background data....seriously not happy

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Dang it. All I found is that you can go in and force stop it. But it will just reactivate at random. Is there ANY way to make it stop using (wasting) resources?

handyman79

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
id like to say since i downloaded the power control app. and disabling a lot of the other stuff...my data has considerably dropped off big time...id hope more who are having the same problem read this thread and do the same if you find your phone using up back ground data

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
id like to say since i downloaded the power control app. and disabling a lot of the other stuff...my data has considerably dropped off big time...id hope more who are having the same problem read this thread and do the same if you find your phone using up back ground data

That's good to hear! Were you able to pinpoint the main culprit?

bilbrazrguy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I really wish we could disable Backup Assistant. It's one of the few bloatware apps that can't be disabled. Anyone who uses it should seriously consider migrating their data to Google services like Gmail/Contacts, Google Music and Picasa. It's just makes it so easy.

you can freeze it with ultimate backup, same as disable, but only if rooted. I freeze everything from backup, verizon, flickr, facebook, device setup, verizon videos, lets golf, nfl......and the list goes on. Just dont turn off any system functions.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I really wish we could disable Backup Assistant. It's one of the few bloatware apps that can't be disabled. Anyone who uses it should seriously consider migrating their data to Google services like Gmail/Contacts, Google Music and Picasa. It's just makes it so easy.

That's exactly why I have never set it up and have always kept it from synching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

handyman79

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear! Were you able to pinpoint the main culprit?

to be honest im not sure, i think even when i had back ground data restricted, it was still doing it. turning off my 3G while im at work, and only putting it on when im actually needing it to, dipped my data usage finally. not sure if its just my phone or maybe the update didn't work fully, but now its under control

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Just decline the agreement for Backup Assistant when you first setup your phone and it won't do anything but sit in the background waiting for you to change your mind!

sparklerise

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks. So I am getting the 'background data restricted' in the drop-down. I just need a non-tech description of what I should do. Yes, it does go away in time, but it just adds to the clutter if I receive other notifications. I just took my phone to Verizon store and they did not fix the problem. Thanx.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Backup assistant is useless. Waste of space since everything is synced to Google.

Backup Assistant is put on Android devices to make the process of switching from a non-Android phone easier. My sister and niece both got their first Android phones (RAZR Maxx) the other day and were able to get their contacts back due to Backup Assistant.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame we can't disable it, though.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx on Android Central Forums.

mcmeyer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon backup only functions when you have Data turned on so use WiFi instead for synchronization. I discovered Verizon Backup Assistant Plus was disabled after I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.0.4. Who knows how it will react when Android 4.1 is released to GS3 by Verizon OTA in a few days. Verizon backup had issues when I installed SanDisk microSDXC 64GB memory card. Backup Assistant backups up your contacts and media. Verizon Media Manager can be automatically linked to Facebook, PhotoBucket, MySpace, and LifePics. Ideal for technophobes not using Google account that have Android phone but want their photos, videos, music, and contacts automatically backed up online. More technically savvy end users configure DropBox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, SugarSync, or other cloud storage services.

sammur

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I have big problems with data usage currently with my samsung galaxy s2. it has the new nexus operating system and since i've had the phone it has been using over 2 gb per month on just background data on just email. if I turn off background data then i don't receive emails and now I've found out that to use my phone abroad the largest data package is ?150 for 500 mb which would be easily used up in about 8-9 days. I only get about 10 emails a day and none with large attachments - only some pictures. Orange so called tech help are no use at all...

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
turn all of your data apps to sync manually. that way they only use data when you open the app. not when the phone is in your pocket with the screen off.

deerkkaebsong

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you went into settings and opened data usage? It should show you what apps are using what data and you do have the ability to restrict data on each app.

Problem is, my Samsung Note 3 has this thing called Android OS that has nothing to do with my apps. It's just my phone, and this android os has used 687 MB of my 1GB plan. It's the phone's problem, not the apps.

SandiMilone

May 4, 2017
Visit site
i have done what i was told to do by verizon, and by what i read on this site, but im still getting background data use on my phone. with this update it seems like verizon is forcing on its customers to blindly have to figure out how to turn off the background data, when it was as simple as a yes or no on the GB...i for one have emailed verizon over this and will most likely be jumping ship and probably getting a non android phone if this is the same case with other providers with the ICS update. it has been very frustrating when i never went over .5 and since the update ive used 1.3gb and not even before the new billing month. I know im not the only one with this complaint and feel as if Verizon has pulled one over on its customers with ICS rolling out the same time their new plan has rolled out as well.

I was wondering why my service wasn't working, and then I found it...I check my data usage, and there were THIRTEEN GB's USED IN THE BACKGROUND! I hadn't kept a close eye on my usage because I never go over 2 or 3 GB a month. In the last two weeks, ZERO GB usage in the foreground (I never use the stupid thing), and 12.61 GB used in the background. The only time I actually used it was around the time I see the spike happened: my friend messaged, "Hi. How are you doing?" And I replied, "Been better," and THAT WAS IT! What are those psychos at FB thinking, what were the app developers thinking, and who the heck is to blame for this craziness?????? Sure, I should check my data, but it's not as though this is a reasonable data usage to check for, even for streaming movies it would be insanely high, but in the background???? For an unused app??!??!??!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech