Smartphone Batteries....is it even a competition?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I can see the need if traveling a lot but carrying an extra battery around with you to get through a regular day is not something I would ever prefer or anticipate needing to do.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

I haven't had to swap out a battery in 3 weeks but if I do I have one available. Most days it's not needed. Usually it's when you are out for the evening at a sports game etc. You can't recharge so the extra battery really helps.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhones have better battery life because Apple listens to people when they say their battery life sucks. Google just says "turn this off, and this off, and then turn this off.. Oh wait, just don't use your phone at all, and your battery will last day and night." Apple also has the advantage of having one device to optimize. Android is optimized for 100's of different types, and from company to company, it's going to vary greatly.

Part of the reason the iPhone battery lasts long is because of the way iPhones multitask (or don't).. They pretty much shut most other apps down while the foreground app is running, unless it's a music app or something.. The multitasking is not as robust. I can't speak too technically on this, but there's articles out there about it.

I know they are such good listeners. Especially when everyone said they didn't like Google maps or youtube so Apple cancelled it. Am I right?

Paleeeeeeze

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know they are such good listeners. Especially when everyone said they didn't like Google maps or youtube so Apple cancelled it. Am I right?

Paleeeeeeze

If they listened to every customer, then they would have a huge mess because this customer wants this, that customer wants that. Apple makes the phone one way that they think will sell the most, like it or leave it. They tossed Google maps because Google wouldn't give them turn by turn nav. I think it was a bit premature since their maps suck, and they should have kept Google maps especially since the contract was still good another year, so imo, that was a screw up. Youtube was removed due to contract agreement, but you can easily download it free from the app store, so i don't really see that as an issue.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If they listened to every customer, then they would have a huge mess because this customer wants this, that customer wants that. Apple makes the phone one way that they think will sell the most, like it or leave it. They tossed Google maps because Google wouldn't give them turn by turn nav. I think it was a bit premature since their maps suck, and they should have kept Google maps especially since the contract was still good another year, so imo, that was a screw up. Youtube was removed due to contract agreement, but you can easily download it free from the app store, so i don't really see that as an issue.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

It wasn't that Google wouldn't give them turn by turn. They just didn't want to pay the price Google was asking. You get what you pay for. Apple users have used this term a few hundred times.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
While I prefer the openness of Android, I sometimes envy the fact that Apple won't put out what they consider an unusable real-world product, and I wish at least one Android manufacturer would pick up this mantra.

...except for Apple Maps.

Edit: I see others have brought it up, too. Their problem is that they released it before it was ready. If they kept developing it for another year or two, it might have been much better for them.

As for YouTube, the Apple-designed app was stagnating. Much better for users to either download an app made by Google, who knows how to make a good YouTube app, or just use the mobile web app. Heck, I think you can even put a web app on a homescreen in iOS, so there's nothing wrong at all with Apple discontinuing their own YouTube app.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Their problem is that they released it before it was ready. If they kept developing it for another year or two, it might have been much better for them.

Apple's problem is hubris. Considering how many errors have been discovered in so short a time, the people at Apple must have known about it before the release. But they released it anyway, probably because (a) they assumed all of the blindly loyal Apple fans (and media) wouldn't notice or care, and (b) they just couldn't stand relying on Google any more. Who can say, but you have to wonder if this would have happened if Steve Jobs had still been alive. Steve hated Google, but he hated imperfection even more.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
...except for Apple Maps.

Edit: I see others have brought it up, too. Their problem is that they released it before it was ready. If they kept developing it for another year or two, it might have been much better for them.

As for YouTube, the Apple-designed app was stagnating. Much better for users to either download an app made by Google, who knows how to make a good YouTube app, or just use the mobile web app. Heck, I think you can even put a web app on a homescreen in iOS, so there's nothing wrong at all with Apple discontinuing their own YouTube app.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

What made me raise an eye brow was more in the spirit if how it was done. Apple keeps trying to stick it to Google by dropping apps when they should be working with them to better the experience for their users. Instead they try to act like they have this new thing that can eliminate competition and also look like the next great thing when it is all just based on a huge ego. They don't think about their users and the Google Maps debacle proves it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't complain about this....gs3 cm10 with lean kernel....if you are talking stock there is no comparison though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349247530603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349247530603.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349247543485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349247543485.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 65

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Steve and Bill? You mean Gates? That's Microsoft. I know that they were friends. But Steve still talked about going thermonuclear on Google up until he died, despite what Larry Page may have said about visiting him close to his death. I think Apple's ramped-up litigation strategy against Samsung was an indicator of Steve's plan.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
i need not get on these forums before my coffee, jeezus. sorry. yes you are right! i still wonder if Steve had lived if things would have gone the way they did. i dont think so IMO.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhones have better battery life because Apple listens to people when they say their battery life sucks. Google just says "turn this off, and this off, and then turn this off.. Oh wait, just don't use your phone at all, and your battery will last day and night." Apple also has the advantage of having one device to optimize. Android is optimized for 100's of different types, and from company to company, it's going to vary greatly.

Part of the reason the iPhone battery lasts long is because of the way iPhones multitask (or don't).. They pretty much shut most other apps down while the foreground app is running, unless it's a music app or something.. The multitasking is not as robust. I can't speak too technically on this, but there's articles out there about it.

I disagree. Apple doesn't listen to anything their customers say. That is why they keep canceling apps n maps. I don't remember a vote on that. At least Motorola, Samsung and now htc have all increased their batteries in their latest phones.

I would rather have to turn something off and have the ability to turn it back on instead of not having the option at all.

And for what it's worth I just had a friend in my office today complaining about how his iphone bluetooth and wifi keep sucking the life out of his battery and how he has to turn it off all the time. He hates having to open settings then selecting wifi then turning it off.

I showed him my power toggle widget and he was like... What! I just the one button on the home screen and not 3 moves to turn it off?... Nope.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Apple actually tells customers what to think. I read how Apple is now blaming the purple haze camera problem on users, and that it's actually somehow normal:

Apple Blames iPhone 5 Users For Camera Troubles

Just like Antennagate. Ah, good times. And for the record, I can take pictures with bright lights with my Razr Maxx, and I don't get a purple haze. I guess that means my phone camera is pretty abnormal.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Ah jeez. That's a good way to piss people off. I wonder how long it will take them to realize their mistake on this one lmao.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Manufacturers are starting to listen finally. Maybe other than htc who seems to think a 1800 is sufficient. I think that sales will suffer for any phone with less than a 2100mAh battery. We need a full day of solid use. At least 16 hours. As long as I can go from my morning to evening regardless.

Nice that HTC listened to me and released the One X+ with a 2100mA. Nice!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Manufacturers are starting to listen finally. Maybe other than htc who seems to think a 1800 is sufficient. I think that sales will suffer for any phone with less than a 2100mAh battery. We need a full day of solid use. At least 16 hours. As long as I can go from my morning to evening regardless.

Ya I don't see why more phone companies aren't coming out with phones like the razr maxx. I have never had a phone that would regularly last me a day at work besides my old iPhone 4 and that would barely last. Having a 3300mah battery and still be under 10mm is amazing. I had the regular razr and it felt almost to thin no rigidity to it. Felt like it would snap in my pocket. I'd much rather take twice the battery life for what 2mm more of thickness?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL