Gnex to the Razr maxx was the best move ever!

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
After a total of 5 Galaxy Nexus phones in 4 months I was forced to switch to a different model and after some fighting with a level 2 tech and her supervisor I got a Maxx approved. They offered me the regular Razr, a Rezound and an LG spectrum but I wasn't having that. I was lucky enough to get my Maxx a few days after the ics update was released to all so the transition wafs quite an easy one as stock ics and moto's version are almost identical. I do miss the 720p super amoled and the 4.65 as opposed to the 4.3 and I miss using google wallet but the positives of the maxx blow away the Gnex. The battery is just mind blowing and 4.0.4 just runs smoother on the Maxx as crazy as that sounds. The camera is much nicer then the one on the Gnex and signal strength is so much better. I'm not a gamer nor am I on facebook or twitter so I'm prretty much a light to moderate user and I charge my phone after about 48 hours of time off the charger. That's just amazing considering that the phone is so light and sleek. I've always been an Htc fan but moto has really impressed me with this device and the update to ics is the best that any legacy device has gotten. The last thing that makes this device better to own is the support that it has received since launch. I know ICS took almost 6 months but there have been quite a few bug fixes sent out and there is another one coming, with the Gnex the phone had serious issues and nothing was done except the update to 4.0.4 that caused more problems then I had running 4.0.2 and I'm sure it will be almost another 6 months before the Verizon variant gets 4.1 while the unlocked version received it yesterday. It's quite clear that Verizon cares more about their droid line especially the moto droids and in my opinion that's a good reason to hang on to this phone for quite some time.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I also went through three Gnex's since Dec 15. ICS was great on that device, signal sucked as well as the inability to stay connected during calls. Love the Razr. Great phone, great camera!
Only thing I miss bout the Nexus is the panorama camera software.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also went through three Gnex's since Dec 15. ICS was great on that device, signal sucked as well as the inability to stay connected during calls. Love the Razr. Great phone, great camera!
Only thing I miss bout the Nexus is the panorama camera software.

The Maxx's camera does have a panorama feature--you know that, right?. Are you referring to some other editing app?

Reactions: bradenfontaine

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel fortunate to have a bug free nexus. I used a razr (not the maxx) for about two months on and off. Not a bad phone but i really felt like it was just to dark. The maxx is nice, but a $100.00 nicer for those buying it. As for the 48 hour battery claim, thats awesome and all.. But like I explain to my clients, will you remember to plug your phone in every night or every other night or three? I am at 17 hours right now on my GS3, good enough for me.

Enjoy the phone though, it is a nice machine :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I feel fortunate to have a bug free nexus. I used a razr (not the maxx) for about two months on and off. Not a bad phone but i really felt like it was just to dark. The maxx is nice, but a $100.00 nicer for those buying it. As for the 48 hour battery claim, thats awesome and all.. But like I explain to my clients, will you remember to plug your phone in every night or every other night or three? I am at 17 hours right now on my GS3, good enough for me.

Enjoy the phone though, it is a nice machine :D

I just look at the battery indicator to decide when to plug it in, usually when it approaches 40%, so it's not a big deal for me. And one nice thing about the Maxx's battery is that when it gets to 30-40%, it still has several hours of moderate use left, as opposed to phones with smaller batteries where you're about an hour away from dead battery. 17 hours is pretty good, though--is that with heavy or moderate use?

hunteryezd

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am from One X, 1x is elegant, smooth, fast, fashion, yet, flaws on the corner, fast on the battery, fragile of its outer, I sold it after one month, and it earns me 60 dollars switching to maxx, now movie is ok, cam is ok, books a little big leggy, most of all, battery is super.
Hoping maxx 2 could have 6000Ahm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hunteryezd

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am from One X, 1x is elegant, smooth, fast, fashion, yet, flaws on the corner, fast one the battery, fragile of the outer, so I put it on sale after one month, and it finally do some good for me, it earns me 60 dollars switching to maxx, maxx movie is ok, cam is ok, books is a little leggy, but battery is super.
Hoping that maxx 2 could have 6000Ahm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I just look at the battery indicator to decide when to plug it in, usually when it approaches 40%, so it's not a big deal for me. And one nice thing about the Maxx's battery is that when it gets to 30-40%, it still has several hours of moderate use left, as opposed to phones with smaller batteries where you're about an hour away from dead battery. 17 hours is pretty good, though--is that with heavy or moderate use?

I talk about 1 to 2 hours per day
Send about 50-70 texts per day
Recieve about 25 emails
Take a few pictures
Browse the web about an hour or so..

I also constantly have customers playi g with it, testing it our etc etc.

I never need my navigation, and my brightness is normally set to auto.

I can say I have had two customers claiming the battery is weak, but you cannot please them all !:p

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I switched from using Timeriffic to Smart Actions (all I do is silence the phone at night and bring it back up in the mornings), and my battery life has gone through the roof. Yesterday when I put it back on the charger it had been on battery for 18 hours, and the battery was still at 79%. I can't complain about that.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus since almost release date. The battery life just hasn't measured up. Camera sucks as well. Picked up a Maxx to try for while and see how it compares. So far I don't feel I'm missing anything by using Maxx, but will see how performance and battery life is. May have Nexus listed for sale soon :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling I'm a Heavy Duty Champion Mega user. If I don't use hotspot on my phone it will last me all day, but under heavy use I have it down to 20ish by the time I go to bed. Light use it's down to 40-50.

Not that I'm complaining...any other phone wouldn't cut it through one of my days. :cool:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm reading the thread title and thinking wth is this guy smoking? The best MOVIE ever? How do you make a movie on this subject and why would you? Then I read the thread and slapped myself.)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm reading the thread title and thinking wth is this guy smoking? The best MOVIE ever? How do you make a movie on this subject and why would you? Then I read the thread and slapped myself.)

And to make it worse, I read it that way EVERY TIME IS SEE IT. My brain is broken.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't say its the best move ever for me, but it was a positive move for sure. Performance wise both phones worked about the same for me with the exception of much better battery performace on the Maxx.

Also there seem to be a larger selection of excessaries for the Maxx versus the Verizon GNexus.

Thus far my move from the GNexus to the Maxx has been a good one for me.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say its the best move ever for me, but it was a positive move for sure. Performance wise both phones worked about the same for me with the exception of much better battery performace on the Maxx.

Also there seem to be a larger selection of excessaries for the Maxx versus the Verizon GNexus.

Thus far my move from the GNexus to the Maxx has been a good one for me.

Given the choices that I was offered and the problems that i had on my Gnex's it was the only phone that was even close in my eyes in comparison to the Gnex, and as nice as the GS3 is I'm going to wait and see if people are experiencing the same poor signal strength from the weak radios that Sammy uses. The only GS3 to get on Verizon is the developers edition which has an unlocked bootloader but it's only available from Samsung directly and it still says coming soon on their site. It's just crap that out of the big 4 carriers that are offering the GS3 Verizon's is the only one with a locked bootloader. I'm going to hold on to my maxx for a bit and see what is available in the fall. The Note 2, various new nexus devices, a HTC phablet on Vzw with a 1080p display and the razr hd all seem very promising.

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Had a friend get the GNEX on launch. She loved the screen and the features. The operating system threw her for a loop but the issues that stood out was the camera for the GNEX what simply subpar in comparisons to other Samsung devices. I actually love the Samsung devices I have used. For more reasons than I can list here but the thing that got me about her GNEX was the fact that she couldn't get a work day on her battery. She has had to buy multiple chargers, additional batteries and now an extended batterty just so she doesn't get caught with no charge. The Touch wiz format to Motor blur is a switch and I didn't really have much issue with either. The GNEX all in all is still a great phone and device but for the money and offering I had to make the lean to the Maxx and I seriously could not be happier. My experience with Samsung although I really like their products was the delay that was always prevalent with Samsung/Verizon/OP updates. I find those updates to be more forthcoming with the Motorola/Verizon/OP combination thus far. So it was just a no brainer for me.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus since almost release date. The battery life just hasn't measured up. Camera sucks as well. Picked up a Maxx to try for while and see how it compares. So far I don't feel I'm missing anything by using Maxx, but will see how performance and battery life is. May have Nexus listed for sale soon :p

After a few days using Maxx i see i really lose nothing with Maxx but gain in battery and camera quality. Sold my nexus and will be rocking with Maxx for a while.

The Samsung G3 might attract me as my next phone, wife has one now and so far it's performed quite well.

So long nexus.....