Got a SURPRISING good app? Share!

Nyobie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Real Calc is great! I use it all the time.

Has anyone here tried IMDB? I love that app. Also, Netflix works surprisingly well and since I still have an Unlimited Data Plan, I have no worries about overages.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAX using Xparent Purple Tapatalk (RIP Thunderbolt)

Reactions: Praggles

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
i bought Minimalistic Text a few phones back. someone on here got me interested in using it again. i must say, it is easily one of my favorites. the learning curve is sharp, but with some practice it becomes quite customziable.

41bc3b02-7160-1373.jpg

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
it can be gorgeous, but it takes a whole $#@% ton of tweaking. worth every penny. granted it is free, but there is a "donate app" just to buy the guy a beer.

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Just touch the right edge of the screen. You can customize the number of the rings, the commands on each ring & set the size for the pop-up gesture in the settings. The default size is about right for me, get too large and it can interfere with controls on web pages. Outstanding browser. I use all 3 rings customized for my uses. By far the easiest & fasted mobile browser navigation I've seen and load speed is equal to any.

Sent from my Verizon 4G RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Ok i see now. ICS browser + is in the play store. It isn't the stock browser, but just based on it. I couldn't figure out the extra rings until i figured that out. The actual stick browser he's only 1 ring. Thanks!

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok i see now. ICS browser + is in the play store. It isn't the stock browser, but just based on it. I couldn't figure out the extra rings until i figured that out. The actual stick browser he's only 1 ring. Thanks!

Correct. This adaptation makes the default a really slick app. As I said, this is what the default version "should" have been. I now find myself using it almost exclusively.

Sent from my Verizon 4G RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking that we've gotten away from the OP's original question, which was about apps that are surprising in a good way or bad. Most people are posting apps which they like (which is totally fine), but how about getting back to the original premise?

Here are some apps that surprised me in a GOOD way:

1. DigiClock, by Dave Goemans: I thought this simple clock widget would just be temporary, but I've found it to be the best combination of looks (some neat fonts, especially with the beta version), size, and versatility. I've found other clock widgets don't have neat fonts, or don't display the date to my liking, or are just too huge in display size and file size.

2. Google+: Really cool UI, a lot smoother and faster than Facebook. We just need to get more people on Google+!

3. Medscape: I didn't expect this free medical database/calculator to be the best overall comprehensive program for patient management in the hospital. Can't beat free!

4. Yahoo Sportacular: I had ESPN Scorecenter for a while, but was always a little annoyed at the relatively sluggish startup. Yahoo Sportacular (who woulda thought that Yahoo could make decent apps?) is much faster, and also leaner. Of course, it doesn't come with ESPN videos, but I never looked at those anyway.

Here are some that surprised me in a BAD way:

1. Chrome: I noticed significant sluggishness, even after it exited beta. And not just on my Maxx--it totally slowed down my Acer A500. I still think the stock ICS browser does a lot of what Chrome boasts (e.g., sync your bookmarks with your Google account, browse Incognito, multiple tab browsing), and it seems to work faster than Chrome as well, at least in my experience.

2. Facebook: Not a surprise in that a lot of people seem to complain about it, but a surprise to me that such a huge social networking company can't quite get their Android app to work as smoothly and as quickly as I'd expect.

3. Google Currents: I tried this a few months ago, and it takes up massive memory. I like Pulse a lot better--it's leaner, but still has good access to a lot of news and blog sites.

That's what I can think of so far.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax