Smartphone Batteries....is it even a competition?

Jonster1220

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just started out doing mobile programming in a corporate environment. I got to see how everyone utilizes their phones and what not. I know very few people who actually own the Razr Maxx, but these people need to seriously rethink their phone choices. The dominate phones I see are iPhone, galaxy S3, and nexus. About 80% of them complain about low battery and having to charge their phone 2 maybe 3 times a day. They don't even utilize all the nifty features on their phone that makes it unique....so what's the point of buying it?!

I charge my phone once at night, and sometimes I don't even have to. I use my phone regularly with browsing, few videos, email, and pandora.

Is there even a smartphone from now or even in 2013 that will be even close to the battery life of the current maxx or HD maxx?

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I just started out doing mobile programming in a corporate environment. I got to see how everyone utilizes their phones and what not. I know very few people who actually own the Razr Maxx, but these people need to seriously rethink their phone choices. The dominate phones I see are iPhone, galaxy S3, and nexus. About 80% of them complain about low battery and having to charge their phone 2 maybe 3 times a day. They don't even utilize all the nifty features on their phone that makes it unique....so what's the point of buying it?!

I charge my phone once at night, and sometimes I don't even have to. I use my phone regularly with browsing, few videos, email, and pandora.

Is there even a smartphone from now or even in 2013 that will be even close to the battery life of the current maxx or HD maxx?

IMO.... No! Unless someone is willing to carry around those huge after market monstrosities... like the one on the thunderbolt....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
According to engadget " On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx."
iPhone 5 review - Engadget

Jonster1220

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
That is pretty impressive. I guess the iPhone users don't manage their phones as well then. Most still have issues and I'm sure iOS6 new features won't be battery friendly.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is pretty impressive. I guess the iPhone users don't manage their phones as well then. Most still have issues and I'm sure iOS6 new features won't be battery friendly.

That is the thing with these tests. They are done in controlled environments. Once one thing changes, it can change everything. It is just like saying that a car gets 30mpg highway. If you are in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, there is no way you are getting 30mpg on that car.

I didn't read thoroughly about the test, but from what it sounded like, they played a video with syncs in the background. That isn't really a real world test, as i am assuming that people at your office isn't watching videos all day (I hope?). Also, the signal could play a huge factor on battery life. If your building is in a marginal signal area, then it would make a huge difference. Sometimes, if you are in a big building, parts of the building would get good signal, others won't. Particularly LTE is very finicky about signal, there are areas where 3G is fine, but 4G won't work, or is spotty. If you notice 4G switching to 3G occasionally, then chances are you are not in a strong 4G area, and you may get better signal from 3G. If your office provides wifi, then mobile data would not be an issue.

Also, display types will vary, some types use less power when all (or mostly ) black

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That is the thing with these tests. They are done in controlled environments. Once one thing changes, it can change everything. It is just like saying that a car gets 30mpg highway. If you are in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, there is no way you are getting 30mpg on that car.

I didn't read thoroughly about the test, but from what it sounded like, they played a video with syncs in the background. That isn't really a real world test, as i am assuming that people at your office isn't watching videos all day (I hope?). Also, the signal could play a huge factor on battery life. If your building is in a marginal signal area, then it would make a huge difference. Sometimes, if you are in a big building, parts of the building would get good signal, others won't. Particularly LTE is very finicky about signal, there are areas where 3G is fine, but 4G won't work, or is spotty. If you notice 4G switching to 3G occasionally, then chances are you are not in a strong 4G area, and you may get better signal from 3G. If your office provides wifi, then mobile data would not be an issue.

Also, display types will vary, some types use less power when all (or mostly ) black

Right, but they're using the numbers from the same test done on the Razr Maxx, so it's fair. Taking the fanboy glasses off for a second, iPhones have absolutely incredible battery life compared to Android phones, and I wish that could change. Most of the people I hear complaining about bad batteries on iPhones are people who aren't very techy and don't understand that they need to charge nightly, and on day 2 they're mad that the battery dies at 5 PM.

While I prefer the openness of Android, I sometimes envy the fact that Apple won't put out what they consider an unusable real-world product, and I wish at least one Android manufacturer would pick up this mantra.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to engadget " On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx."
iPhone 5 review - Engadget

Quite impressive.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, but they're using the numbers from the same test done on the Razr Maxx, so it's fair. Taking the fanboy glasses off for a second, iPhones have absolutely incredible battery life compared to Android phones, and I wish that could change. Most of the people I hear complaining about bad batteries on iPhones are people who aren't very techy and don't understand that they need to charge nightly, and on day 2 they're mad that the battery dies at 5 PM.

While I prefer the openness of Android, I sometimes envy the fact that Apple won't put out what they consider an unusable real-world product, and I wish at least one Android manufacturer would pick up this mantra.

My point was that the test was not a real world test - using internet, e-mail, etc. Those items may drain batteries faster than simply watching a movie (and perhaps much faster on the Maxx or on the iPhone. For example, in real world, perhaps the iPhone gets 7 hours, Maxx gets 9 hours (or vice versa). These things are hard to judge because there are so many factors involved in battery life.

With that said, I agree with everything else, the iPhone battery life is exceptional and although the iPhone is bland (to me), they also make it hard to mess up. On android, you can install some apps that really mess up battery life. On the iPhone, if such an app exists, Apple will pull it.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone isn't going to get anywhere near that battery life during actual use. I say no more than 8 hours. Plus that was on wifi, why don't they try using just lte and see how fast the battery dies, where as I don't even have to think about charging my phone

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

richard@framingham

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Razr Maxx with Atrix lapdock

Hi,

Not a comment about battery life, but about using the Razr Maxx with the Atrix lapdock. I use two cables and can see a webtop screen on the lapdock, but cannot see a cursor, even with a mouse plugged into the lapdock's USB port. Is there some secret to getting the lapdock to fully recognize and communicate with the Maxx?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Rpgoodkin@rcn.com

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Razr Maxx with Atrix lapdock

Hi,

Not a comment about battery life, but about using the Razr Maxx with the Atrix lapdock. I use two cables and can see a webtop screen on the lapdock, but cannot see a cursor, even with a mouse plugged into the lapdock's USB port. Is there some secret to getting the lapdock to fully recognize and communicate with the Maxx?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Rpgoodkin@rcn.com

I'd suggest posting your question as a separate thread if you want a decent chance at answers. People think this thread is only about Razr Maxx battery life.

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I'd say the new Apple Maps is an unusable real-world product.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My point was that the test was not a real world test - using internet, e-mail, etc. Those items may drain batteries faster than simply watching a movie (and perhaps much faster on the Maxx or on the iPhone. For example, in real world, perhaps the iPhone gets 7 hours, Maxx gets 9 hours (or vice versa). These things are hard to judge because there are so many factors involved in battery life.

With that said, I agree with everything else, the iPhone battery life is exceptional and although the iPhone is bland (to me), they also make it hard to mess up. On android, you can install some apps that really mess up battery life. On the iPhone, if such an app exists, Apple will pull it.

I think this is a good point. Both the iPhone and Razr Maxx will give great battery life but both phones are lacking a simple feature that makes batteries irrelevant... A REMOVABLE BATTERY. So many android phones support this, so why do so few not take advantage of it?

I keep a spare fully charged battery in my car and sometimes in my pocket if I know I will be away from a charger. I bought 2 batteries and a wall charger on ebay for $20. Cheap and the big reason I would not own any phone without a removable battery.

It doesn't matter as much in the work day scenario as much as when you are out late or on a plane where you have no option to charge. Look around airport terminals after a flight comes in. Iphone users are practically fighting each other for a power plug. I took a flight from Vancouver to Italy for 22 hours and had 3 batteries. Never had to charge anything but played games and watched videos as much as I wanted.

Get a SGS3 or a Gnex. Problem solved.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the non-removable battery is an issue if you are far from the charger for a long while. I have a Rezound and have 3 extended batteries and a regular battery for those times. you can also get an external battery pack, i have seen trent units in the 5,000mah range for around $20. this is what iPhone or maxx or other non-removable battery users should get, and since the iPhone 5 has a 1440mah battery, you would be able to charge it 3x with one of the 5,000mah models, and they sell larger units if you need. the advantage of these units is it can charge any usb device, so if you upgrade the phone, you can move it. since at one point, i had seven 4G phones, the external batteries are more appealing, but obviously sometimes popping in a new battery is simpler than charging even with an external battery pack.

I think this is a good point. Both the iPhone and Razr Maxx will give great battery life but both phones are lacking a simple feature that makes batteries irrelevant... A REMOVABLE BATTERY. So many android phones support this, so why do so few not take advantage of it?

I keep a spare fully charged battery in my car and sometimes in my pocket if I know I will be away from a charger. I bought 2 batteries and a wall charger on ebay for $20. Cheap and the big reason I would not own any phone without a removable battery.

It doesn't matter as much in the work day scenario as much as when you are out late or on a plane where you have no option to charge. Look around airport terminals after a flight comes in. Iphone users are practically fighting each other for a power plug. I took a flight from Vancouver to Italy for 22 hours and had 3 batteries. Never had to charge anything but played games and watched videos as much as I wanted.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Right now, no it is no competition IMO. This time next year though I predict a 3300mA battery will be the norm.

I agree. Manufacturers are starting to listen finally. Maybe other than htc who seems to think a 1800 is sufficient. I think that sales will suffer for any phone with less than a 2100mAh battery. We need a full day of solid use. At least 16 hours. As long as I can go from my morning to evening regardless.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been considering an external charger. Even with the Maxx I do flash ROMs almost daily, and am on here almost 24/7, and am constantly tweaking settings. So in a day I may not make it.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been considering an external charger. Even with the Maxx I do flash ROMs almost daily, and am on here almost 24/7, and am constantly tweaking settings. So in a day I may not make it.

Not a bad idea. I saw a good review on one. Can't remember the name exactly but it started with M. Muyen or something.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
would come in handy for having multiple devices laying around. a tablet may have a larger battery, but it also sucks more juice. my Kindle is a battery Whore. think i may just get a nexus 7

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I can see the need if traveling a lot but carrying an extra battery around with you to get through a regular day is not something I would ever prefer or anticipate needing to do.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
iPhones have better battery life because Apple listens to people when they say their battery life sucks. Google just says "turn this off, and this off, and then turn this off.. Oh wait, just don't use your phone at all, and your battery will last day and night." Apple also has the advantage of having one device to optimize. Android is optimized for 100's of different types, and from company to company, it's going to vary greatly.

Part of the reason the iPhone battery lasts long is because of the way iPhones multitask (or don't).. They pretty much shut most other apps down while the foreground app is running, unless it's a music app or something.. The multitasking is not as robust. I can't speak too technically on this, but there's articles out there about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance