Ice Cream Sandwich killed my battery life...

TonyIyoob

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
i completely agree, my battery was insane with 2.36, i could go 3 days w/o charge, after ics, i am lucky to make it all day, without charging, now i find myself watching battery life, i only got 8 hours yesterday

i hate ics, anyone know how to get back 2.36?

thx

smithjd001

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem...sometimes an app causes the phone to go into a high-power-consumption mode (like automatic time zone settings could do in GB). Solution is to do a factory reset. Of course, you will have to reinstall all your apps, and if you have encryption enabled for your sd-ext card, COPY YOUR DATA TO A COMPUTER BEFORE DOING THE RESET!!! If not, kiss your data good-bye (I learned that one the hard way).

Hope this helps

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
But then what else could we possibly discuss on here?!!?! :confused:

th_WZGb5.gif

money4me247

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely a bug in the Verizon/Motorola version of Ice Cream Sandwich. I have a Droid 4 and my battery life went from 15-20+hours on Gingerbread to legit 6 hours on Ice Cream Sandwich. Now that is just completely ridiculous and I think the only solution is for everyone experiencing such a sharp drop in battery life to complain to Verizon/Motorola.

And for the idiot who is "tired of reading posts about drop in battery life" LOL... don't click on a thread with this kind of title. Legit it is clowns like you who prevent us from getting fixes on our device. I mean come on, let's be real... a ONE THIRD drop in battery life? That is a legit big deal and it isn't about not wanting to charge at night. It is about an update with a real bug in it, and some people actually care about having this fixed. Damn, I hate people who just post on threads saying they don't like the topic. Whatta joke.

money4me247

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Not to be rude, but I kinda get frustrated at all these battery threads that we've been seeing on here, simply because we don't want to "have" to plug in the phone at night while we sleep. I mean if someone's complaint is honestly that they don't like having to do that, I have nothing I can suggest to help. Except to prioritize what is actually important in life.

What's important in life is to stop wasting your time coming on threads to hate on the thread topic. If you pay $200 for a phone, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that software updates do not kill the manufacturer stated battery life by 66%. Legit get a life & stop being sucha goon.

money4me247

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I think I found the battery drainer using the app: Gsam Battery Monitor. For me, I think it is the "Exchange Services" for the Exchange e-mail accounts. It kept my phone awake almost an hour & trigger wakelocks almost 700 times. According to my research, the problem may be fixed by removing your exchange account, clearing the data & force closing the Exchange Services app, and then rea-dding your account. Otherwise, a factory reset seems to solve some people's problems, but factory resets are such a pain.

More info here: Sprint Community: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Hope this helps some of you guys. I'm trying to fix the issue now to see if it works.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What's important in life is to stop wasting your time coming on threads to hate on the thread topic. If you pay $200 for a phone, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that software updates do not kill the manufacturer stated battery life by 66%. Legit get a life & stop being sucha goon.

Maybe you should read the whole thread and my other responses? My point is, when you complain about something that's already been solved (in at least three other recent threads), it appears like you don't want a solution, you just want to whine.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

Reactions: carracerz14

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
money4me247: 3 posts, and already picking a fight? Come on, let's keep Android Central civil and fun to hang around in. LegalAmerican did in fact apologize for his earlier post, and everyone else has been cool about it. For the record, there are a lot of threads about battery life, and as far as forum etiquette goes, it can be frustrating to see questions in posts that have been addressed several times elsewhere.

Reactions: carracerz14

money4me247

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
money4me247: 3 posts, and already picking a fight? Come on, let's keep Android Central civil and fun to hang around in. LegalAmerican did in fact apologize for his earlier post, and everyone else has been cool about it. For the record, there are a lot of threads about battery life, and as far as forum etiquette goes, it can be frustrating to see questions in posts that have been addressed several times elsewhere.

Yes, the only reason I made an account was because I wanted to reply to Legal American specifically. What I really do not understand are people who respond to a thread dismissing the actual TOPIC of the thread. If you did not want to read about ICS battery issues, why in the world would you open a thread about it? I am sorry if LegalAmerican is offended, but that seems like pretty common sense to me. If you don't like a topic, just don't open the thread & don't waste time commenting on it. There are thousands of posts on the internet about Kim Kardashian, but you don't see me going to each article & complaining.

money4me247

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you should read the whole thread and my other responses? My point is, when you complain about something that's already been solved (in at least three other recent threads), it appears like you don't want a solution, you just want to whine.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

I did read the whole thread, and no, I did not see anyone provide an answer for the battery drain problem. If this specific issue of ICS draining battery life has been addressed & answered somewhere else, then I would really appreciate if someone could either just repeat the answer or provided a link to the solution in this thread. I have searched these forums & googled this issue, but no I have not found a fix for the specific problem that I am experiencing.

SO yes, I would very much appreciate a solution or a link to these other threads.

In terms of switching between 3G & 4G & data off, I would recommend this really great app called Llama that can trigger switches between mobile data states and wifi automatically after user-customizable conditions are met. Llama can also automate a lot of other battery saving actions and it is 100% free, so it is definitely a good power app to check out. The difference in battery life with 3G & 4G simply depends on your 4G coverage & signal strength of the area. If you have weak 4G coverage, then 4G will drain a lot more battery life, but there shouldn't be a drop in battery life after upgrading to ICS.

However, if there is a bug with let's say "Exchange Services" in the new ICS keeping your device from going into deep sleep, it doesn't matter if you are 3G/4G/Wifi... you are going to lose a lot of battery life. From my experience prior to the ICS update, I could get 15-20 hours using Wifi. Now, I am down to 6-8 hours regardless of whether I have Wifi (with data off), 3G, or 4G enabled. After disabling "Exchange Services," my battery life increased to 10 hours. I am now currently trying to find the other battery drainers that activate wakelocks & prevent my device from going into deep sleep to increase my battery life back up to 15-20 hours.

So, if you think that LTE On/Off is the "solution" to increased battery drain after upgrading software..... then, I really don't know what to tell you.....

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew why so many people are having battery problems. My phone has been off the charger for 16 hours with only 15 minutes of voice calls. But my screen time is over 5 hours and I still have 45% battery. I spent a lot of time on YouTube and SiriusXM today but it was mostly on Wi-Fi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I did read the whole thread, and no, I did not see anyone provide an answer for the battery drain problem. If this specific issue of ICS draining battery life has been addressed & answered somewhere else, then I would really appreciate if someone could either just repeat the answer or provided a link to the solution in this thread. I have searched these forums & googled this issue, but no I have not found a fix for the specific problem that I am experiencing.

SO yes, I would very much appreciate a solution or a link to these other threads.

In terms of switching between 3G & 4G & data off, I would recommend this really great app called Llama that can trigger switches between mobile data states and wifi automatically after user-customizable conditions are met. Llama can also automate a lot of other battery saving actions and it is 100% free, so it is definitely a good power app to check out. The difference in battery life with 3G & 4G simply depends on your 4G coverage & signal strength of the area. If you have weak 4G coverage, then 4G will drain a lot more battery life, but there shouldn't be a drop in battery life after upgrading to ICS.

However, if there is a bug with let's say "Exchange Services" in the new ICS keeping your device from going into deep sleep, it doesn't matter if you are 3G/4G/Wifi... you are going to lose a lot of battery life. From my experience prior to the ICS update, I could get 15-20 hours using Wifi. Now, I am down to 6-8 hours regardless of whether I have Wifi (with data off), 3G, or 4G enabled. After disabling "Exchange Services," my battery life increased to 10 hours. I am now currently trying to find the other battery drainers that activate wakelocks & prevent my device from going into deep sleep to increase my battery life back up to 15-20 hours.

So, if you think that LTE On/Off is the "solution" to increased battery drain after upgrading software..... then, I really don't know what to tell you.....

The reason you didn't see the solution (I will say it...yet again..) is because there are 3 OTHER threads where solutions are given already. People get tired of doing the same work for the same people who refuse to do anything for themselves.

Also, isn't me clicking on a thread to respond to something I don't like..similar to you CREATING an acct to comment on something YOU don't like? So I think you understand my frustration and annoyance or you wouldn't have taken the time to create an acct and then comment to try to stir up shiz. Go away, or contribute something to the forum community. If you don't think i've contributed, take a look at my "thanks" and "likes".

Go look up the definition of hypocrite, and then be more cautious when you try to call people out for something you yourself are doing.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Everyone indeed has a choice on whether or not they are going to post in a thread. If a topic irks you or you find yourself frustrated by a repetitive topic, your response should be to not respond at all. Someone landing on this thread via a Google search (which is exactly how a lot of people end up here) will find some great information. However they also have to read through a bunch of bickering and personal attacks too.

Also, the telling people to search thing is a pet peeve of mine. In all the years I've been in forums, those words, at best, have only discouraged members from participating.

Search Before Posting - Often times questions and/or topics have already been discussed in an existing thread. Before posting a new thread, please use the search feature to research your question. While we welcome members who are new to the world of Android, it can become monotonous for the community to continue answering the same questions repeatedly.

Telling someone to "Search" - Do not reply to a question by telling someone to do a search. Either kindly point them in the right direction, answer their question, or feel free not to respond.

The debate ends here, as do the personal attacks. PM me If you have further questions.

Reactions: B. Diddy

ssmesq

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Verizon Droid 4. Battery life was several days before ICS, now it is less than 24 hours. I can charge my phone all day at work, go home, it uses a Timer Feature to sleep during the night, and the next morning the battery is dead as a doornail. I can charge it all night, go to work, and not have battery at all by 8 PM. This phone is only 6 months old, and I can't even depend on it from morning until night.

Riverrite

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jeff I feel your pain, I just upgraded my Galaxy S II to the new ICS OS and nothing is different that I can see AND I have one less App running than before and my batt life is at 50% by 2 in the afternoon if I do almost nothing at all. I charge all night too. My batt used to last most of the day and I even had an App connected to my work running that was a definite drain on the battery. I removed that App and I still get 1/2 the life I got before the upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar