ICS downloaded but NOT installed - still battery drain????

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
ICS was pushed onto my Maxx a few days ago. I for one, am planning to hold off on the upgrade due to a few issues reported here, mainly the battery life as that's the single most important thing to me.

Since I really don't have any complaints about GB, I was going to just leave everything alone. Well I have been noticing that my battery life has been pretty pathetic lately and my usage or environment has not changed. 6.5 hours after a charge and I'm down to 70%. Bad Ass Battery Monitor gives me an average of 2 days 11 hours on a charge.

I have not noticed any signal changing (for the worst) as some have also reported here.

Stats:

Voice calls - 40%
Wi-Fi - 18%
Android OS - 12%
rild - 11% <----- what the hell is that?????!!!!!
Phone Idle - 7%
Cell Standby - 6%
Display - 5%
Bluetooth - 2%

I have never seen rild before the push. Does anyone know what that is? I'm suspecting that's the reason for my recent down hill slide of battery life.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, read that but there doesn't seem to be a consences on why this is happening and what the solution is.

BTW, my phone is plain Jane, not rooted and only a bunch of minor apps (games, utilities, etc.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, read that but there doesn't seem to be a consences on why this is happening and what the solution is.

BTW, my phone is plain Jane, not rooted and only a bunch of minor apps (games, utilities, etc.)

Have you tried a power off-power on reboot? This has been mentioned in other forums as a way to correct the problem. Also, do you use any task killers? There have been suggestions that task killers in some situations might interfere somehow with the RILD app, causing it to go into overdrive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, are you using SmartActions? Some have reported that the RILD problem resolved after stopping SmartAction use.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey B., thanks for the flow of suggestions. Really appreciate it. Here's what I did to resolve the situation (hopefully permanent until it happens again, maybe :)).

Last evening I called up Bad Ass Battery Monitor and pulled up the process and forced a stop. Immediately, as expected, my 4G LTE connection went away but the phone still works (e.g., voicemail). Thinking that this is not optimum, I just power the phone off, waited a few seconds and back on. Viola! No more RILD process.

Overnight and this morning, still no existence of RILD and battery life is back to normal.

I do not use any task killers but I do use Smart Actions. However, I have been using the same SA configurations since day 1 so nothing has changed there. And I haven't installed any new apps recently.

Now I'm curious as to what actions caused RILD to pop up. Interesting!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it. I haven't found any definitive answer for the RILD issue either, but if it's any consolation, on the Motorola User's Forums, the main Motorola moderator (the guy who moderates the soak tests) has participated in discussions on this topic, and has basically said that the cause is not entirely clear, and they at Motorola are researching the issue, using input from the users.

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Gsam battery monitor shows kernel taking 23% of my battery under applications on my Razr running stock GB. Does that sound right?

Ouch...it's a Razr, Maxx.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
@beperry1, the Kernal should be up there in terms ranking of battery usage. On mine GSAM reports 6+% for ther Kernal, right below the Android system (also 6+%).

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
CRAP! Hey, Diddle, the problem is back!!!! Interesting that Motorola doesn't really know what is causing this!

After running down the bettery to 15%, I charged it up and within a few minutes I noticed that RIDL was running again. So this time I do a soft reboot (on/off plus volume buttons) and although RIDL was still there, it seems to be doing better.

Then, this morning I noticed that the battery drained 50% (!!!!!) overnight!!!!! W-T-F????? And I use Smart Actions to turn almost everything off from 11pm - 6:30am. I checked the battery level at 8am. This has NEVER happened before in the two months of ownership!

This is not good!!!! I'm almost tempting to just go ahead with ICS to see if this go away.

Do you think that Verizon changed something on their towers that would activate this Daemon? BTW, I work at home so it's not like I'm wondering from tower to tower.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Aw, heck. Not sure I can help you any further. It's probably worth your while to just do the ICS update. I've never had the RILD problem after the update, but then again, I never had it on Gingerbread either.

If you're worried about decreased battery life after ICS, then you could try the following:
1. Cache partition wipe after the update (search this forum for "cache wipe" or "cache partition" for instructions).
2. Wait a few charge cycles, since things improved essentially back to normal after about 4 or 5 cycles.
3. Try letting the battery run down to around 20-30%, then powering down and fully charging--may have to do this a couple of times.
4. Bite the bullet and do a factory reset after the update.

Many people have found that all or some combination of these solutions helped completely, sometimes only partially. My battery life continues to kick butt.

Good luck. If I find out more about the whole RILD thing, I'll let you know.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you sir! I will also post back once I decide on what solution to pick but I'll do some more investigating and making notes of my actions and results.