It appears that we cannot simply hit a check box like before to limit background data in ICS & you have to set a data limit to do it?! Stupid since some of us (myself included) have unlimited data.

Any way to remove the warning icon in the top bar that won't go away while you have background data disabled?
    07-22-2012 02:34 PM
    i deleted all of my smart actions & also someone else recommended this: menu-system settings-data usage-menu those three should be unchecked as well as at the top "set mobile data limit" should be unchecked, (mine wasn't checked however...) i checked "set mobile data limit (you have to do that one first) then menu & i checked restrict background data. then i backed out completely, went back in "menu-system settings-data usage-menu -uncheck restrict background data, uncheck at the top set mobile data limit. power down then power back up and that's that so far so good ... however it's only been a half hour.
    07-24-2012 02:29 PM
    This is how I have found to disable background data, but when I uncheck it I find that I have to reboot the phone no matter what if I want to have background data work again.

This is bs. They really dropped the ball on ICS. I badly want to go back to the previous system.
    07-24-2012 02:49 PM
    i had the same problem as well...i have a posting on here bout it, and another person told me to download power controls, its helped me very much with cutting down the background data and the IO eating up most of the battery.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    07-24-2012 03:06 PM
    i had the same problem as well...i have a posting on here bout it, and another person told me to download power controls, its helped me very much with cutting down the background data and the IO eating up most of the battery.
    I already have data enable so power control won't help me. I'm not looking to shut down all data.
    07-24-2012 03:17 PM
    I already have data enable so power control won't help me. I'm not looking to shut down all data.
    Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question... but what exactly is the background data? Is it email push, notifications? What is actually running in the background? Thanks, just trying to get a better understanding of all this
    07-25-2012 07:54 AM
    Facebook, Breaking News, Twitter, Email, all of these use data when you are not using it to check for new tweets, new Facebook posts, breaking news, even your weather apps and widgets use background data to keep the weather conditions current and to check for alerts. disabling background data save a huge amount of battery life and is especially useful for those not on an unlimited data plan.
    07-25-2012 09:14 AM
    Facebook, Breaking News, Twitter, Email, all of these use data when you are not using it to check for new tweets, new Facebook posts, breaking news, even your weather apps and widgets use background data to keep the weather conditions current and to check for alerts. disabling background data save a huge amount of battery life and is especially useful for those not on an unlimited data plan.
    Thanks!
    07-25-2012 09:45 AM
    just hit that little thumbs up button under anything ive helped you with
    07-25-2012 09:58 AM
    just hit that little thumbs up button under anything ive helped you with
    I did that first but wanted to say it as well.
    07-25-2012 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD