For those of you that performed a factory reset after ICS......

Smudgie

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing some of the problems that others have reported after upgrading to ICS. My battery life has not dropped dramatically, but it appears to have gotten a little worse. I also have noticed that my cell reception (especially in fringe areas) has decreased. Therefore, I am strongly considering doing a factory restore. I do not think that it will be a huge deal for me as I got the phone shortly before ICS was made available. And I have not put too much on the phone yet. I do have two questions before I make the jump though:

1. For those of you that did a factory restore did this resolve your issues?

2. I have never done a factory restore on any of the prior phones that I have owned. Do I just have to go to settings>Privacy>Factory data reset>Click on "Erase Internal Storage" and then tap "Reset phone?" Or are there other steps (other than backing everything up) that I must do prior to resetting the phone?

Thanks for any info!

hobbes1879

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: For those of you that performed a factory reset after ICS....

I just did a factory reset on mine a few days ago. My phone was running several degrees hotter than it used to, and had a small drop in battery life, which I imagine was affected by the extra heat. Figured it couldn't hurt to try. And, it worked. My phone's temps are back to where it used to be, and my battery life seems to have improved beyond what it was with GB. I've been happy.

Performing the reset is as simple as laid out. I would make sure the "Back up my data" is checked. If you check "Automatic Restore," then once you enter your google account, all the apps you had installed, will automatically re-install themselves.

Other than that, just back up what you want. I sync all my contacts with google, so no need to worry about that. To back up SMS, MMS, pictures, music, and some other settings, I use MyBackUp. There's a paid version, but the free one comes with a 30 day no restricted use free trial. It works great. On GB, it would remember your home screen layout (minus widgets), and restore that, but that function seems to be broken on ICS. Everything else works perfectly though.

Good luck! I hope reset works for you!

Smudgie

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I just did a factory reset on mine a few days ago. My phone was running several degrees hotter than it used to, and had a small drop in battery life, which I imagine was affected by the extra heat. Figured it couldn't hurt to try. And, it worked. My phone's temps are back to where it used to be, and my battery life seems to have improved beyond what it was with GB. I've been happy.

Performing the reset is as simple as laid out. I would make sure the "Back up my data" is checked. If you check "Automatic Restore," then once you enter your google account, all the apps you had installed, will automatically re-install themselves.

Other than that, just back up what you want. I sync all my contacts with google, so no need to worry about that. To back up SMS, MMS, pictures, music, and some other settings, I use MyBackUp. There's a paid version, but the free one comes with a 30 day no restricted use free trial. It works great. On GB, it would remember your home screen layout (minus widgets), and restore that, but that function seems to be broken on ICS. Everything else works perfectly though.

Good luck! I hope reset works for you!

Ok - thanks for the reply. I did read in another post the writer indicated to UNCHECK "Back up my data" as well as "Automatic Restore." I am guessing that either way would not matter too much to me seeing that I do not have that much on the phone yet.

thewinow

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

The restore MAY have improved my battery a little, other than that...still sucks

hobbes1879

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I like to keep "Automatic Restore" unchecked, and manually re-install what I want. It really doesn't matter. I've heard people say to check "back up my data," and people say not to. I only keep it checked so I don't lose wifi settings. I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

incoehoots

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

My battery life tanked, so I did a factory reset and it helped A LOT! I am at 28 hours and battery is 54%. I also have let it run down and charged while it was off once and will do that one more time. HTH :)

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

One thing to watch for if you use the restore option is to pull down the notification bar and monitor the progress. Wait for it to completely finish before doing other stuff. I have done restores in the past and wondered why only some of the apps restored. The last time I let it completely finish an all of my apps were restored.

The factory restore made big difference in battery life and os speed for me. I also noticed the phone runs much cooler.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
That's all you need to do. I reset mine 2 days ago and jts definitely running cooler, battery matches GB and might actually be a little better. No change in reception. Verizon shows me well within 4G coverage and I never get 4G at home and Verizon's 3G is a joke (thanks Iphone). I just switched to Verizon from TMo and I was getting 20 to 26 download on my GS2. Coverage is great elsewhere though. Back to my Maxx: Just charged it and before charging I was at 30% after 27 hours which included 6.5 hours of screen time. I just love the battery life on the Maxx. It was definitely worth the hassle to reset and get back to a very stable phone. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The reset was a big help...heat spike issue seems to be gone...browser works better..every app improved a bit...i think reloading them helps update them to ics somehow...dont get me wrong I think being required to do a factory reset after a major upgrade is a problem for Google...it was not required to go from wp7 to mango nor was it required moving to ios 5 on my dw phone...this seems to be the big price for freedom so i paid it.

bill1171

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

going to try now didnt touch phone and battery dropped 90% in 10 hours

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to be charged or plugged in...also set to 4g or itll take while....

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site

I just did a factory reset and omg! What a difference. I didn't lose anything and the entire look and feel is completely different. Happy camper.

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site

One more thing. Some have mentioned on here that after update, they were not able to uninstall bloatware. I never got the bloatware after my manual install last Saturday early morning. After factory reset bloatware is there and I'm able to uninstall ones i don't want. If I'm repeating another post or response, i apologize.....:)

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Did a factory reset tonight. Backed up with my backup pro. All that apparently saved were my photos. Nothing else i saved would work. Battery seems to be a little better! Finally got everything set back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site

I did not backup a thing other than what google was set to back up. I was really scared but did it anyway. Contacts, apps. Photos and video all came back. All I had to do was rearrange apps on screen .Testing battery life today.

kdmea

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Just did a factory reset. Took about 25 minutes and was completely simple. The phone walked me through the process of resetting and restoring. Once I logged into Google and Gmail all of my apps were downloaded and updated. They did all show on my home screen so I had to remove the ones I did not want to show there. Phone seems faster and smoother. Dont know about battery life, but I was not having too many issues there.:cool:

Smudgie

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Did a factory reset yesterday morning. Everything running better now. And best of all I have been unplugged for 25 hours and am at 70% battery. That is a significant increase in battery life for me.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Did a factory reset a few days ago and battery life still isn't as good as GB. It is way smoother and boot up time is faster.