Certified Like New my rear...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm obviously being polite when I made the title but this is unacceptable. I've had several Maxx replacements and all of them have had their own issues either from the start or shortly after. My first replacement arrived due to my phone rebooting itself all of the time and overheating. Okay, no big deal and there were no rogue applications running. But here is where the fun comes in.

1.) Arrived in excellent condition but the ear piece speaker was blown and created static.
2.) The top left corner was pulling away from the device.
3.) The SIM Card door didn't close fully and wasn't flush. One side wasn't securing.
4.) The SIM Card door was loose, but that's not that bad as it closed. But the speaker was again blown.
5.) This device worked for a while, but began to vibrate by itself when in my pocket, on a table, or in a belt pouch. You name it. No damage to device, attempted factory restore, all failed.
6.) Received this week, seemed fine. A small chip in the chrome which I find unacceptable but I would be willing to deal with it if the phone was good. Big black splotch, dim, but splotch. And yes, I'm aware of the AMOLED screens flaws, but this happens at 100% brightness on a white screen.
7.) Phone comes in, scratch on the chrome again. Fine, but what the heck!? About to leave to go get dinner so I throw it on my dock. But wait, it won't dock! The ports are misaligned! I can plug it in without the dock, but when both require being lined up, it won't work. Well, unless you wiggle it upon inserting it into the dock. This will allow it to dock a few times than fail.
8.) On it's way...

Verizon offered me another Certified Like New Replacement such as the Nexus, but I declined. I need this battery and signal strength and not the weak battery of the Nexus. I've been told that Verizon does not offer new devices as replacements, but I'm about to make that demand shortly. Come on already! I've never had this much bad luck with a phone since the Storm. But the Storm was a terrible device from the box... Who refurbishes this crap!?

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
My "certified like new" device has the same flaw as a couple of yours had. The sd/Sim card door does not shut completely. It's not a big deal as my case covers it which makes it shut completely. But, yes, i agree. It's unacceptable when they claim like new, yet it comes with many flaws.

If this one does come back as flawed as the other ones i would try to get a brand new one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My "certified like new" device has the same flaw as a couple of yours had. The sd/Sim card door does not shut completely. It's not a big deal as my case covers it which makes it shut completely. But, yes, i agree. It's unacceptable when they claim like new, yet it comes with many flaws.

If this one does come back as flawed as the other ones i would try to get a brand new one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I'm going to have to try it because this is ridiculous. I actually think there may be a few more devices I forgot to mention but those were all the same problems such as panels pulling away, black stripping popping out, etc. I rarely use a case so it's a big deal for the SIM Card door to at least close. I understand if it moves a bit and won't complain at all but when one side does not close at all it's ridiculous.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Never had any problems with any of my replacements for any phones. If you have insurance just pay the deductible I think they still give you a new one

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Never had any problems with any of my replacements for any phones. If you have insurance just pay the deductible I think they still give you a new one

I'm not willing to spend an additional $100 + an insurance claim when you only get two per year before they drop you because Verizon can't refurbish a device properly. I appreciate the advice but it doesn't make sense to do so. I'll keep forcing Verizon to spend money on shipping and device repair if they want to keep doing so.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Phone number 8 came in and I'm sending it back. I'll just deal with that slight splotch because this is ridiculous. No mechanical issues or anything like that, but I'm not living with every single panel from top to bottom making creaking noises. I know it's a small issue and I'm choosing what I consider the lesser of two evils. I even put a Cruzer Lite case on the device and can feel the panels moving around as if they are not clipped properly. For a device that once felt so solid this has gotten out of hand. I'm sure some may consider this a small issue but the phones with screen issues and speaker issues were built solid. The ONE device without any issue feels like every panel is moving and it makes a horrible noise no matter how hard or where you grip it.

Thank you Verizon - your CLNR is absolutely awful again. :(

Off the device I got in today goes and back to the sorta splotchy screen. At least the splotch isn't that noticeable and only mostly on moving screens. It's always there, but I can live with it a lot easier than this creaking crap!

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Ever think you're too picky?

Personally I find it hard to believe that that many devices have all had issues.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ever think you're too picky?

Personally I find it hard to believe that that many devices have all had issues.

I wish I were too picky and could live with it. But SIM card doors that don't close, splotches on full brightness and white screen, blown speakers, etc are not my fault nor picky. The newest device is by far one of the worst built phones I've ever held. It sounds like a cheap Chevrolet Cavalier when you hold it even with the slightest grip. Its loud, not even a subtle creak like normal. As I've said, I can live with creaks as its normal but not when its louder than the call itself. Yes, its that loud...

I've had so many phones without issues including the BlackBerry Tour, G1, Motorola DROID, Droid 2 (minus the keyboard once coming loose from heat), Thunderbolt, RAZR, and my original Maxx before that failed but its build quality was superb. I expected the replacement to be of the same quality but it never is. I'm sending back the newest device and keeping my current one and I'm done asking for replacements. The quality control is absolutely awful and it makes me wish I had a build quality of the iPhone 5. I'm not a fan but my friends was made like a brick.!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would like to note that the scratches on the chrome always have a texture to them. Its never a surface scratch and its just deep enough to feel. That's why I say this process of refurbishing is pathetic. Surface scratches happen but not ones you feel.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
People will get mad at me for this, and I know you mentioned how you need the battery.........but I sold my Maxx and bought an S3 and couldn't be happier. The radio signal is SLIGHTLY weaker in some places, but stronger in others. The reason I bring this up, is because people rag on Samsung's build quality. I loved my Maxx, but you are not having a good experience with Moto's build quality. Maybe they'd switch it for a S3 and the battery life would have to be the downside in order to get a quality device? (Again, not that the Maxx isn't quality because I loved mine- I'm just going off of your terrible luck)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
People will get mad at me for this, and I know you mentioned how you need the battery.........but I sold my Maxx and bought an S3 and couldn't be happier. The radio signal is SLIGHTLY weaker in some places, but stronger in others. The reason I bring this up, is because people rag on Samsung's build quality. I loved my Maxx, but you are not having a good experience with Moto's build quality. Maybe they'd switch it for a S3 and the battery life would have to be the downside in order to get a quality device? (Again, not that the Maxx isn't quality because I loved mine- I'm just going off of your terrible luck)

I hear you but I use my Maxx at work a lot with no charger. Just yesterday, I was down to 40% as I left work. :-/

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They are not gonna replace an old phone with a newer one.

Well, I wouldn't say that as I've had it done before when I went from a Storm to a brand new pre ordered Tour at no charge. My friend was offered a Nexus or Maxx when she had a RAZR but not sure why they did this. Heck, not sure why the Maxx was even offered if her RAZR was bad.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
They go by full retail price. The nexus and razr/maxx are similar in price. That's why. Same reason I got my maxx for my nexus.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They go by full retail price. The nexus and razr/maxx are similar in price. That's why. Same reason I got my maxx for my nexus.

Good stuff.

Either way, not an option. I want this phone so I'll keep working it as long as needed. For now, ill stick with my current one.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard motorola makes you send your phone in and they repair it. So you get the same phone back. That's if you can deal with being without a phone for like 2 weeks.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

In my experience the insurance is just as bad as VZW. I have almost always received used phones from them too.

For as much money aside spend on phones the whole certified like used bs is inexcusable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard motorola makes you send your phone in and they repair it. So you get the same phone back. That's if you can deal with being without a phone for like 2 weeks.

I would love to do this but two issues: I need a phone and I'm sure the issues would persist. Verizon claims Motorola refurbished the units they receive so its ridiculous.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess you could just keep getting replacements. There's nothing in your contract that says how many you can have. Maybe you can get them to give you a credit on your bill for the trouble.

I must have had luck with my phones or something because all my replacements have always worked better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007