Contact confusion

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, have you ever tried to explain something you don't understand? So, excuse me if it sounds like I'm stupid. Actually, I guess I am, but this is going to make me sound stupider. :)

Everything works fine, but I've always been confused as to contacts from mutliple places and this is where all this social integration is not so good.

As I was working on assigning ringtones to my kids, I've found their contact info is from different 'sources': some from Backup Assistant + contact phone and some from Google contact. For instance, my son is from Backup Assistant+ contact phone and my daughter's contact is from Google contact. I didn't 'assign' them to either. I just imported my contacts from VZW BAckup assistant and then synced my Google contacts. Somewhere in there, you get some Facebook contacts thrown in just for good measure.
And to confuse things further, my son's always gets confused with my brother's name. My son is Anthony and my brother is Tony..same last names.
So, I have to go in and separate those manually because the lil Android man thinks they are the same thing even with different numbers and merges them.

In my People app, I have assigned my son a pic and a ringtone. I click that pic, dial his # and then a different OLDER pic shows up in the dial window, same phone number, just different pic. I'm not sure where that contact/pic are from? Same kid and same number. When I assign a ringtone from Zedge to him, it takes it. But when he calls me, it's not the one I assigned. I'm thinking about deleting him and starting all over, but...it's backed up somewhere..FB? VZW? where else?
The bottom line is there are TOOOOO many people running together with all these contact sources and then they get backed up by default. Something needs to be cleaned up and turned off.
In the scheme of things, it's so trivial.
But, it's just been this way a long time and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

A 16 year old boy doesn't like being associated with the Old Spice Whistle when he calls me.
:)
Thanks

BigSwoe

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Under settings - accounts, you can turn off contact syncing for any accounts that you do not want contact info. This includes FB, twitter, etc. I only pull contacts from one place as it can be quite confusion as you state. Particularly when Android decides to join what it thinks are matched from different sources.

NJ Fred

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I am with BigSwoe. I have 2200 FB friends. My People directory looked like the Manhattan telephone book till I adjusted syncing.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I have Gmail (two accounts? whut? Same email address but shows up as a G icon and then a stamp icon) but both are off sync.
The only ON one is the Backup Assistant + .
And no FB sync to be found. I think I remember turning that off when I reformatted for ICS.
So.......what's a fellar to do?