Maxx vs SGIII

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I was so tempted to go with the SIII, but ran away when I realized what I had. The SIII is an awesome phone for sure. But, I'm so glad I stayed with my Maxx. It's at 50% now and been off the charger since YESTERDAY at 8 am. That's amazing. And the display is incredible for me.
I think it's just about a perfect phone.
It's the freedom of knowing you don't have to stay near a charger all of the time to enjoy your phone.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Even if you are at a desk, the days you aren't near a charger suck. Watching the battery dwindle and you eventually cant use the phone blows.

Maxx > GS3

In a lot of ways I agree. But so far, I've been glad I switched to S3. Usually (not always) if I'm not by a charger, I am probably too busy to do much on my phone anyway. So it lasts all day. Just like anything else, you have to be mature enough to see pros and cons and then make the decision based on your needs.

Maxx = GS3

Sent from my Galaxy S3

NinerJet9

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same position looking at the GS3, GN, and Maxx. They're all awesome phones imo but the freedom from the extended battery life trumped all. I use my phone at will w/o hesitation knowing i can get through the day.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
In a brief laps in judgement, I got a Galaxy Nexus and the poor signal was immediately apparent. This marks the third Samsung Android phone I've personally tried, all have had terrible signal.

Samsung no more.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
this is all very good information about the razr maxx and the S3. I don't upgrade until july 2013, but I am doing my research now. by the time I can upgrade the razr hd and razr maxx hd will have been out for at least six months, and should be a bit lower in price, as I'm ALWAYS searching for a bargain. I don't necessarily need the newest and biggest phone out there, but the Razr maxx hd looks pretty sweet to me at this point. I'm sure the proof will be in the pudding when the reviews hit the internet. if I were available for an upgrade now, I'd probably go with the Razr maxx. battery life is probably one of my biggest gripes, and I have the biggest battery mizer going. luckily, I'm always near a charger at my desk, home or car.

if anyone can testify to the battery life of the S3, I would appreciate it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
this is all very good information about the razr maxx and the S3. I don't upgrade until july 2013, but I am doing my research now. by the time I can upgrade the razr hd and razr maxx hd will have been out for at least six months, and should be a bit lower in price, as I'm ALWAYS searching for a bargain. I don't necessarily need the newest and biggest phone out there, but the Razr maxx hd looks pretty sweet to me at this point. I'm sure the proof will be in the pudding when the reviews hit the internet. if I were available for an upgrade now, I'd probably go with the Razr maxx. battery life is probably one of my biggest gripes, and I have the biggest battery mizer going. luckily, I'm always near a charger at my desk, home or car.

if anyone can testify to the battery life of the S3, I would appreciate it.
The battery life on the S3 is not as long as it is on the Maxx. For me, the difference in battery life is not significan enough for me to not purchase or use the S3. There are two things that I like about the S3 better than the Maxx, the first is the size of the screen, the second being the screen itself. It is far better than the Maxx's screen.

As for the build quality and signal strength. It has been better for me than the Maxx's.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
ok today im at 14 hours on my s3 . ive used two and a half hours of screen at maxx brightness . 2hr38min of talk time. 20 min of gps. and 1hr11min of music via bluetooth to my car stero . all calls where handled via BT . im sitting at 21% battery as i type this. the only thing i have done is activated the power save feature on the device . i wanted to try it out for a full day to see if it helps . from what i can see it does actually help improve battery life not drastically mind you but it does help. and I cant tell any difference in the way the phone operates so its a win win to me . I came from a razr maxx and it was a decent phone but i dont miss it .

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on the S3 is not as long as it is on the Maxx. For me, the difference in battery life is not significan enough for me to not purchase or use the S3. There are two things that I like about the S3 better than the Maxx, the first is the size of the screen, the second being the screen itself. It is far better than the Maxx's screen.

As for the build quality and signal strength. It has been better for me than the Maxx's.

thanks for that info, but like i said, I don't need the newest or biggest handset out there. I've held the S3 in my hand (without that stupid harness in VZW stores) and it seems almost too light. being a Tbolt owner, I'm quite used to a bit more heft, and I'm guessing the Razr hd or Razr maxx hd with have that, plus a bit larger screen than i have now. IMO, 4.7 screen size is just about perfect. in July 2013, I'm sure both new Razr phones will still be quite relevant, or at least in my tight price range.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In a brief laps in judgement, I got a Galaxy Nexus and the poor signal was immediately apparent. This marks the third Samsung Android phone I've personally tried, all have had terrible signal.

Samsung no more.

Did you drop a lot of calls on the Nexus?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
9h 43m on my S3 battery I am at 71% Battery. Screen on auto brightness and Screen On time at only 12 minutes. However, when it has been on i've been updating apps and I am in a fringe area for 4G so it is transitioning often from 4G to 3G. I've sent a few texts, downloaded a document for one of my classes, read it in Polaris Office.

So Obviously the Maxx battery DOMINATES the S3 and every other phone out there. So if Battery is your big pet peeve, definitely get the Maxx. But I personally think the S3 is funner to own and play around with than my Maxx was. So if tinkering is your thing, get the S3.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Maxx has an awesome battery, unfortunately, that isn't enough for me. That is also where the positives end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
17 hours yesterday and went to bed and still had 20% of my battery left. I am simply AMAZED. My wife went through 3 batteries on her Galaxy Nexus during that time. I am getting the HD Maxx on Thursday and she is taking my Razr Maxx. Battery life is not everything but it is something!!!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
9h 43m on my S3 battery I am at 71% Battery. Screen on auto brightness and Screen On time at only 12 minutes. However, when it has been on i've been updating apps and I am in a fringe area for 4G so it is transitioning often from 4G to 3G. I've sent a few texts, downloaded a document for one of my classes, read it in Polaris Office.

So Obviously the Maxx battery DOMINATES the S3 and every other phone out there. So if Battery is your big pet peeve, definitely get the Maxx. But I personally think the S3 is funner to own and play around with than my Maxx was. So if tinkering is your thing, get the S3.

Think about it, get the Maxx HD....

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, while I'm sure other phones are more fun there is little to no point if it dies half way throughout the day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When I owned the Maxx I argued this point fervently. I agreed completely and always said that it's useless to have cool features if your battery can't keep the device on to enjoy them. But now that I have the S3, battery isn't NEAR as big an issue as I remembered it being on my Bionic. If you spend a lot of the day working or in school or meetings, your S3 will EASILY last you all day, and you'll have plenty left after work to check forums, social networking, emails, internet browsing, etc until you're ready to crash for the night. Not once since I switched to my S3 have I not made it through the day. Even when it was brand new and I was tinkering with it, I still made it to the end. You have to remember that the processors now are more efficient and use far less power. My Bionic battery was AWFUL and this one is far better.

I know the Maxx battery is absolutely amazing. And if you are going to be doing a ton of stuff on your phone for work, GET THE MAXX. But if you spend a lot of time at a desk or in a car, there really is zero reason to get the Maxx. Not that it isn't a great phone, but if battery isn't an issue there's simply better options out there now (There wasn't when it was released).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
16 hours of heavy use and down to 30% battery. I can not get over how nice it is not to have to worry about running out of battery. I disagree about if you are at a desk or in your car that it does not matter. It is when you are not the the frustration will hit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i came from a maxx to the s3 and was worried about battery life but after using the s3 for a couple months its just not a issue . until you try the s3 its hard to imagine that the battery life could be acceptable compared to the maxx but it is .

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I had to chime back in on this one. I have a buddy at work who got the SIII and it IS THE BOMB...Amazing piece of phone. It is, without a doubt, the FASTEST friggin phone I've ever seen AND the screen is amazing. Good job.
Now....
it's plasticy cheap feeling ( normally, I don't notice that stuff, but this one really is enough for me to notice) it's almost deceiving..like you've picked up a toy.
It's battery is not even comparable to our Maxx.
But, she looks good! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol