Things I miss about Gingerbread

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I do love my ICS, a lot and wouldn't go back to GB now that I've had it a couple of weeks. It's MUCH smoother, cooler, more efficient for most things and just overall a better experience.
But I do miss a few Gingerbread crumbs:
-App useage: Although it's good to create a custom list in the apps drawer where the junk is not visible (thanks to some poster for that idea), I did like being able long press and hide any app I wanted. And I really miss the ability to simply long press and delete an app. There had to have been a good reason, unbeknownst to me, for leaving those two things out. Yes, you can go to settings/apps and roam around until you get to the delete.
But really little green Android...long pressing was so much quicker and easier. It's like when Walmart puts the milk at the back of the store, you know it's there, you just gotta go through the rest of the store just for a gallon of milk.
-They must really hate long pressing in new Android worlds. I mean why else would they take away long press and add widget? Why would they put that as a tab on Apps? It is associated I guess to an app, you have to have it. But, again, long pressing on an open spot on a screen for a widget was so much easier. There must be something insidiously bad that they're trying to move us away from when we used a good ole fashioned long press.
-There was some folder options you could go into and remove unwanted widget sizes, and I can't find that anymore. For instance, there are about 10 sizes of Jorte calendar that you have to scroll through if looking through widgets. If anyone knows how to get rid of those unwanted sizes, please chime in.
-The updated nav bar is awesome, it is much better to sideswipe something. But the fonts and colors are so much harder to see than in GB. I mean, for instance the battery % widget. You can't even read it on LARGE fonts in bright letters. I finally just turned it off and put one on the home screen. But that new stock battery is HUGE. If we could just change that grahic to a %, we'd be right on.

Other than those few slightly irritating things, I really enjoy ice cream sammiches.

Do you miss anything about Gingerbread?

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I miss nothing. ICS is my new girlfriend, and I couldn't be happier.

Well...until Ms. Jelly Bean shows up, of course.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I miss being able to auto end apps that I installed and feel should not be running when I'm done with them. I also had to change battery apps to see the numbers. Now using the one in the picture. Should be able to see the number at the top. Lastly, it hasn't been for everyone but Go Launcher still has the functions you liked. The fact that things don't really change drastically is why I tend to keep using GL as my UI. You keep all the functionality you became accustomed to plus most of the new features of ICS.
Favorite addition is screen shot.
63994a47-e062-e514.jpg

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I miss being able to have my bookmarks in a list mode. Seriously! I hate having them in thumbnails and you can't change it. (I know, I know. I need to switch browsers.)

Callindril

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I miss the USB Charge Only option...

During the day, I plug in to my PC for charge up, and listen to music on the phone at the same time...Not anymore... :(

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I do miss some of the long press actions, but its a matter of getting use to it not being there anymore. I haven't yet.
Overall ICS is a nicer platform, but a learning experience for those of us who have been using Android for awhile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the features mentioned were specific to Blur. The more features added by a vendor, the longer an update takes because they have to code for all their stuff. Stock Android OS is getting better and more mature with every release. While I like some of the features some skins have, I still prefer a stock OS.

Reactions: mapexonly

Callindril

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Huh? You can't charge via computer?

You can, but you no longer have the option of CHARGE ONLY, meaning you charge, but do not take the SD card offline...

You only have 3 options now when you plug the USB cable in from the computer:

Mass Storage
Media Device (MTP)
Camera (PTP)

All 3 of these take the SD card offline so that the PC can access it, but the phone itself cant.

GB and Froyo had another option Charge Only, where you couldn't access the SD card from the PC, and but it was still accessible from the phone...

Reactions: atlantar6

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't miss anything either. Not at all.

Gingerbread seems so juvenile after using ICS for a week. So many things that ICS can do, I just shake my head and think "how was this overlooked on Gingerbread?"

Those tiny little things that have been mentioned in this thread are certainly obnoxious to some, but I would say in comparison, they are not significant enough to ruin the experience. Except maybe the "CHARGE ONLY" option, but I use a HD Dock so it doesn't really affect me.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I miss the predictive keyboard. The new keyboard has predictions, but you can't just hit the space bar and bring it up. You have to physically tap the predicted word, and there are only two choices at any given time. Is there any way to bring that back?

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I miss the predictive keyboard. The new keyboard has predictions, but you can't just hit the space bar and bring it up. You have to physically tap the predicted word, and there are only two choices at any given time. Is there any way to bring that back?

Go aftermarket keyboard.

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not thrilled about the keyboard either. I also miss the "press and hold" feature that was very intuitive. ICS is just a little different but overall I like it. Also I seem to be getting fantastic battery life with ICS had the MAXX off the charger for 2 days and it still had 40% left last night when I plugged it in (have a busy day today and no time to let it charge:))

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
A note about the keyboard. I too thought the prediction was lacking and then I saw in the menu options that the Motorola keyboard has a auto correct setting now. It defaults to off which is stupid. You can choose modest, aggressive, and very aggressive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Cherylgrrl

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Recently I had to switch phones from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the Razr Maxx because of problems caused by an ICS update that Verizon and Motorola couldn't fix. I was so happy to get the Razr because I thought the Gingerbread interface was lots easier to use. I'm cringing now that my phone is updating to ICS. Just hoping that the Motorola version is less buggy than the Samsung version. Fingers crossed!:-\

tonofmort

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't play embedded youtube videos in any browser anymore, so that's my biggest problem with ICS update. It has worked randomly in firefox, but usually just locks up the browser so that I have to close it and restart the app. I have done a factory data reset.

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
A note about the keyboard. I too thought the prediction was lacking and then I saw in the menu options that the Motorola keyboard has a auto correct setting now. It defaults to off which is stupid. You can choose modest, aggressive, and very aggressive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I figured this out shortly after my last post....the keyboard is actually quite good with the autocorrect on modest