Droid Razr Maxx-ICS is horrible!!!!

azle

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well first off to customize the phone to your liking, adding Leaks ROMS and such. I definitely prefer the size; I know that is all about individual preference. I have found that while it seems the APPs are not as plentiful (so far only 3 weeks with the Razr) there are plenty and many more quality APPS are free and cheaper, The IPhone does not work in certain WEB applications that apple won’t support (can't remember I believe it is flash and some others), even my wife (apple owner) says she misses the smart actions. When you really dive into them you can literally control your device without touching it. Speed 3G vs. 4G there is a definite difference between the two I also do not like being held hostage by APPLE using only their systems. All in all it adds up to personal preferences. I for one would NEVER go back to IOS. For me it is about options I have more with the RAZR. Hope that is what you were looking for, I’m still learning and if it gets any better my head might explode JK. Don’t forget about the battery issue, my wife comes home and immediately plugs her phone in. also when you look at the Google/Motorola relationship I believe the upgrades are superior. While I was using the IPhone the update were fair at best, Take care.

Azle

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
let me try to break this down for everyone, maybe it will quell the willies some people have. rooting is just gaining access to the "root" of your phones files, allowing you to gain control of things that would otherwise be locked away. like the ability to backup each and every app you have, and the data associated with each app, take that backup and store it on your PC, in the cloud, or your external sd card. everything including your sms's! rooting also alows for battery saving features like being able to take control of your CPU, so instead of running at 1200MHz when your screen is off when you dont need high processor power, you can tell it to go no higher than 600 MHz!

the files to root are easy to download and free of use. you literally hit one button, and its done. to revert back to stock, you hit one button, and youre done.

Untitled-7.png

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a general understanding of the concept of rooting, as far as why people do it and what benefits it entails. My biggest holdup is I do not feel educated enough to attempt something that could brick my device. For example......I am a FIRM believer that you never get yourself involved in something until you understand it. I work at a Financial Institution, and I see so many frustrations that people have with 401(k)'s, IRA's, Line of Credit's, and other loan/savings products and services, and 90% of that frustration is because they don't understand what they signed up for, even with knowledgable people explaining it.

With rooting, I want SO bad to understand it and give it a shot, but I psych myself out when people talk about booting into recovery, backup services, flashing ROM's, etc...

Reactions: rjr1209

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I still can't find the text option when I click on a contact from my homepage. There are some quick icons there including phone, email, location, but no text like there used to be with GB. And the contact display box is about half the size of the screen so in order to see all of that particular contacts information you have to scroll within the box even though there is plenty of real estate left on my screen.

If you are using the "contact" widget, when you tap from the home screen, then tap on the smiley-face box, it does bring up the email addresses, but if you choose one, then you have a choice of email or text.

If you want to use the "direct message" widget, when you tap from the home screen it will bring up text messaging. (On mine, it shows a choice of Skype or Text msg since I have Skype installed.)

Maybe this helps a little. Good journey.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
i do also recommend installing safestrap. a whole other topic entirely, but the greatest concept ever put into action for those of us that like to "tweak" our phones ;)

I've always used bootstrap, is safe strap better for any reason? I used it once when flashing koa aokp and when I went to restore my backup I was stuck in a bootloop. I assumed it was because I was still in safe mode, because as soon as I turned system safe mode off it worked again.

I'll have to do some more reading on safe strap next time I go to flash some roms because it is way different

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow........I feel so smart now. I have had no problem finding my way around ICS. You just made my day! I had no idea it was so difficult to operate and figure out as it took me about 10 minutes on the first day and I pretty much had the hang of everything.

I always find your replies entertaining lol.

It's sad to see someone detest ICS so much, but that's life I suppose. Change is good. Change is progress. I would never choose to go back to GB because to me, it feels like such a vast downgrade now. But that's my personal belief and I'm sticking to it.

And BTW, I hope Jelly Bean comes to our phones, because friends, it is absolutely fantastic on this Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
And as far as rooting goes, the first device I've ever rooted was my RAZR Maxx. I was always intimidated by the process, but finally decided to tale the leap and give out a try.

I seriously don't think the process of rooting could have been made any easier thanks to utilities made by such people as mattlgroff. I may not understand everything 100%, but I've learned enough to figure out how to get myself out of a brick and how to bring myself to back to stock, which in my opinion is the most important part of learning about root. Always have an exit!

If anyone here ever decides to want to learn about rooting and ROMs and the like, there are plenty of people here that can help guide you through the processes such as myself, Braden, Anthony, and many more. You are not alone!

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
And as far as rooting goes, the first device I've ever rooted was my RAZR Maxx. I was always intimidated by the process, but finally decided to tale the leap and give out a try.

I seriously don't think the process of rooting could have been made any easier thanks to utilities made by such people as mattlgroff. I may not understand everything 100%, but I've learned enough to figure out how to get myself out of a brick and how to bring myself to back to stock, which in my opinion is the most important part of learning about root. Always have an exit!

If anyone here ever decides to want to learn about rooting and ROMs and the like, there are plenty of people here that can help guide you through the processes such as myself, Braden, Anthony, and many more. You are not alone!

I think it's great that you guys are so willing to help people. I've been curious about rooting but I don't know or understand exactly what I would gain. Are there magical apps after rooting or is it just the enhanced abilities like full app backups.

I may eventually try rooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people chose to root to gain free tethering, but I still use FoxFi which is free on non-rooted phones as well.

Others like to use custom ROMs. If you don't like the color scheme or want to see how your phone can act with performance tweeks, there is a good amount of custom ROMs made by very talented developers that can give you what you want. This is where the term "flashing" can pop up. Flashing basically means installing a zip from the External SD card from the Recovery mode.

There are other reasons to root, but for the sake of this thread, I might consider making a root thread in this forum. I'm afraid the thread has completely gone off course.

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If your using the favorites widget, when u tap on the contact and it comes up with their numbers and other options above that. To the right of their phone numbers is the text icon. Don't tap the number, tap the icon and it will take u to txt app

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DonaldDuck01.jpg

Ok here's a screen shot of my phone with a contact widget. You will see the red square that I added to illustrate where the Handcent icon used to be when I had Gingerbread. I see the text icons next to the other numbers but having that icon was very convenient. And besides, why the heck would I want a text symbol next to an Office number or a Fax number? This is the type of thing that makes me think that ICS wasn't thought out very well.

Also, You'll see the red arrow that I added showing how the Contact information box is too small and cuts off the rest of the info even though there is plenty of room on the display screen. Again, hate to keep bashing ICS but these problems didn't exist with GB.

Last edited:

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking whoever started this thread was drunk,and accidentally took the wrong phone home from the bar....its a beast with ics...in all maybe its his phone they r all different...

sent from my ics equipped REZOUND

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Ok here's a screen shot of my phone with a contact widget. You will see the red square that I added to illustrate where the Handcent icon used to be when I had Gingerbread. I see the text icons next to the other numbers but having that icon was very convenient. And besides, why the heck would I want a text symbol next to an Office number or a Fax number? This is the type of thing that makes me think that ICS wasn't thought out very well.

Also, You'll see the red arrow that I added showing how the Contact information box is too small and cuts off the rest of the info even though there is plenty of room on the display screen. Again, hate to keep bashing ICS but these problems didn't exist with GB.

Just hit the message button. It will ask you the default app to use.

And you realize you can scroll that box down right. Common sense.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

I really don't know what to say to that. I guess sorry for the inconvenience... as ridiculously miniscule as it is.

Have you tried making folders for direct messages/calls? They go straight to the one number you designate.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't ask you what default app to use then go to settings >apps >text messaging, and hit clear defaults. Then it will ask what app to use and just check use as default and hit Handcent. It works for every else it will work for you.

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If it doesn't ask you what default app to use then go to settings >apps >text messaging, and hit clear defaults. Then it will ask what app to use and just check use as default and hit Handcent. It works for every else it will work for you.

Thanks very much for attempting to help me. Unfortunately it did not work and the icon is still missing. In fact I could not even locate the clear defaults option anywhere.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much for attempting to help me. Unfortunately it did not work and the icon is still missing. In fact I could not even locate the clear defaults option anywhere.

Did you happen to look? I've noticed a theme here...... You have an issue, people tell you how to fix it, and you just say you couldn't. I don't think you want solutions, i think you just want to bash ICS. I've simulated each suggestion on my Maxx that I've read here, and it's all been so easy.

There's no way your phone just doesn't have "clear defaults". It's under settings>apps>all apps>text messaging. Then its toward the bottom. Help us to help you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums