How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Being rooted, you can disable ANYTHING you want with titanium by freezing it. But be careful you can REALLY screw stuff up if you aren't careful.

Also, try force stopping or uninstalling updates for the apps you want to disable

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Braden - Just wanted to say thanks for your post on "How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs"!!! I've been hesitant to try any of this for some reason - I used to do it all the time when I was (had) a Blackberry! I read your post over a couple of times and read the links too. I used Safestrap 3.05 and created 2 slots on Saturday, then loaded Black Widow and JellyCore. I'm having fun playing with them - anyway, thanks again for your hard work!!!

Jim D

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
That really makes me happy to hear you say that hope everything works out well for you and remember to always make a backup in case things go wrong anytime you're tweaking electronics things will go wrong. Feel free to contact me at anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pp8686

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this. I just rooted my droid razr and I'm trying to install a custo ROM. I have been following the directions, but when I reboot, Safestrap is disabled, and the picture on the instructions says Enable. How can I enable safestrap?? Thanks.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this. I just rooted my droid razr and I'm trying to install a custo ROM. I have been following the directions, but when I reboot, Safestrap is disabled, and the picture on the instructions says Enable. How can I enable safestrap?? Thanks.

Just keep following the tutorial. Safestrap should still be disabled at the step you're at. You'll make a backup, and then enable Safestrap to install your custom ROM.

BigWood206

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Flawless Root and flash (first time) using this thread! I used Safestrap v3 because of the obvious convenience factor and had no problems. Thanks again!

Stay Classy?

Justin Lenderman

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Turning safe OFF will revert you back to your stock rom. you only retore when you have safe turned ON, as this means you are not working with your stock rom when the system is ON i dont know if everything works on Alltel like it does for Verizon as this stuff was made for Verizon. if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

so Im in the same boat.... I backed up my device as instructed, now I need to go back So that I can save my contacts in google or on my sd card. Then go back to Artic HD. Is this possible?

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks.

Got my Razr Maxx before Christmas and have been on a couple of forums trying to learn the ins and outs of rooting it. I'm taking the warnings of "You brick, your fault" seriously, so I'm educating myself before I root. :)

I've been in touch with Chris (cole2kb) and Matt L Groff and a few others. My phone is on Ntelos (not verizon). Don't mean to post in the wrong place, but there aren't any Ntelos threads that I'm aware of, and you guys are the only ones around who have the expertise! :cool:

So, here are the facts as I understand them:

- My phone is currently unrooted (duh).
- With my system version being on 6.16.300, option 1 on Matt's utility won't work for me because it is made for .211 (or other configurations), and my phone is on 6.16.300.XT908. Which means, I think,

- If I root under current conditions, it's a one-way ride with no way back to stock (6.16.300 XT908).

- I understand the qe 0/0 thing.

- There are few if any custom ROMS out there for Ntelos, but Chris has offered to make a patch for me/us if I will get off my butt, root, and sent him a backup of a file. This will (I think) allow me to benefit from all of his hard work in patching Alltel phones over to Verizon ROMS. He is willing do a patch to make an Ntelos phone work with a Verizon ROM (again, I think!) ????? :)

So... questions at this point:

- How hard is it to get a file made for Option #1 of Matt's Utility 1.82 that will be able to get me back to 6.16.300.XT908 if needed? (probably not gonna happen, right?)

- If I can't get the 6.16.300 file, and I root, will my system still work on Ntelos, or will it thinks it's on Verizon as a result of using Matt's utility?

- Will my original Ntelos settings still be in there as one of the 4 saved ROMs that I will be able to have from installing SafeStrap?

- What else are you guys seeing that I am obviously clueless about but really need to know?

Chris has been patiently waiting for me to root and has been consistently offering to help (thanks, Chris). But being one of the lonely few Ntelos users on Razr Maxx, I have to make sure I don't fall into the "u-brick-u-lose" club. Sorry if I'm trying anyone's patience. Just trying to read the fine print and get it right before I hit "2" and enter on Matt's utility!!

If I've got any of this wrong, please explain so I can understand.

Thanks for the help and patience folks!

Bob
:p

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-23.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-30.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 14

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to root using Matt's utility just fine.

The closest thing you'll have to going back to stock is going back to rooted stock. You can't use Matt's utility option 1 for this but you should be able to return to stock by un installing Safestrap and unrooting.

The rom slots don't touch your stock system so you don't really have to worry about bricking or losing your stock system and settings. Just make sure to ask questions if you get stuck.

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
So the "rooted stock" system isn't one of the 4 roms that you can load; ok.

Am I understanding this correctly: Once you root, you can boot to either (a) the "non-safe" system, which is the stock system, or (b) the "safe" system, which would be your choice of any one of the 4 roms that you put in the 4 rom slots. Correct? And the roms are what you have made "patches" for so they will work with non-Verizon phones, right?

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Won't know anything until you successfully root. If it works then that would open the gate for more things like ROMs and such.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
We both have the same generic CDMA RAZR MAXX with the same kernel version. I see no reason in the world why you couldn't root. Go for it! :)

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok folks, da Wuff is in da house!!! I'm rooted, using Matt's utility (Thanks Matt) and thanks Chris and thanks Bradenfontaine!!! :)

I've got Superuser installed, and made a Titanium B/U of everything. Chris, I have LOADED Safestrap 2.11 but have NOT run it. Should I use it, or the newer one (version 3-point-whatever)?

Bob

Last edited:

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
what we need first is a backup. i say 211 is safe for you to make a backup. give that a shot. but as fast as things move, 3.11 is out now and that is what Jelly Bean will require. so.... i dont know the answer :/ and i hate not knowing. try 3.11, it is all touch based and has a better build to it. there, 3.11 is my final answer.

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
ok, I installed 3.11 and did my first backup. No problems. Got the stock rom backed up, and right now that's all I have. So far, so good! NO GLITCHES WHATSOEVER!!!!

Thanks Bradenfontaine and Chris!!! Another satisfied customer! :D

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm running jb on my maxx and would like to get the arctic HD ROM. I have no idea how to do it though. I already rooted my phone but don't know where to go from here. Please help!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm running jb on my maxx and would like to get the arctic HD ROM. I have no idea how to do it though. I already rooted my phone but don't know where to go from here. Please help!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Dylan,

I'd put Safestrap 3.11 on next and run it. This gives you a way to manage your ROMs. You can keep your stock rom in one "slot" and then add 4 additional custom roms to the 4 other slots, and can select what you want to run from a menu when you boot up.

Here is a link to get Safestrap 3.11: [RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.1 [12/29/2012 V3.11 - Stock Flash+] - xda-developers

Bob

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance