Maxx vs SGIII

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So, my son needs a phone with a really good battery, but doesn't want to have the same as mine. (Only the parent of a teen could get this)
It'll be his first smartphone.
I 'might' end up giving him my beloved Maxx and getting this Galaxy SIII.
What's your thoughts here on the difference between the two?
It might be good to try out a new toy.

*I quietly hold the option to embarrass him and get him a Maxx just like mine. :)

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The only thing you will probably miss is the long battery life. I would go for it and get the gs3 if I were you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Go for the sg3..I'm sure being a teen he'll need the battery life.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I know the Max has good battery life but in all honesty the s3 isn't bad. I usually get 12 to 15 of heavy use

Sent from skynet..... I mean my S3

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
He says he doesn't want same but he won't really care in the end...keep your MAXX and get him one also...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I know the Max has good battery life but in all honesty the s3 isn't bad. I usually get 12 to 15 of heavy use

Sent from skynet..... I mean my S3
Do you run some app management app? Or keep your screen down or whatever? Maxx does so good on battery, I just run everything wide open all day and never pay attention or think about the possibility of a battery drain. And just put it back on the charger at night.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Decided to stick with my Maxx and get him the S3..he'll just have to adjust to the battery useage. :)
I can't part with the freedom of KNOWING I can run that puppy all day wide open and not have to ever worry about battery useage. And, I like my Kevlar back and water resistant screen. And, it just feels better, more sturdy.
The SIII is a GREAT phone.
But, it feels sorta plasticky...weak. I dunno. Maxx is solid, but not heavy.
Great review of the two side by side: Samsung Galaxy S III vs Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX - YouTube

evoldroid

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I went through this also should i get the Slll or Maxx.Ended up With the Maxx.For one the battery alone IMO beats any feature a phone may have.I have always been a Samsung man.......This time i tried something different.The quality build Motorola put in there devices is really nice.Top notch reception also is a plus.So i went with the Maxx and I'm very happy no more walking around with a spare battery.My only gripe is the ics software.Hopefully a update will come our better yet jellybean...........Come on Google now !!!!!!

Remember phone first gadget second.It has to perform as a phone first......Signal, battery life, quality of device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Decided to stick with my Maxx and get him the S3..he'll just have to adjust to the battery useage. :)
I can't part with the freedom of KNOWING I can run that puppy all day wide open and not have to ever worry about battery useage. And, I like my Kevlar back and water resistant screen. And, it just feels better, more sturdy.
The SIII is a GREAT phone.
But, it feels sorta plasticky...weak. I dunno. Maxx is solid, but not heavy.
Great review of the two side by side: Samsung Galaxy S III vs Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX - YouTube

I have both phones. The gs3 has the better processor for sure. it is more peppy than the razr maxx. most noticably when using both phones for a while, the razr maxx lags a little bit sometimes, the gs3 runs much smoother. the display on the razr maxx is really lacking, and pales compared to my rezound which came out a few months prior. I think those are the two major weaknesses of the razr maxx. display size is personal preference, but obviously the larger, the easier to read. the advantages imo of the razr maxx is that it has smart actions and can be used with a $50 lapdock bo make it an android laptop or used with a $40 premium dock with an external keyboard and mouse and monitor for an android computer setup.

With regard to the video, the reviewer mentioned that the razr maxx has a OPAM processor. this is incorrect, it has an OMAP processor. He also mentioned that the razr maxx has a 3300ma battery, it is a 3300mah. ma is not the same as mah. with regard to the screen brightness, having used both in direct sunlight, i find that my razr maxx is much brighter and easier to read in direct sunlight. finally, the battery life on my razr maxx is better than my gs3, but probably 25-30% so, not about 50% as the increase in mah would suggest.

Finally, my suggestion would be that at this time, I would wait to see the upcoming phones. if battery life is an issue, the razr maxx hd is coming out soon and is running the same processor as the gs3. The HTC 5" quad core 1080 display is coming out soon as well. IMO, if i had to choose a phone in the next few months, those are the two that i would consider. the gn2 may come to verizon, so if you want a large phone, then that is another option.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I think for me it came down to freedom;
Free to do whatever I want and not have to worry about battery.
That's great.
And as I said, I surely think for processing power, etc, yes, the GSIII is a better phone.
But I held it yesterday and although it is a better phone, I noticed it just felt cheap. Like if I drop it once, it'll break.
Looks good but feels fragile; like it's high maintenance. :)
also, I got the phone setup just like I want it.
I don't wanna start all over.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been considering the sgIII as well. How are the radios on it? Are they as bad as on the galaxy nexus? I tried it and the difference was HUGE between the two. At least at my house and 4g service

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My gs3 radio is pretty close to my razr maxx. In fact, sometimes my gs3 has better connectivity than my razr maxx. Although, my gs3 is running the original radio, the updated radio is supposedly not as good.
I have been considering the sgIII as well. How are the radios on it? Are they as bad as on the galaxy nexus? I tried it and the difference was HUGE between the two. At least at my house and 4g service

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was given the choice of a Maxx or an S3 to replace my Gnex. I chose the Maxx without hesitation.

Samsung has left a bad taste with me after having the Nexus since launch day. I t simply wouldn't hold a 4G signal. Constant data drops required me to leave it on CDMA. Being in Philly, a blanked LTE area, that sucked.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Go for the sg3..I'm sure being a teen he'll need the battery life.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

I'm posting this rolling down I40 on the bandbus with my son and 30 other stinky but good boys. Lol.
He got the Maxx just like mine and he loves it. I unplugged from my blue tooth tunes for a second to overhear him telling another boy about how we've been gone since 8 this am and is 1130 at night and he still has 50% battery left. And now he's showing off and streaming Netflix rolling down the interstate.
Again, dad knew best because like I tell him....
I was born first.
:)

Sent from Marx Maxx

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever get a Samsung again. I gave them 3 tries with a Nexus S, Galaxy S2 and a Galaxy Nexus. All of them exhibited a weak radio signal & speakerphone issues.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Daughter is looking for new phone, S3 is nice (wife and son have one) but for her I suggested the Maxx (like I have) simply because of all the features, the one she'll get the most value from is the longer battery life. I think it will also hold up better then the s3 with the rough life she'll give it :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Daughter is looking for new phone, S3 is nice (wife and son have one) but for her I suggested the Maxx (like I have) simply because of all the features, the one she'll get the most value from is the longer battery life. I think it will also hold up better then the s3 with the rough life she'll give it :p

At this time, i would suggest waiting for the razr hd maxx. i suspect that it would have better battery life than the current razr maxx.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought the S3 last week after selling my Maxx. I LOVED the Maxx but I am very happy with the S3. I get better signal with my S3 than I did my Maxx and the display is incredible to me. The battery life is definitely a huge factor in buying/keeping the Maxx. I still believe that it doesn't matter what your phone can do and how great the display is, if you don't have a battery to keep it on. I still am VERY happy with my decision, but if you are not around a desk all day to keep your phone charged, then get the Maxx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08