Let's talk disabling your bloatware

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I only have a few disabled. Some of which you have to uninstall updates, then you will be able to disable them. I can't remember which ones i have disabled but I'm pretty sure someone well name off which ones they have disabled and will match mine lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ricebw

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Good question -- I would like to know specifically which ones have running processes that use battery. I would like to kill those. In other words, I don't care about their icons being present, just their effect on battery and performance.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far here's what i've disabled so far, are these apps the same as bloatware?

Kindle
Stock Browser
Google Play Books, movies
Google +
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoPrint
Music Store
My Music
Netflix
Slingbox
Stock text messaging
Verizon Video
Video Surf

jvm1982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So far here's what i've disabled so far, are these apps the same as bloatware?

Kindle
Stock Browser
Google Play Books, movies
Google +
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoPrint
Music Store
My Music
Netflix
Slingbox
Stock text messaging
Verizon Video
Video Surf

Most of it I think could be considered bloatware. Out of curiousity though how are your MMS messages doing coming through? I disabled Stock Text Messaging and was not getting any. Just curious.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most of it I think could be considered bloatware. Out of curiousity though how are your MMS messages doing coming through? I disabled Stock Text Messaging and was not getting any. Just curious.

I've been using Go SMS Pro and haven't had a problem receiving any, although i've only had pix come through nothing else so far.
Are you still having issues with yours?

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Everything that is disabled on my phone.

Amazon Kindle
Apps (Verizon)
Facebook
Google Play Books
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
Google+
Help Center
Home Screen Tips
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoPrint
MusicFX
My Accounts
My Music
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Rescue Security
Slacker
Slingbox
Sync Service
Talk (Google)
TalkBack
V Cast Tones
Verizon SSO Engine
Verizon Video
Video Surf
VZ Navigator
VZW Package Installer

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everything that is disabled on my phone.

Amazon Kindle
Apps (Verizon)
Facebook
Google Play Books
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
Google+
Help Center
Home Screen Tips
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoPrint
MusicFX
My Accounts
My Music
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Rescue Security
Slacker
Slingbox
Sync Service
Talk (Google)
TalkBack
V Cast Tones
Verizon SSO Engine
Verizon Video
Video Surf
VZ Navigator
VZW Package Installer

What is Verizon SSO Engine and Rescue Security?
I wanted to make sure what they were before disabling, i'm guessing they're not needed?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Good timing on this post, for me, because I had some questions about this. Slacker was one that I attempted to do this too because I never use it. So I did the uninstall the updates thing and removed it. However after a restart, I noticed that the Play store downloaded the updates back automatically and thought maybe it reactivated it. I think I realized that you have to take the further step to disable it under the ALL tab and so I think I’m good now.

Another thing I’m trying is moving unwanted running apps to the internal storage.
First I found something that was running that I hadn’t use in awhile. Amazon MP3 was one these. I couldn’t remember the last time I used it but there it was under my Running tab. I didn’t want to delete it because occasional I will use it. Ok so I went over to the Downloaded tab, found it and then selected ‘Move to Internal Storage’. It went away from my Running apps immediately and has not returned. I repeated this on 3 others that were bothering me and they have not returned. Since doing this, my RAM has appeared to remain right around 600MB which has kept things very smooth.

I am now following the suggestions on this post to ‘Disable or Remove’ everything I don’t use. Thanks for the guidance and let me know if there is anything to my suggestion above for moving, apps that appear to be running for no reason, to the Internal Storage. Let me know if it helps or negatively effects anyone else.

Thanks,

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Good timing on this post, for me, because I had some questions about this. Slacker was one that I attempted to do this too because I never use it. So I did the uninstall the updates thing and removed it. However after a restart, I noticed that the Play store downloaded the updates back automatically and thought maybe it reactivated it. I think I realized that you have to take the further step to disable it under the ALL tab and so I think I?m good now.

You may have figgered this out already, but you oughtta go into Play Store and un-check Auto Update on the ones you disable.

Reactions: leroybrute

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
What about LiveWallpapers, Stock Calculator, Stock Calendar, Stock Weather, FaceUnlock(?), QuickOffice, SmartActions, SocialLocation/Sharing, Swype, VideoCalling, Voice Search, Voice Commands, Google Search, and YouTube? I've got no use for these, especially YouTube.

Does this affect your ability to get System Updates?

Last edited:

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What is Verizon SSO Engine?

It has something to do with the My Verizon app. I disabled that Verizon SSO engine and was not able to log onto my Verizon account through the My Verizon app to see my data and voice usage. I re-enabled the SSO engine and the problem resolved.

Honestly, I would leave that Verizon SSO engine alone. I use the GSam Battery Monitor app that tracks which specific apps are using what percentage of battery life. I have never seen the Verizon SSO engine take more than 0.1% battery life.

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Some apps don't give you the option of disabling it until you uninstall the update.

Thanks....
I guess someone at Motorola thought that made sense. Lol.
On other hand, makes it more difficult to disable it. And that bound to make the bloatware vendors happy.

Sent from Marx Maxx

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
What is Verizon SSO Engine and Rescue Security?
I wanted to make sure what they were before disabling, i'm guessing they're not needed?

The SSO Engine deals with signing on to Verizon from your phone, and the Rescue Security allows remote access to your phone for technical support. Neither I will ever need.

Anything related to a Verizon App, or that ties the phone to Verizon, I kill. It has nothing to do with the amount of memory or battery they may use, I simply do not want them running on my phones if they are never to be used.

Reactions: Venez68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay