Verizon CSR/salespeople suck..

jate322

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday my brother and sister-in-law go into our local Verizon store to upgrade their phones. They were deciding between the iphone and Razr Maxx. The sales person talked them into the Maxx (the better of the 2 IMO). They purchase the phones, get their Gmail set up and everything else. No mention of ICS or how to update to it. I saw him later that night and asked to see his phone and it was still on GB. I had to show him the update and he says "why didn't they show me that?" My response- they suck!

Sorry for the rant, just want to share my little story.

Reactions: Mercury81

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Easy - they are paid to sell phones. Yeah, they should know more, but it's the Radio Shack syndrome. Go from hiring people who know their stock in trade to people who will push sales for commissions, and as many as possible.

I got lucky and got a good salesman who fixed me up very well, but technical help even from him is non-existant. Anyway, the phone worked fine on Gingerbread and that's what they sold him.

Reactions: Ry and jdazzle

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc, etc, etc.... they are all the same... they want to make money and don't want to spend the next hour upgrading a smartphone if they were in the same position. Most of the reps at the store may only know about a few types of phones (their specialty brand)... and even if they bought a iPhone they would not have download and installed the latest version on their new phone.

Reactions: Ry

PeteK01

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
When you buy a computer, do they load all the updates on it before you walk out the door?

just sayin'....

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It takes 30 mins or so to get a new phone. If they updated every single phone during activation, it can take up to an hour or more. I wouldn't want to wait there for a new phone. I'll do it myself.
Plus what if someone didn't want the updated software and wanted to play with the new software just to get the feel of differences between GB and ICS.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Same song and dance. They are sales reps. Only thing that matters to the store at the end of the day is how much product did they sell and if the customer left the store happy with their level of treatment.

My personal opinion if I was a sales rep I would attempt to know as much as possible about the devices I'm pushing but that isn't the case in the real world.

Be happy the rep even knew how to turn the phone on and the basics, I've watched some of these people pull out the little throw away instruction manual to do some simple tasks because they had no idea how to use the device.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Problem with sales reps, they don't want to hire someone that knows their stuff, they'd rather hire those that know nothing.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Problem with sales reps, they don't want to hire someone that knows their stuff, they'd rather hire those that know nothing.

Again it comes down to can they make a sale? Sure the store manager or corporate end would like to have a knowledgeable person at the front lines of their store but in the end it comes down to can the sale rep produce SALES, and sometimes they can be completely lost when it comes to selling the product they are selling but if they know how to put the " sales pitch or spin " on the customer and make sales then they are accomplishing their job.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
In-store sales reps are usually starter positions. They get the job and are thrown into the fray. If they make their goals they can stay. If they exceed their goals they may get raises/bonuses/promotions. If they show real talent with the equipment or special knowledge they can apply for tech positions...it's pretty true in most sales industries, I think.

Think about a car dealership. I'm kind of a car nut and I've had to teach more than one salesman the features of the product he's supposed to be selling to me.

Phone sales are no different. If they can make it through the gauntlet they may have a future with the company.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Again it comes down to can they make a sale? Sure the store manager or corporate end would like to have a knowledgeable person at the front lines of their store but in the end it comes down to can the sale rep produce SALES, and sometimes they can be completely lost when it comes to selling the product they are selling but if they know how to put the " sales pitch or spin " on the customer and make sales then they are accomplishing their job.

Who would be better suited to make a sale? Someone who can tell the customer exactly why that phone is perfect for their needs and greater than sliced bread, or someone that only knows a basic bit that's highly laughable?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Who would be better suited to make a sale? Someone who can tell the customer exactly why that phone is perfect for their needs and greater than sliced bread, or someone that only knows a basic bit that's highly laughable?

I agree totally with the point your making. Besides being a Moderator here, I have very good knowledge of rooting & hacking and working with some code within ROMs.

So whenever I go into my local Sprint store to get my device serviced I always enjoy my time there because its a fun time watching and listening to the things coming out of the sales reps and even the repair techs mouths...

Example, right before the HTC EVO LTE 4G was released a sales rep was pushing the idea of this device on a customer. Customer asked what is so different or special about the new EVO over the old? The sales rep responded by saying it has better internet... (Referring to the new LTE network...) and a nice display... In the end that was his big sales pitch to selling the new EVO... LMAO!!!

It would be nice in a perfect world to have knowledgeable people working these positions but those are few and far between.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree totally with the point your making. Besides being a Moderator here, I have very good knowledge of rooting & hacking and working with some code within ROMs.

So whenever I go into my local Sprint store to get my device serviced I always enjoy my time there because its a fun time watching and listening to the things coming out of the sales reps and even the repair techs mouths...

Example, right before the HTC EVO LTE 4G was released a sales rep was pushing the idea of this device on a customer. Customer asked what is so different or special about the new EVO over the old? The sales rep responded by saying it has better internet... (Referring to the new LTE network...) and a nice display... In the end that was his big sales pitch to selling the new EVO... LMAO!!!

It would be nice in a perfect world to have knowledgeable people working these positions but those are few and far between.

But then we would all have jobs as reps, and there wouldn't be anyone here to help anyone :p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

One could infer that a person knowledgeable on that particular phone might not have have the people or social skills to close that sale.

The thing that matters the most to all of these retailers is making the sale.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure at the end of the day we would all love to have the most knowledgeable people selling devices and servicing them but it doesn't always work out that way. I'm not bashing any of these folks, they do their job, hopefully make the customer happy and make profit for the store in the end.

Then they come home and log into Android Central and we provide them the missing links. :)

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Lol

I've heard things like that before.

They try to give you a mediocre phone to get the fast sale.

One person told a customer the evo shift had a front camera on it lol. Said it was the same as the evo but it didn't have a kick stand.

Then said it was the first phone with a dual core cpu, they asked what that meant, he said "it's really really fast"

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
There have been a few times I have been in a Verizon store playing with phones and had to help the rep help someone.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Stone Cold RN

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a rep tell me that they were going to scrap ICS because of problems and go straight to Jellybean. They just don't care enough to learn the stuff they need to know. At least they are not doing surgery. I do think they should have been told about the update. At least they got the better phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a reason why ios users think the Apple stores are so cool...knowledgeable ios geeks available to teach you at the genius bar. Google needs to get some stores/ kiosks open an start making real connections with users. They can't continue to rely on the carriers to do it. Ultimately users will be more satisfied if there is a place dedicated to Android lovers with real experts and passionate salespeople like Apple...heck Microsoft is even opening stores now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech