RAZR Maxx HD - Whos jumping to it?!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, the regular RAZR got a battery boost...I was seriously hoping for a 3500+ battery.

Is up to 32 hours of mixed use time seriously not enough? If you make the battery bigger with the mainstream battery tech we have today, it would make the phone bulkier and heavier.

Reactions: Ry

Grim Razr

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Will be buying retail to keep unlimited. i know the specs are not revolutionary but just to have a device with that battery is enough.

I agree. when i found out i would lose my unlimited data i swore to buy retail until i die to keep it. Plus i will be streaming 24hrs a day. my goal is 100 gigs next month.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with my GS3, but I would have been tempted to buy this if it came out earlier this year, like June. I'm buying all my phones full retail as well, to keep my unlimited data. In my opinion, the advantages the Razr Maxx HD would have over the GS3 are the dedicated hdmi port, Motorola's radios (even though the GS3 has good radios), the stock 3300 mah battery, and the near-Nexus skin. It's a worthy competitor indeed, and it might be upgraded to Jellybean before the GS3 :p

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd seriously, seriously consider it if it looked a bit cooler/sleeker.

Oh and re: screen tech, sure, it looks great, and yes, my GN has a blotch that's hard to ignore in pitch black darkness, but I would prefer One X type tech.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. when i found out i would lose my unlimited data i swore to buy retail until i die to keep it. Plus i will be streaming 24hrs a day. my goal is 100 gigs next month.

Sounds like me except not that high. My goal is 25GB. I hit 17GB last month from netflix and slacker.

I probably won't be upgrading, not enough for me to upgrade. I love my Maxx now. And I know I'll be buying retail so I don't lose unlimited. I travel too much and use netflix and slacker too much to lose it. Hotel Wifi is just unstable and slow.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!!

Motorola clearly is capable of better, as shown with the Atrix HD and it's gorgeous display.

I can see the AMOLED matrix from arms length. Unacceptable. Also, you'd think with the screen blotch issue, they'd cut ties with Samsung.

Also, the regular RAZR got a battery boost...I was seriously hoping for a 3500+ battery. Also, why come out with phone at speed as the other big guys...and ICS!?!?!

"Leapfrog" should be tossed around once and a while...

I've put up with substandard screens to have superior connectivity...getting annoyed now.

HTC IPS-LCD > *

The next Nexus device better not be made by Samsung...and it better not be AMOLED!

HTC makes LCD panels now?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Super AMOLED is beautiful. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Beauty is, AMOLED technology isn't:

galaxy-s-iii-microscope-nexus.jpg

YUK.

Who makes the One X screen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
No idea who makes em, but they are beautiful. Unlike AMOLED.

omie19

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
glad i have the buy back program from best buy. i dont have an upgrade available (i dont wanna lose my unlimited data also) anyways but i will be jumping to the new version when it comes out.and not pay full retail for it.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
glad i have the buy back program from best buy. i dont have an upgrade available (i dont wanna lose my unlimited data also) anyways but i will be jumping to the new version when it comes out.and not pay full retail for it.
How will you not. Isn't the buy back paying you for your phone, then you pay full price for the new one?

A MAXX on Craiglslist is ~$300, whats Best Buy giving you?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Beauty is, AMOLED technology isn't:

Click to view quoted image

YUK.

No idea who makes em, but they are beautiful. Unlike AMOLED.

What's the magnification on those shots? It just seems to me that the marked difference between screens is only when you hold the screen right up to your eyeball. My old geezer eyes (ok, I'm just 42) are starting to have some difficulty focusing on things up close anyway, so the benefits are somewhat lost on me ...

Reactions: Ry

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
What's the magnification on those shots? It just seems to me that the marked difference between screens is only when you hold the screen right up to your eyeball. My old geezer eyes (ok, I'm just 42) are starting to have some difficulty focusing on things up close anyway, so the benefits are somewhat lost on me ...
You know how a dead pixel sort of stands out at you? AMOLED is that way to me. I can see 'general grainyness' easily at arms length on the Galaxy S3. SLCD is simply a more accurate, higher clarity choice for phone displays.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't care. But for how easily I notice it, I can't imagine no one else does. If you can A-B compare a S3 (AMOLED) & One X/EVO LTE (SLCD) and say that the One X/EVO LTE doesn't look considerably clearer, I'd be very surprised.

SLCD is simply better than AMOLED, and to choose an inferior display is disappointing.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You know how a dead pixel sort of stands out at you? AMOLED is that way to me. I can see 'general grainyness' easily at arms length on the Galaxy S3. SLCD is simply a more accurate, higher clarity choice for phone displays.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't care. But for how easily I notice it, I can't imagine no one else does. If you can A-B compare a S3 (AMOLED) & One X/EVO LTE (SLCD) and say that the One X/EVO LTE doesn't look considerably clearer, I'd be very surprised.

SLCD is simply better than AMOLED, and to choose an inferior display is disappointing.

I admit other displays are better but AMOLED looks fine and I'm extremely picky. I don't care what my screen looks like if the battery isn't powerful enough to power the device on all day on its initial charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I understand, but fortunately it doesn't bother me. I kind of feel bad for you--it's almost a curse to notice it so readily, and not be satisfied unless it's almost perfect. I imagine it's like someone who has perfect pitch listening to a singing group that's just a little out of tune. Anyway, I imagine that the complexities of why a company chooses one component over another is so multifactorial and convoluted that the final decision is more than just, "Well heck, let's just pick the inferior one." Economics must be a big factor, because Moto is not the big dog--that's Samsung.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If you build a quality device with quality components, people will pay for it. Look at the iPhone. It's a premium product at a premium price. The RAZR is supposed to be a premium product.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the razr HD is what the OG razr should have been. If I was on Verizon and had an upgrade it would probably be between the razr HD, or note 2 if it came to Verizon or any new nexus device announced before the HD drops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not arguing with you--I understand that you feel that the AMOLED screens are inferior, but I think you're in the fairly small minority of people who see this as a significant problem, because you're the visual analog of someone with perfect pitch. Personally, I think the Maxx is a premium product the way it is. When I look at the iPhone, I see a premium product as well, but one that is also overblown with hype and blind allegiance. When I see how small my wife's iPhone 4S's screen is compared to the Maxx's, I just don't see the advantage of the retina display.

But really, your point is well taken. Hopefully, Moto will thrive under Google and develop the resources to make future phones with the absolute best components.

Reactions: LegalAmerican

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc