached out to Google Play and restored all of my previous downloaded apps. One thing that is puzzling though. When ICS first installed there was a Manage Applications shortcut on on the screens with an icon that pictured a blue panel with slider switches. Now that is nowhere to be seen and the Apps shortcut is the usual funky looking Android gray box with the gear wheel in it. I can't figure out what happened to the original icon. Anyone have any ideas?

Go to Widgets, and drag Settings shortcut to the homescreen. It will then ask you to select which of the settings you would like to make into a shortcut. Not sure why the icon is no longer the blue panel with slider switches, because it's the gear box now, but it should still serve the same function.

How's the battery life now?

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Go to Widgets, and drag Settings shortcut to the homescreen. It will then ask you to select which of the settings you would like to make into a shortcut. Not sure why the icon is no longer the blue panel with slider switches, because it's the gear box now, but it should still serve the same function.

How's the battery life now?
That's what I did but that generic icon is so butt ugly in comparison to the original sliders icon. I'd like to get it back somehow. I won't know about the battery drain until tomorrow.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

I have had a good time rebuilding it. lol.
Been kinda cool going thru all the apps and pix and contacts and cleaning up a bit, rearranging.

It's really not that big a deal:
-Make a pot of coffee.
-back up SD stuff on your pc or Google drive
-restore to factory : Settings, Privacy, Factor data reset...heed the warnings and follow the screens, it's very simple. Have a good charge, 40-50% and some time on your hand.
-Drink coffee.
-login into Gmail and it does the rest!
loaded all my apps back up from Play.
Updated everything for me.
Then, just login back into apps as needed, Redbox/Pandora and whatever.
Drag em into folders
VOILA your done!
Drink more coffee.

Still have to see if it helps with battery and reception.
I can DEFINATLY see it runs smoother though.

Last edited:

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Do the SD and SIM cards need to be removed prior to the factory reset?

I didn't.
but it's my first time to reset a 4G.
It was odd it doesn't have to be reactivated. Once it booted back up, it said 'your phone is now activated and displayed the phone#'

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

With the SIM card, it stays activated. All your info is stored in the SIM card.
You should take your memory card out just in case your going though the reset process too fast and accidentally erase everything.
I never do but I take my time and not rush it and read the screens before hitting next.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

With the SIM card, it stays activated. All your info is stored in the SIM card.
You should take your memory card out just in case your going though the reset process too fast and accidentally erase everything.
I never do but I take my time and not rush it and read the screens before hitting next.

So if i do a factory reset are my contacts stored on the SIM card then automatically loaded after the reset? Or do i have to export them to the SIM card prior to reset then import them back after the reset?

RushNFour

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just did a factory reset and everything went smooth with the exception of two things. 1). When I try to add gmail into my email app along with my primary email it tells me my password is wrong, when I know it isn't. 2). I lost all my app data, I thought it would be recovered but I was wrong. Did I do anything wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just did a factory reset and everything went smooth with the exception of two things. 1). When I try to add gmail into my email app along with my primary email it tells me my password is wrong, when I know it isn't. 2). I lost all my app data, I thought it would be recovered but I was wrong. Did I do anything wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I believe your app data should be accessible in the Google Play Store.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe your app data should be accessible in the Google Play Store.

He might actually be referring to the data specific to each app, not the list of apps. According to the Google Support page, some apps will save settings and data to your Google account, but others won't, and there isn't a clear way to tell. Please refer to this:

Change backup & reset options - Android OS Help

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
SIM just has your activation info. Your contacts are synced with google and stored on the phone. This is what I was told by VZW rep.