GPS issue

incoehoots

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Recently since ICS my GPS isn't working very well. I don't know if it could be ICS or not really. It just searches forever! Sometimes doesn't lock at all. Reminds me of when I had AOSP roms on my TB. Maxx is not rooted and stock.
Is this a issue with the unit or software? Anyone chiming in please, I want to get this figured out, thanks!

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

S'strooth! Use Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS state>Reset then back into Tools>Manage A-GPS state>Download to get fresh gps location data from the web. As they say, it will speed up getting a lock 'for a few days' and you can run it again later on as needed.

After you close the app it will not be running in the background, so no cpu or battery burden.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Same thing for me. Takes me 3 mins to lock on. Even with GPS status app.

Talked to the VZ rep this morning and she has a Maxx that's doing the same thing. Said she can see where others have reported the same thing but doesn't know if it's reached a point where Moto will pay attention to it. Call VZ and let them know about it.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same issue.... I could stand outside on a clear day, nothing blocking me and my MAXX from space for miles, and yet it still won't lock on to a signal. Really sucky GPS since ICS came in to play. I'll see how much play this has been getting over at the Motorola Owners Forums.

jchasan

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had same issue (only) since ICS, but what bugs me is that my wife's maxx with ICS could be sitting next to me and get an immediate GPS lock every time. its obviously not consistent with every device or combination of installed apps.

this drove me nuts back when i had my d/x. i don't want to have to go back to this mess.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
that app i posted works quite well, give it a try and see if it will help, havent met anyone (in person) who tried the app and it didnt improve their GPS.

jchasan

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
thanks, i have that app. i'm familiar with it from my droid/x days. didn't need it on GB so forgot about it. just reinstalled and will start using it again.

problem with that app is that the fix doesn't last forever, and you don't want to have to fiddle with all that while you are driving and can't get google nav to work because of this bug.

FWIW, there was another app i used to use on my d/x called gpsfix. that one stayed running in background so was a better solution. problem was it was riddled with ads (airpush). when i was rooted on my d/x, i could block that stuff. i'm not rooted on my maxx and would never recommend it because of the way they do ads.

incoehoots

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Same thing for me. Takes me 3 mins to lock on. Even with GPS status app.

Talked to the VZ rep this morning and she has a Maxx that's doing the same thing. Said she can see where others have reported the same thing but doesn't know if it's reached a point where Moto will pay attention to it. Call VZ and let them know about it.

isn't is funny how every rep you talk to has the same problem or the same phone as you? Riiiight.
Anyway I called Verizon about the problem and they just said its a bug that happens to some when going from GB to ICS. They sent me a CPO with ICS already loaded and it works great. I just love replacing/redoing all the crap on my phone when I am not rooted *sarcasm*

They didn't even hesitate so I am not going to complain. Took me 4 TB's to get one that was right.

Works awesome now :D

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
They seemed to have fixed it on the. 215 leak. I get a lock in 4-6 sec almost every time. I was having real issues with GPS once I installed ics ota. Hopefully the bug fix update that we're supposed to get fixes the issue.

loarmistead

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled Maps from my phone, and reinstalled it. After reinstalling, my GPS seemed to lock immediately. If it starts to hesitate again I will try this app.